Gabby Douglas’ Mom To Hair Critics: “She Lives With a White Host Family”

Natalie Hawkins Attributes Daughter’s “Hair Flop” To Living in Iowa with a White Host Family

by Maria Lloyd

As if it wasn’t already shameful enough for a 16 year-old Olympic Gold Medalist to waste time responding to her hair critics, her mother, Natalie Hawkins, has also decided to turn to the media to address her daughter’s hair critics. As opposed to telling them to ‘kick rocks’ like her history-making daughter did, Natalie decided to give critics an explanation for her daughter’s “hair flop.”

Here’s what Hawkins told her daughter’s hair critics: “She lives with a white host family and they don’t know anything about taking care of her hair. And there’s no black salons in their area [in Iowa] –- not one. We had to work really hard to find a stylist to come and do her hair.”

She also criticized the hair critics for potentially ruining her daughter’s self-esteem: “How ignorant is it of people to comment on her hair and she still has more competitions to go. Are you trying to ruin her self confidence? She has to go out there and feel good about herself, and if she feels good about herself on that floor, who are you to criticize her? What have you done to help contribute to her dream, that you felt it necessary to put it out there so that she could see it.

One must wonder if little Gabby has succumbed to the scrutiny of becoming an overnight sensation, as she finished last in the uneven bars final yesterday. This is one instance in which Hawkins would’ve served her daughter justice by not responding to her critics as opposed to giving them an explanation for her daughter’s hair. Instead of treating her daughter’s hair with relaxers, she should strongly consider allowing Gabby to be natural. Gabby’s hair wouldn’t suffer nearly half of the damage from sweat and ponytails if she were natural.

105 Responses to Gabby Douglas’ Mom To Hair Critics: “She Lives With a White Host Family”

1. Paula Settles Reply

August 7, 2012 at 10:29 pm

To Gabby’s Mom: I am sorry that you felt it necessary to address this though I can understand why. The whole’hair thing’ is such a deep part of our culture. There are over 300 years of history that contribute to it. And I’m very afraid that at 62, I won’t live to see this issue put to rest. I really don’t even think (now that I’ve had time to process it) that the petty and ignorant meant any real harm. But harm was, in fact, done. Gabby is a beautiful, powerful, bright, talented young lady and the country and the WORLD are proud of her. She could’ve cured cancer and someone would’ve said something about her hair. It’s that deep, unfortunately. Condoleza Rice was the first African American Secretary of State, for goodness sake, and the hair issue was constantly brought up. In the 60′s when we were black and proud, I thought we had buried this. I see from all the perms (creamy crack!) and weaves that we are still not comfortable with our own natural beauty. Please tell Gabby, that the important thing is what she did and who she is. Besides, to me, her hair looked like the rest of the team’s. Also tell her, that those same women/girls criticize Michelle Obama’s hair from time to time. She will learn to ignore this, but it is a journey. Tell her to count her 90 million dollar endorsements and say, ‘BooYah!’ I LOVE her! She’s got the total package! And mom? You do too!

• VSR Reply

August 8, 2012 at 11:03 am

Paula, Thank you so much! It was a welcomed sight to see a comment from another woman in my age group that clearly recalls the pride we women feel sporting our huge Afros, hoping that that Age of Enlightenment would put an end to our fascination with fair skin and straight hair. Sadly in 2012, that is still not the case and the self-hatred and continued delight with Eurocentric beauty remains.
      Gabby is obviously talented, skilled and the best of the best. I regret that her mother felt it necessary to honor the plantation remarks with a response but after see her photo & flowing synthetic locks I realize she may either have health issues or be a bit confused about her own identity. Either way this is clearly Gabby’s moment to shine and she’s earned it.

• Regina Reply

August 8, 2012 at 12:19 pm

I agree with you ladies! I’m not quite in your age group but I do have a great appreciation for who we are and where we came from as a people! My daughter is 22 and she is natural! I have never seen her look so beautiful in my life! If I were Gabby’s mom, I probably would not have responded to the ignorant bafoons who are hating on her child! She is indeed a lovely young lady with a PRETTY FACE AND BEAUTIFUL SMILE! You can’t really beat that in my opinion! She is going to be just fine and the haters can keep hating!

