Nomalanga: Why Men Like Paul Ryan Date Black Women

By Nomalanga Mhlauli-Moses

Paul Ryan, the Republican Party’s  nominee for Vice President of the United States in the 2012 election, “casually” mentioned, in an interview, that he dated a Black woman. He also mentioned that he has a Black sister in law.Somehow this brought back memories of when I would be around non-Black people who would try to make me feel “comfortable” by telling me that they had a Black maid, but I digress.

So now we know that Paul Ryan dated a Black woman-now what? Well we know that Ryan mentioned those particular tidbits of information to somehow make a case for his ongoing campaign to convince us that he is not a racist and has the interest of Black people in mind as he vies for the number two spot in running the country.

Soooo, since he brought it up, lets mull over why men like him, a white conservative from small- town-USA might end up dating a woman like Deneeta Pope, a Black woman who supports the re-election of President Obama.

Well, maybe Ryan and Pope did not burden themselves with all this race talk and were instead, two people who happened to take a liking to each other, dated, found out it wasn’t mean to be and amicably went their separate ways. According to TMZ, Pope says Ryan and his wife even attended Pope’s wedding in May.

On the other hand, we’ve all heard the ridiculous myth that Black women in America only fit in one of two boxes: prude or crude, as in having an insatiable appetite when it comes to “rolling in the hay”. That being said, I can think of few men, none actually, who would be drawn to a woman because they think she is prude… So maybe, Mr. Ryan had an understandable curiosity about what it would be like to date a Black woman, you know, to see if the myth is true.

Obviously neither of the possible reasons I have cited are supposed to be a college level thesis, but I do find it interesting that his brother is married to a Black woman. Maybe the Ryan brothers are not just “curious” but just happen to be men who have the ability to see a woman for more than her skin color.

The next question then, is: does that make a difference in the upcoming presidential race?  Well, if I were one of those people who actually thought that being a Republican or a Democrat meant anything, I would probably not jump from my assumed Democratic side to the Republican side just because the nominee for the number two position, on the Republican side,  dated a Black woman years ago and I seriously doubt that anyone else would.

56 Responses to Nomalanga: Why Men Like Paul Ryan Date Black Women

1. John Reply

August 31, 2012 at 4:31 pm

Having a black ex-girlfriend means almost nothing. Paul Ryan can still have policies that hurt black people and even have a bunch of black friends. It’s silly to presume otherwise.

• Greg Reply

September 5, 2012 at 10:26 pm

I think it does mean something if we use it against him right. I will pillar him with it. But the real reason why is that I would make him question himself. I would try to break that white boy. I would call him White Mandingo to get totally under his skin. I know white guys like this. They can be tormented by the contradiction in their personal and professional lives. I think it bothered Elvis to a degree. I wished I could tape an interogation of Paul Ryan. I would tear him up. He may wished he could really be with a black woman. I would find this out, and I would attack him like a Black Panther. I would question his final and true commitment to the white race. This is something I know that can be used to further a black agenda.

2. gary Reply

August 31, 2012 at 4:52 pm

• Greg Reply

September 2, 2012 at 3:07 pm

“That boy having a black girl friend doesn’t mean a damn thing,actually just because she has pigmentation has nothing to do with her being black,proud ,strong ,nothing.She probably is an oreo type of black woman who was just safe enough for Ryan to soil and experiment with.”

You win most racist comment of the day. If I have to explain it to you, you also qualify for entry in the moron of the year category

• Peter Reply

September 3, 2012 at 9:48 am

This may be the sickest thing I have ever read. I am a Canadian, and love visiting your country, but attitudes like this make me wonder how anyone can be this hateful.

• John West Reply

September 3, 2012 at 10:51 am

Obviously, you do not read the Toronto Star to the Globe and Mail. Those twits are hateful and often racist against white people … conservative white people.

Wise up.

• Greg Reply

September 5, 2012 at 10:18 pm

You sound just like a silly white boy. You sheltered simpletons never understand anything about race except in how to be a racist. His statement has merit. He only served it up as speculation of how it could be for Paul Ryan. None of us exactly know. You people keep pretending this racial equality that does not exsist among white any other people in the United States. You are always out of the loop with everyone else. There will never be equality between black and white in this world. Take this from a person who grew up in the ghette having a best white friend. It is not natural for white people. It is all contrived for them to do as good as they do these days. They will never be what they should be. That is the reality of being white.

• d-rhyme Reply

September 6, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Stay proud Gary. These oreos have very low self esteem. Stupid white women can’t see that’s what causes their azz to be beat half to death by these Oreo men. Low self esteem makes you violent. You cannot have a healthy relationship unless you are equally yoked. Treat black self esteem issues or suffer the consequences. Reparations now.