• Bill Reply

August 8, 2012 at 1:52 pm

I just love what Paula haqve to say have not read the other just yet. no matter who you are or what you do
      there wil always be critics and hater as well, they just may be both.

• Bill Reply

August 8, 2012 at 1:57 pm

This is all hype, it is making money dont fall for it
      dont go in the mud let them keep their mud bath.

• burn Reply

August 8, 2012 at 2:10 pm

Paula Settles there should’nt be no more comments after reading yours,YOU said it all . A good read !!!

• Erika Reply

August 8, 2012 at 4:00 pm

Great comment!!!

• Cheryl Ricketts Reply

August 8, 2012 at 6:43 pm

well said. People need to get a life for real.

2. Karmen Reply

August 7, 2012 at 10:32 pm

Lord ,How can be so Ingnorant & Cruel .This child won several gold medalls and people are focusing on her hair .Come on people she is an Olimpic Champion @ only 16 yrs old .. Praise her & Bless her . God bless you .

• Bill Reply

August 8, 2012 at 1:54 pm

Its not in the world’s DNA no matter what is that you do
      Look at the other side and keep moving dont get stck mental warfare…

3. kim Reply

August 7, 2012 at 10:43 pm

” Instead of treating her daughter’s hair with relaxers, she should strongly consider allowing Gabby to be natural”

I wear my hair natural but this is not the time to be a natural hair snob. The issue here isnt whether her hair is straight or natural as we all know not all natural hair is a piece of cake to manage either. The issue here is that her hair was ever an issue.Period.

• Erika Reply

August 8, 2012 at 4:04 pm

AMEN!!! As black women we need to do BETTER by our black girls. This whole thing is outrageous! Young girls need to learn to love themselves HOWEVER they look and who better to teach them but us older young women? We’ve failed miserably in this case and its shameful. Internalized self-hate smh

4. A. J. Brooks Reply

August 7, 2012 at 11:17 pm

You still don’t get it (directed to the author)Gabby’s hair had absolutely NOTHING to do with her performance. She could have been bald and still performed flawlessly, it really didn’t matter to her. Now, as she has stated, she is confused as to why people are wondering about the condition of her hair and not her performance. Her entire disposition has changed since then and she appears to be wondering whose watching her and what will be said. Fortunately, thanks to her enduring free spirit and personal Motherly council she will get over this unfortunate incident.

5. patricia west Reply

August 7, 2012 at 11:26 pm

there is nothing wrong with gabby’s hair. her mom would have done better to not respond at all!
    gabby is a beautful, confident, dedicated young woman who should be enjoying the rewards of her hard work. this shouldn’t even be an issue.

• Lynette Reply

August 8, 2012 at 11:04 am

This article seems slanted. I’m sure she was asked continually about the issue. Let’s be realistic…Moms probably didn’t want to talk about the issue. We know the media threw it in her face and slanted it to look bad. I am proud of this Black mom and her Olympian. Can we stop talking about this?

• Jah Larry Dread Reply

August 8, 2012 at 8:01 pm

I agree. She should not have responded. I noticed that her team mates wore their hair like Gabby in show of support. Big up to them! However, she (Gabby) is a very young, and was probably distraught, hurt and embarrassed in front of her team mates over the comments. The results: loss of focus and the poor performances. Who’s the blame? BLACK PEOPLE! Nice job black people what took years of hard work we break down in a few hours. Maybe there should be an Olympic medal for what race can berate their own the fastest! Black people would be the undisputed champs!

6. Pingback: Gabby Douglas Buckles in Her Last Event at the Olympics | Naturally Moi

7. Cheri Reply

August 7, 2012 at 11:42 pm

Wow, She wants to talk down about the critics and how damaging their comments were, yet she’s doing the same thing by responding to them and especially about Gabby’s self esteem. She’s not helping her daughters self esteem. Gabby is 16! A very beautiful girl, who has worked hard to get where she is today. We should be proud of her, not criticizing a child. Half of the critics couldn’t do anything remotely close to what Gabby does. Leave her alone!

8. Tracey Reply

August 8, 2012 at 12:17 am

this is not about her hair dammit, its about her skills out there on those bars!!! At the end of the day, she’ll have more than enough money to change her hair and that’s if she chooses to do so. Let Miss Gabby keep doing what she’s doing. As long as she’s happy, we should all be happy. Be supportive not judgmental. GO GABBY!!!!

9. Flo Taylor Reply

August 8, 2012 at 12:21 am

I wonder if Gabby’s last performance was influenced by all this mess about hair?!? Shame on anyone that made this an issue from the beginning. I am so glad that she won the medals she did before all this talk about something absolutely irrelevant. I am outraged, and I know that all this could have been the distraction that affected her concentration. Shame, shame, shame! Some people are so ignorant they are beyond redemption…

10. Ms_T Reply

August 8, 2012 at 7:13 am

PFFT even if she did have natural hair then it would be a big controversy about why her hair doesn’t look more polished, or or some BS like that. I mean yeah I looked at Gabby myself and said “Gurl you don’ sweat at your perm but go on with your bad self; cut that hair with some scissors if you have to and get yo’ gold medals”

However those thoughts should never have become a national conversation especially by the black community. I mean c’mon she doesn’t have time to worry about her hair like Al Sharpton. While we are complaining about the girl’s hair we are taking away focus from her achievements. I mean hell even if she had the freshest relaxer when she arrived with the level of training she is doing in between expositions she would have probably sweated it out anyway think about it. Relaxers and excessive moisture don’t mix. When we saw her pre-competition her hair looked presentable and nice isn’t that good enough?

So let’s put it in focus. You have a 16 year old kid who is probably putting in over 10 hours a day or more in extreme physical conditioning in a foreign country, surrounded by people who are hoping she slips up, where the eyes of the world are watching her and all the hopes a dreams of young African American girls who want to be gymnasts are on her shoulders. And ya’ll are tripping over some gel and naps. Ni**gas PLEASSSSE. (Yeah I said it because that is how some of us are sounding)

This is why we can NEVER get ahead as a people because we waste too much time pulling each other down if one of us rising above.

11. Santoria Young Reply

August 8, 2012 at 7:56 am

Her mother should have never responded to anything nd to the author who are u to say what her hair should be nd what shouldnt be done to it her hair was pulled back just like the other gilrs on her team….Gabby is outstanding athlete nd everyone is taking away from that being to concerned about an 16 yr old girl hair. If she was a normal kid no one would care but the shame is in that “us” black had to find something wrong with the biggest history breaking ppl in america just like our first lady the congress woman nd now Gabby shame we just cnt be happy for our ppl!

12. suez Reply

August 8, 2012 at 7:59 am

#1 it’s not about her hair, it’s her skills and mama should’ve kept her mouth shut
    #2 if it weren’t for the family who took her in so she could practice & hone her skills, she might not have made it to the Olympics. Mama should be grateful, not putting them down. Again, she should’ve kept her mouth shut.
    #3 it’s not about her hair, it’s her skills and mama should’ve kept her mouth shut.

She was amazing and had so much poise for a 16-year old. Thank you Gabby for doing us proud.

13. Tiamette Reply

August 8, 2012 at 9:49 am

I am sorry but I think mom dropped the ball on this one. There was no need to bring in the racial aspect of this. She didn’t need to address it all since Gabby already addressed the matter so eloquently. Mom could take a lesson from her daughter.

14. Denise Reply

August 8, 2012 at 9:52 am

stop finding excuses and deal with the truth. for over 200 years, black people have always known that when you are in the public, not only are you representing yourself, but you are also representing the millions of black people in america.

i dont blame, gabby..i blame the mother for not ensuring her hair would not become an issue. for the mother to blame the white host family was disrespectful and shows her ignorance.

she is the mother of this 16 year old, to use the excuse that she couldn’t find a black salon to do her hair before the olymics is laughable…especially when everyone knows gabby will be on a national tv with the entire world watching the olympics again shows her lack of common sense.

and to prove my point, how come the mother didn’t do something about gabby’s hair when it became news that the hair was an issue? we are in day three of seeing gabby on tv and the hair is still an issue.

either the mother is stupid, stubborn or don’t give a damn about what is being said about gabby. the mother did make a statement, was it to gain some attention for herself or to protect gabby..i’m not sure.

(i notice everytime i see the mother her hair is nicely done).

15. Je Reply

August 8, 2012 at 9:52 am

Well, the bottom line is..no her hair doesn’t matter and yes, now she will be able to AFFORD any style to which she pleases! I really don’t know why this has been highlighted so. It’s really sad! The girl is now worth millions. She can “afford” to support EVERYONE is talking her!