3. Elizabeth Reply

August 31, 2012 at 5:45 pm

Has anybody seen this African-American sister-in-law? In the photo with this so-called girlfriend Ryan looks suspect to me…a cheerleader, HMMMMMM!

He and his current wife attended this woman’s wedding…weird.

4. Stu Reply

August 31, 2012 at 8:11 pm

Good for her…She found her Jesus. And she probably did’nt find him or her ex’s in church either.

5. Robert Reply

August 31, 2012 at 11:10 pm

So Ryan dated a black woman, thats good for race relations but has absolutely nothing to do with politics with him being a conservative or a liberal which he is not. Everyone should choose whoever they date by the content of their character, not the color of their skin any way. Any friend that I choose is based on this criteria, even If they was from outer space. Good and bad people exists in all races, although we all are a product of our environment, which is basically negative, we must all ways strive to be positive with God’s Love in our hearts toward every one, no exceptions.

• The Angel Reply

August 31, 2012 at 11:13 pm

Amen

6. The Angel Reply

August 31, 2012 at 11:12 pm

Please explain why this is a story at all? Will he help create jobs? Public assistance is not a future, a job can very well turn into a career; which is more important?
    SMH

• DJ Reply

September 5, 2012 at 9:41 pm

Look, I don’t like Paul Ryan’s politics at all, but how the hell does the author know why he dated this woman? The problem that I have with all of this is that so little value is placed upon this sister, as if she she was some skeezer would date a man who only wanted to have sex with her, rather than a college students pursuing a successful career which she was. It is reported that they were together for five years. Not many men hang around for five years in a committed relationship soley so that she can hit it. Also, the fact that his brother has married an African American women means that there is some openness regarding inter-racial love and marriage among his clan. Stop selling Black women short. Her felon activities happened long after they dated and we don’t know the full facts behind that incident. Some people say that she likes the attention. Who wants to have every aspect of their lives investigated and it publicized that they are a felon? The girl may not have wanted this known, as she has obviously moved on and made something of her life. This news could affect her job, etc. At the end of the day, the only thing important about Ryan are his policies. He is a utra-conservative. Does this make him a racist automatically? Not really. There are Black conservatives as well, who actually care about Black people. They just believe in conservatism. In the end, we just have to keep this man out of office, despite what his personal attributes are. The fact is, that his budget would hurt many people.

7. Suga Reply

September 1, 2012 at 7:23 pm

Who really cares if he did date a african american woman. It doesnt mean nothing.other than he was sampling to see what it was like …Why mention it at all if this dating thing mint anything but what it is.

8. jlo1965 Reply

September 2, 2012 at 12:12 am

I had a black eye once !

9. Mark Reply

September 2, 2012 at 12:27 am

I am a Caucasian male and proudly married to an African-American female. I am quite astonished as I read these comments…especially from AA female. I am always telling my wife how unbelievable it is that so many African American men seemingly reject their beautiful women for “other” ethnicities. Moreover, I am surpised that the women are making disparaging remarks against
    Mr. Ryan’s previous girlfriend who is AA. I have learned to ignore the stares and comments but it appears that the ladies here can’t understand that Caucasian men find them beautiful. Period. No agenda, no ulterior motive. I am a good man and found a good woman who has very high self esteem and never has to remind me that I am truly the lucky one,.

• Stu Reply

September 19, 2012 at 9:41 pm

Be happy that you have a Black woman who is willing to ‘submit’ to a white man. Some Black women act very differently when the man in question is Black. So thank your ancestors for the system they created which insures that the majority of Black women will defile the men of their race, while worshipping the men of another.

10. Alissa Reply

September 2, 2012 at 12:43 am

Looks like the white Republican boys are doing what the Black Democrat boys won’t…marry themselves a black woman…oh I forgot, black men “can’t find a suitable black woman who is not loud.” Ever thought about becoming a Republican /???

11. Robert W. Reply

September 2, 2012 at 1:07 pm

As a white Canadian male who has dated women of most every ethnicity, religion, and skin colour, I’m rather shocked by this posting and the follow-up comments.

Reading through the underlying narrative, one could only come to these conclusions:

1. Paul Ryan is a racist because he’s a Republican. Because, of course, all Republicans are racist.

2. If you’re a Black American and “dare” to think that a lifetime of endless social programs for a non-debilitated person isn’t a good thing then you’re a sell-out to others with your skin colour.

The GOP is hardly the perfect political party but if you don’t see how deeply effective the DNC propaganda has been at establishing a permanent victim mentality in your minds then you are truly wasting your lives playing a role you don’t need to.

• Greg Reply

September 6, 2012 at 11:36 pm

You may have dated some of every color women, but you are still a white devil. You want your cake and eat it too. That is the sure sign or a modern white devil. The old white devil stayed in his rightful place. You new devils have gotten much greedier. White people really have not changed.