16. Rex Reply

August 8, 2012 at 9:57 am

Gabby’s mom sounds like a racist in my view and just ruined her daughter’s chances of maximizing endorsement dollars. If she keeps talking, her daughter won’t get any endorsements.

Why would a white host family be taking care of her 16-year old daughter’s hair? Yeah, that’s it, blame the white man for your daughter’s nappy head.

17. Haywood Fennell, Sr. Reply

August 8, 2012 at 10:00 am

I’m having trouble finding blogs or website that avoid telling the readers that are predominately Black what white folks have to say. You keep writing negatives and I think you should reconsider your writing options as it relates to empowering our People. The white media seems to be your cue for writing and sending our this unneeded information. The fact is Gabby Douglas is a winner no matter what she has on her head and that is what we need to be talking about. Her Mother should be given credit for being a good moms not ostracized as the media is attempting to do. If you cannot write/print anything good about our People to help us grow, then you need to sit down and plan a way of healing a wounded People that have been marginalized despite our Greatness as builders of this Nation.

18. Prinzez Reply

August 8, 2012 at 10:01 am

Sticks and stones hurt, and whoever said “names will never hurt”, lied. Gabby is 16 and has a lot to learn about the evils of this world. because, it is a lot. Eph 6:12
    We wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

19. Udosed Reply

August 8, 2012 at 10:03 am

dumb move mom, u just brought more attention to her hair than her natural beauty, intelligence and athletic ability. why give the naysayers what they want. move on and they will shutup….shzzzzeeehhhhhh.

20. Prinzez Reply

August 8, 2012 at 10:06 am

Udosed, You could not have said it better.

21. Edna Griggs Reply

August 8, 2012 at 10:11 am

Gabby,

We need to let it go, when you put your trust in God as you did nothing could stop you. Same here, Keep the faith. Black women are beautifulare beautiful and we should all be natural and stop putting the chemicals in our hair. Be the person you are and not the person the world want you to be. Let’s take that money we are making everyone else rich and help another black girl thta have a dream.

You’re the best Gabby!

22. Ras Reply

August 8, 2012 at 10:12 am

I find it amazing that in 2012, after all that African-Americans have been through, that there would be any such comments regarding the personal appearance of a 16 year old world class athlete. I think that Gabby is beautiful! I have watched the olympics, and with all of the horse hair that I saw flying around the track on the heads of many other older, more image conscious female athletes, I’m wondering “what’s the problem”. Shouldn’t Gabby be commended? I’d like to add that, as far as I’m concerned, a woman’s hair is a woman’s business. All of the female athletes were beautiful. And, all of them performed beautifully, But, it was obvious that many of them spent hours and dollars getting their hair “just right”. To criticize Gabby’s hair after she had just competed is unconscionable. I wonder if anything would have been said if she had come out there looking like Beyonce. Yes, we are proud African-Americans. But we still retain the cultural sensibilities (ignorance)of slaves

• Siddiqullah Reply

December 11, 2012 at 11:06 am

The average speed of fiacal hair growth = . 001364 kilometers per hour.;- )just joking and I hope you laughed.There’s no way to answer the question because there’s way too many variables. Most guys have no face hair at 14 so your actually an exception. Good for you Man! Late 15 or early 16 is more common.Me! :- )

23. jackie Reply

August 8, 2012 at 10:14 am

Well, I feel none of this shit should have been blogged about in the first place.

24. fresh4614 Reply

August 8, 2012 at 10:27 am

I have to agree, mom hasn’t helped in thus situation, it only adds more fuel to the fire.

Gabby us a beautiful young girl and I wished so much focus wasn’t on her hair.

Nothing needed to be justified who she lived with or what salons were there.

I know there was so much pressure on Gabby with and from the media. I wish her the best of luck and hope to see more of her in the future.

DOUGLAS = USA GOLD

25. Kaisinger Reply

August 8, 2012 at 10:35 am

This may sound a little insensitive, but her mother did just as much of a disservice as the ignorant ghetto girls who tweeted about her hair. The explanation said that she is apologizing for Gabby’s hair not being to the liking of Ghetto hood rat girls who have permed hair, three kids, on welfare, no education at the age of 18-25. If she wanted to respond, it should have gone something like this. To all of you who felt the need to focus on something about my daughter that had absolutely nothing to do with why you all know about her, I feel sorry for you. I can only hope that in the years to come, you wake up and realize what is really important for your future, your health and over all well-being. To those who responded positively to my daughter’s success, we appreciate your love and support. May God bless you and keep you. That would have gotten my applause.