12. jon Reply

September 2, 2012 at 2:14 pm

I too am Canadian, recently moved to the states with my family, and find it shocking, the sheer lunacy of the left, an the victim class (black powwow in this case) regarding phantom racism in the US. All is what you see on TV, and hear about on the radio is “racism, racism racism!”, see not a hint of it in the real world.

Honestly, you folks need to grow up. You are causing told harm to your kids, and your nation.

• Letsunderstand Reply

September 6, 2012 at 11:46 pm

So says the White Canadian, who is so versed in the lives lived by the average Black Americans.

When was the last time you were Black in America?

13. jon Reply

September 2, 2012 at 2:24 pm

Corrections
    People, not powwow
    Untold harm, not told harm.

note: a white guy dates a black woman for the same reason he dates a white women. Any thoughts outside this truth are simply an exercise in fiction. It would be worth while reevaluating your entire premise and likely you’re entire world view, as you seem to have confused mindless and baseless ranting for intelligent thought. I’ve rarely read such mindless tripe.

14. Reginald Reply

September 2, 2012 at 2:31 pm

Robert W., above, says it so eloquently. The DNC and its supporters maintain this race-conscious baiting as a political tool to keep blacks and other minorities in lock-step with hatred for Republicans. Never mind that the majority of blacks and Hispanics hold social values more closely alligned with Ryan and Romney than Obama and Biden.

It was Biden who recently ratcheted up the hyperbole by saying that Republicans want to see blacks back in chains. Seriously, does Joe Biden believe that? Did anyone in the audience really believe that? Indeed, it is the democrats who want minorities shackled to their agenda of entitlements. What I say metaphorically, Biden said literally. It’s a sort of mental illness running through the minds of liberals who seem to forget that white Northern Republicans not only freed the slaves in the 1860s, but overwhelmingly supported the Civil Rights Acts of the 1960s. But that history is politically inconvenient.

It is regrettable that Paul Ryan NEEDED to provide positive evidence that he’s not a racist. The presumption of his innocence has already been rebutted by people like you. I am old enough to remember when Jesse Jackson called all Republicans racist when David Duke, a Klansman, ran for office in Louisiana. This, despite the fact that Ronald Reagan, George HW Bush, and Lee Atwater all condemned Duke and endorsed his democrat rival.

Sorry to tell you this, but you are the only racists left in America who have any political voice.

• Letsunderstand Reply

September 6, 2012 at 11:31 pm

“I am old enough to remember when Jesse Jackson called all Republicans racist when David Duke, a Klansman, ran for office in Louisiana. This, despite the fact that Ronald Reagan, George HW Bush, and Lee Atwater all condemned Duke and endorsed his democrat rival.”
      So can I, and this why I find people like you so disingenuous – you’ll only acknowledge what you perceive the most egregious of Democrats, but fail to see the subtexts of Republican RACIAL pronouncements. In your wisdom, you made reference to Reagan, G. H. W Bush and Lee Atwater, the man who ran the White House presidential bids for both Reagan and Bush, and who gave us Willy Horton. A man who could not find ANY OTHER SUITABLE location in the entire US to have Reagan launch his campaign for his party (republican) nomination but next door Philadelphia, Mississippi speaking about “States’ Rights and Welfare Queens.”
      I’d suggest you get a hold of a documentary on the life of Lee Atwater and watch it. You may not be so quick to acknowledge him as a pantheon racial equality.
      As to this assertion,” it’s a sort of mental illness running through the minds of liberals who seem to forget that white Northern Republicans not only freed the slaves in the 1860s, but overwhelmingly supported the Civil Rights Acts of the 1960s. But that history is politically inconvenient.”
      What you fail to understand or is just being disingenuous, the institution of CHATTEL SLAVERY existed throughout the entire early United States – not just the US South. I am just sick and tired of people like you who believe that people of African descent should be thankful that they were freed by white people. Nobody had to free anybody, if people of your ilk did not perniciously enslave them in the first place, and even after they were freed, were hamstrung (Jim Crow) for nearly another century by the descendants of that same ilk that held them in chattel servitude. Please understand this, I’m not talking about party affiliation – the issue was/is race. There would never have been any need for the Civil Rights Act if there was no Jim Crow. Don’t expect American of African descent to pat you on your back or like-minded people of yourself for abolishing slavery and giving them “rights”
      Cease asking for magnanimity from African American because they were freed by whites.
      What’s next, reparation from African American to all the descendants and kinfolk of the soldiers who died in the Civil War? Highly unlikely!
      This is absolutely preposterous. It ‘ tantamount to you gouging out my eyes, hands me a “white cane,” and then asserts that I should be thankful for the cane. Burn down my house, provides me with a hovel and expects gratitude. This is totally illogical.