26. Janet George Reply

August 8, 2012 at 10:44 am

People are just down right wicked and evil-minded. Her hair has nothing to do with what’s inside her brain. Half of these people that are criticizing this God-gifted child wish their children would educate themselves instead of wanting to buy $500 pair of sneakers and have nothing upstairs to show for it. God bless you Gabby and keep up the good work.

27. AFBD Reply

August 8, 2012 at 10:49 am

Its not about the hair…its about a strong, intelligent, Black young lady beating out the white girls!!!! America
    is and always will be a racist country…end of story.

Mama would have been better to have kept quiet and realized that she doesn’t owe anybody any explanations about anything.

28. Frank TALKER Reply

August 8, 2012 at 10:52 am

She is right – Whites do not know what to do with Black hair.

29. Perplexed Reply

August 8, 2012 at 10:54 am

I’m ashamed of this entire fiasco. The websites/blogs were wrong to highlight it. African-American’s were wrong to acknowledge and give it undue attention. While the other nationalities/countries were celebrating their winners we denigrate ours. I’m sure it had negative impact on Gabby’s last two performances. I’m also sure that white people are once again laughing at our expense. Our children are witnessing our crablike self-hate.

• BC Reply

August 8, 2012 at 5:16 pm

Apparently Blacks don’t know what to do with Black hair. It is certain they don’t know how to appreciate it, or their Black existence on this planet. Ignorant people are always in danger of going extinct.

Beautiful Black hair grows out of the bodies of beautiful Black people. Let it grow out and let it be.

When Beautiful Black people accept dehumanization and swallow hook, line and sinker, the beauty standard of their dehumanizers they cease to be Beautiful Black people in their own eyes. Hello ignorant Black folks White is not supreme.

30. Toni Reply

August 8, 2012 at 10:57 am

Gabby’s Mom should not acknowledge the ignorance of the folk that are criticizing her daughter for anything. Gabby is a beautiful your lady that has accomplished so much and she was in competition and won medals and so some ignorant people started looking at her hair and I am sure they checked out other parts of her body as well. Some People feel so bad about themselves that they cannot put negative thoughts behind them. Gabby does not know these people and did nothing to deserve what they said about her. She needs to ignore, ignore and ignore the ignorant thoughts that come from people. My beautician told me that my hair was nappier than hers…I never understood why she had to acknowledge my hair texture compared to hers. My thoughts of her wer that she is ignorant and does not know any better.

31. Ruth Lynch Reply

August 8, 2012 at 10:58 am

This is to Gabby’s Mother: Dear Ms. Hawkins, as a mother of two wonderful and successful daughters, I understand why you felt the need to defend your daughter. I don’t know how I would have responded if someone so ignorantly attacked my 16-year old daughter. Those of us who are emotionally intelligent, feel as if Gabby is our child and we are so very proud of everything she has accomplished. Just know that you have so much support and so does Gabby. Tell Gabby to keep doing what she loves and everything else does not matter. She has a Gold Medal and has the potential to do and be whatever she wants in this life. Much love, peace and blessings from the Professional Organization of Women, Broward County.

Ruth Roman Lynch, Advisor, Professional Organization of Women, Broward County, Florida

32. Donnie Reply

August 8, 2012 at 11:10 am

I just trying to figure who is the biggest ASSHOLE here, those individuals that put Gabby’s hair above her accomplishments or the author of this piece who intimates that Gabby would have been better served with natural hair. How a person wears their hair is a personal preference not a mandate on ones blackness.

We don’t have to worry about white folks kicking us in the ass because we do that to each far better than anyone else can.