• Letsunderstand Reply

September 6, 2012 at 11:36 pm

Should read – It’s tantamount to…

• Letsunderstand Reply

September 6, 2012 at 11:51 pm

Correction – should read – the most egregiousness of Democrats…

• reciprocity Reply

September 8, 2012 at 1:35 pm

***

15. Dewayne Reply

September 3, 2012 at 12:50 pm

Black World Coalition? Imagine an organization named White World Coalition.

• Greg Reply

September 6, 2012 at 12:08 pm

What does the name has to do with it? It is funny how all these silly accusations are made against black organizations. But Jews, Asians, Arabs, Whites, and Native Americans do this anyway. I don’t think you would ever ask this question to the many Jewish Organizations. They got you to give them a homeland and reparations without any past fault of this country.

• Stu Reply

September 19, 2012 at 9:47 pm

It does not have to be named for it is practiced. Just watch your tv and count how many whites you see in comparison with other races.

16. Kells Reply

September 5, 2012 at 3:17 pm

Really I’d like to know what the extent of this “relationship” was. Having relations with someone doesn’t mean a doggone thing! Just last week he was being blasted because this chick is a felon! Clearly he had sex with her, liked it and continued on for a period of time! All the rest is to try and buy votes. She’s not going to say anything different. She’s getting national attention! And his brother being married to someone black doesn’t amuse me either.

17. Greg Reply

September 5, 2012 at 9:27 pm

I find the author of this article to be hypocritical in her assessment of this for black females, but she takes another tone when it comes to black men being with non black women. She has consistently disapproved of black men being with non black women. Here, she takes it in stride as a natural chance of two people coming together from by the way of pure selection. I don’t have a problem with that. But she can’t have it for black women, but it is something else for black men. Black men and black women can choose their mates own their own terms. It is a free country for black men and black women.

18. d-rhyme Reply

September 6, 2012 at 11:07 am

You racist liberals. Don’t ask me to date you, f”ck you or nothing til you correct what was done to me and my ancestors. You are a low life expecting forgiveness with no contrition. Fake azz. You locking up all these black men who did nothing comparable to slavery. You are the racist thinking that dating black makes it all better. Just like a predator. Expecting the woman you rape to be your friend. IT SPEAKS VOLUMES OF YOUR CHARACTER TO DATE BLACK AND NOT TRY TO HEAL BLACK. Oh blacks should just be happy to be in your presence, you sick white suoremacist.

19. d-rhyme Reply

September 6, 2012 at 11:40 am

English defines black as evil. How in your deranged mind is this fair to expect me to be around or integrate into English society. It is death to my self esteem. Let me see you integrate with black Muslims who consider you devils. I don’t see anyone white trying to be a black muslim . You have a hidden agenda cloaked by racial harmony and integration. It is time for humans to give up their animal ways.

20. SYLVIA Reply

September 6, 2012 at 5:37 pm

I am married to the sweetest man ever! He is white, we met in college almost twenty years ago. The strange remarks and stares come from more black people than white. We encounter more black racist than white.
    That is really sad … because Black men can be really ruthless with their remarks for no reason at all.

21. d-rhyme Reply

September 6, 2012 at 6:40 pm

Ugly fat white man with a lovely sister. Ain’t fair. That is a joke to say blacks are racist to expect atonement for atrocities committed. If I steal your property, will you let me claim racism when you ask for it back? Blacks cannot be racist until racist injustice has been corrected. THATS BLAMING YOUR VICTIM!!!!!!!!

22. HotChocolate Reply

September 12, 2012 at 6:26 pm

You must admit the colors we come in are attractive. There has never been a time in the history of the world that color was not more attractive than non-color. I get a lot of looks of interest based solely on my color. It’s a beautiful thing. That is why they hate us so.
    Love yourselves you beautiful American Africans!
    It’s okay, don’t worry about what they think.

23. dream Reply

October 31, 2012 at 5:17 pm

@ Letsunderstand. Amen to you, a strong brother with knowledge. I have 3 boys I try my best to raise them knowing our history. So that they can never feel inferior to the whites. I make sure they know, they have to work 2x harder then white class. I just wish there was more black power out there. Our black boys today are made to believe we not worthy of love so they run to other racist. It’s A shame to not lover the most powerful, strong, loving women ever made.

24. orchid Reply

October 31, 2012 at 6:48 pm

This is the dumbest article I have ever had the misfortune to start reading.

25. Leigh Stefanick Reply

April 2, 2013 at 10:46 am

If you’re a man who’d like to meet and date Asian women for friendship or marriage, you’re definitely not alone. The Asian woman, with her beauty and traditional values is very desirable, especially to a society that seems to be losing its way with happiness in relationships. Not many will argue this fact as divorce rates go through the roof, and men seem to be more miserable than ever.`