33. MELISSA Reply

August 8, 2012 at 11:15 am

GABBY IS A PRETTY YOUNG LADY. SHE SHOULD CONSIDER WEARING HER PRIDE WHICH IS A SHORT MAINTAINED AFRO. SHE WOULD BE ADORABLE WITH LITTLE SILK BUTTERFLIES, FLORALS TO ACCENT IT. SHE IS NOT ALONE. MANY OF YOU READING THIS POST SUBCUMB TO THE PRESSURE AND EXPENSE OF MAINTAINING A LOOK WHICH CAN ONLY BE MASTERED PERFECTLY BY FOLKS WITH NATURALLY STRAIGHT OR WAVY HAIR….NOT KINKY. WE GO AGAINST NATURE TRYING TO APPEAL TO SOCIETY AND FAIL MISERABLY AT IT WITH UNWASHED, SMELLY, UNHEALTHY, CHEMICAL LADEN DAMAGED HAIR & OFTEN WITH HAIR BELONGING TO ANOTHER PERSON. IT IS A SAD STATE. WAKE UP! WE CAN NEVER GET RESPECT LIKE THIS IF WE REJECT “US”. I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH CHANGING IT UP SOMETIMES BUT SOME FOLKS WOULD RATHER DIE THAN TO BE WITHOUT THEIR WEAVE OR STRAIGHTEN HAIR. THIS IS TOO BAD AND A SAD COMMENTARY. BACK IN THE DAY WHEN I WAS YOUNG I DATED A WHITE EUROPEAN THAT CUT ME DOWN WHEN I APPROACHED HIM WITH MY NEWLY DONE TEXTURIZED CURL. “WHAT THE HELL DID YOU DO TO YOUR HAIR?!” HE SAID GAZING AT ME WITH COMTEMPT ON HIS FACE…..ME THINKING IT WOULD PLEASE HIM TO HAVE ME LOOK MORE EUPROPEAN AS ALL MY FRIENDS WERE TELLING ME HOW PRETTY I LOOKED. IT WAS A WAKE UP CALL. WE AS A RACE HAVE SOOOO LONG TO GO PRIDE WISE.

34. jfw Reply

August 8, 2012 at 11:21 am

To: Gabby’s mom:
    As I told Gabby ignore the ignorant responds coming towards your daughter. I am proud of her progress. Gabby will be ok.
    Mom I hate to say it, but you did just as much injustice as the other folks that were criticizing your beautiful daughter.
    They did the samething to Serena and Venus when they stared…..just some food for thought mom!

35. Lana Johnson Reply

August 8, 2012 at 11:22 am

I was very disturbed by all the nonsense I read and heard about Gabby’s hair. I have always been baffled by the importance given to hair by most Black women. As a Black woman who was born in another country, I was always taught that a person’s substance is more important than such things as hair and vanity. I get such a beautiful feeling inside when I look at Gabby, her accomplishments, her character and her beauty. I do think that all the negative vibes affected her self confidence. It really doesn’t matter because she is who she is, and that they will never be able to take that away from her. The naysayers are all “crabs in a barrel.” If a crab reaches the top of the barrel, the other crabs will grab it and pull it back down into the barrel. They are crabs in a barrel, but Gabby will continue to soar like an eagle. She is phenomenal!!!

36. VeeFran Reply

August 8, 2012 at 11:23 am

No response was necessary

37. llfarrow Reply

August 8, 2012 at 11:43 am

I think we kinda knew, when they said during her profile that she lived with a family in Iowa, and we saw the pictures of them, that she probably had limited resources when it comes to her hair. However, I think we should be celebrating that – at 16 – when most girls are so obsessed with their looks – Gabby has a little more on her mind.

38. DeNise Davis Reply

August 8, 2012 at 11:46 am

When in the lime-light, be prepared for all kinds of deserved and undeserved comments from the public. You are officially in the game now Gabby. Welcome to the real world!

39. Samuel Reply

August 8, 2012 at 12:07 pm

I think as a race of people we should be focusing our energy on something else. Like crime in our neighborhoods, black kids getting murder everyday. Mental health issues and a prison system full with are males.

40. K,B. Reply

August 8, 2012 at 12:07 pm

I take a little exception to what Gabby’s mother said about no black hair salons in Iowa. I live where Gabby trains at which is a suburb of Des Moines, IA. There are plenty of black hair salons in Des Moines. All she had to do was look. I don’t know if Gabby’s mother of host parents even attempted to take her to one but please don’t make comments about there not being any in Iowa when that is far from the truth.

• Denise Reply

August 8, 2012 at 4:19 pm

like you, i found the excuse of no salons and the lack of knowledge on black hair by the white host family by the mom to be disengenious.

i was always told an excuse is the second cousin to a lie!

41. Jennifer B Reply

August 8, 2012 at 12:17 pm

I agree that we should not be talking about Gabby’s hair + style, she is an phonomeMetal nal gymness and what does hair go to doi w/ a Gold winner; her Mom should have let it go and make sure her daughter does not respond to ignorant people; as for her Mom there are plenty of Black hairdressers in West Des Moines/Des Moines if anyone looked I am from there and never is a problem of getting her hair done if that is a problem. Natural is beautiful and Gabby is precious child who has done what no one else (AA) hasCongratulaions and now make your family rich my child. :-)

42. Prinzez Reply

August 8, 2012 at 12:17 pm

Europeans are not the only ones with silky hair!!!!! Why are black people so up in arms about freakin hair???!! When there are MUCH MORE ISSUES THAT NEED AND SHOULD BE DEALT WITH, LIKE BLACK ON BLACK CRIME!!! TAKE CARE OF THE BABIES, TAKE CARE AND RESPECT YOUR ELDERS, GET A JOB AND KEEP IT. BE A PART OF THE SOLUTION. Does it matter if it’s your hair, or human hair or as some would say “horse hair.” If it looks good, WHO CARES. When people say anything negative about someone, it is coming from the PAIN WITHIN THEM. GET A LIFE, DO, YOUR HAIR. GABBY, GO ON AND DUST YOUR SHOULDERS OFF.

• Regina Reply

August 8, 2012 at 12:26 pm

Well said Sister! That is why our community is in shambles now because we focus on the wrong thing! That’s why some of these uneducated athletes are marrying women of other races because they have ignorant, low self esteem mothers like the ones who tweeted about Gabby!

43. Jocie Reply

August 8, 2012 at 12:22 pm

To Gabby’s Mom and to Gabby…..I am so sorry that a few assinine comments have caused such a fury. You dont owe any one any explanation in regards to your daughter’s hair. If ppl are so concerned, I think that they should start a fund to fly in professionals to keep her hair done in the middle of IA otherwise stay shut. I do understand the pressure to cater to what America thinks is beautiful for women of color. Gabby is a beautiful young lady….one that I would be proud to call my own….in fact believe it or not she is our own…she is currently being shared all across this planet. I am so proud of her and all the hard work she has put in. Mom…I also want you to remain strong and not even dignify all this media nonsense with any remarks…let ppl talk and you and your family live and continue to shine. Gabby thank you for showing millions of little girls all over that they are to never stop dreaming. Also Gabby when I read that you read your Word…that did it for me. Baby keep reading your Word and keep God first no matter how famous you become. Oh and Mom…all your sacrafice and hard work has paid off…to God be all the glory…please give our love and regards to the host family that opened their door and hearts to Gabby….for we love them as well…Oh and before I forget….FYI…DOUGLAS transcribed is nothing more than USA GOLD….ummmhmmm

#TEAM DOUGLAS

44. Helen Reply

August 8, 2012 at 12:23 pm

I applaud the many intelligent women who have responded before me. (1) Gabby is beautiful and talented, and she makes me proud to be African American. (2) Gabby’s hair is great just as it is. (3) Gabby’s mom’s response was unnecessary, but understandable. (4) Gabby does not need to “purchase” long, silky, flowing hair or “pull out her edges” with tight braids, or even cut it to wear a short natural. (5) Gabby’s response to this mess was really all that was necessary.

I pray Gabby knows that the majority of us want her to stay just as she is!

45. Deborah Parker Reply

August 8, 2012 at 12:26 pm

Most of us already knew what was up with the young lady’s hair. Yeah her hair wasn’t so neat, but she is a kid, and she was living in a white world, what do you expect. They dont know what to do with her hair. I am shocked this was even mentioned, and I quess this is one of the fall outs of social media.

Nobody mentioned how pretty and natural her eye make up was, and few mentioned her pretty smile, and her nice complexion

I wonder if somebody deliberately put this out there, along with a couple of other negative comments that I wont repeat to upset this young lady.

I wonder if these comments affected her confidence and her final performances Hmmm

46. ARNEADER Reply

August 8, 2012 at 12:31 pm

Gabby’s mom told the TRUTH as it is! Gabby’s mom is sad that the media is talking about her daughter’s hair but her bankruptcy and the so called “deadbeat dad. The media has been AWFUL!

47. Jay Reply

August 8, 2012 at 12:34 pm

No Gabby’s Mom should not have responded to the ignorance about the hair. She apparently feels some reason to have to “do” her child’s hair as many Black Americans do. If she didn’t care about hair she would have let her go natural and shown her how to use electric clippers to keep it trim AND she would no have felt compelled to defend herself.

48. Neilden Reply

August 8, 2012 at 12:44 pm

I want to thank all the ladies who responded to the insult of one of our brightest female children.. Gabrielle Douglas is one most amazing little sisters and I can hardly believe the amount of strength and power God has given to us in this little girl. We have been blessed beyond measure and now I think it is time for us “grown Ups” to Stand UP and defend our children against the negative images proper-gated by this media NBC ABC CBS FOX and others. I will propose that in protest of the Monkey commercial and the “Black hair is/bad hair” stereo type, we make a vow to stop perming our hair for three years,.. I think its time for us to make a stand and send a firm answer to the media that we are Proud of ourselves and our children and we will not bend over backwards and straighten our hair just to seem a little less black for them to except us. Its time to get off the “creamy crack” ladies. Neilden.

49. kipperdale Reply

August 8, 2012 at 12:45 pm

Gabby is a beautiful young woman who’s smile lights up a room. I have followed her throughout the olympics and the remark about her hair was rediculous. She can wear that beautiful smile and her hair anyway she likes with her head held all the way to the bank. Her mother on the other hand (though I know she was just trying to defend her daughter) should have (as many of you have said) just not have responded to the idiots commenting on her hair. If it were not for her HOST family (white or not)she may not be where she is today. They we’re just as thrilled as Gabby’s mom when she performed. Sometimes it is just better to not comment at all. Someone always has to talk dirt or dig up dirt whenever someone is doing well. Ignorance and or jelousy…who knows but thank god someone was there to help this young lady become who she is today. Leave the girl along and let her enjoy all that she has accomplished!!!!!

50. Chiamaka Reply

August 8, 2012 at 12:47 pm

I see a lot of older folks dropping their history about being black and proud with their afros. That’s nice and all but its not about the hair, this is apart of the reason why this topic is still debated. It does not make you less of a black woman if you relax your hair nor does it make you a down for the cause kind of the sister because your hair is natural. I am a 20 year old black college student with natural hair however people STILL find ways to attack me as a person if its from my hair, to my skin color, to my nose, from cheeks etc. Regardless if Gabby Douglas would have had natural hair, people would have criticized her for that and criticized her for her skin color. We as a people should take PRIDE in the versatility of BLACK HAIR! Other people cannot do what we do with our hair which is remarkable. TAKE PRIDE IN THAT! Lets stop separating relaxed and natural!

51. Myke Reply

August 8, 2012 at 12:56 pm

What is the big deal with this!! Some white women have very curly hair. Sometimes they wear it curly and sometime straighten it. I seldom see afros on black newscaster, actresses,singers etc. You are not classified by your hair. All women like different hair styles no matter what they were born with.
    I saw nothing wrong with Gabby’s hairstyle. She is beautiful no matter what hair style she has. She is a wonderful little girl and proud of being and American. Everyone should be praising her for going thru all it takes to become as great as she is. Not something as trivial as her hairdo. Praise this child. Don’t demean her or try to make this something political.

52. Bella Reply

August 8, 2012 at 1:11 pm

It’s so unfortunate that black women take care of their hair, better than they take care of their children. Companies are making billions off of black people buying weave. It’s nothing wrong with making yourself look beautiful, but when it’s priority #1, and where you live, how you live, how your kids look, how you are raising your kids and the health of you and your kids comes last, something is definitely wrong with your priorities. I know many wanna be Divas with EMPTY pockets, bank accounts and refrigerators, but their hair, nails and outfits are tight. Black people care about weave, fake nails, contact lens, booty injections, cars, rims, designer clothes, glasses and sun glasses, liquor, the latest phones and electronic gadgets and partying. While our world is crumbling around us, we will look good in the process. It’s sad, but true.

53. Anoint Reply

August 8, 2012 at 1:32 pm

I don’t find fault with Gabby’s mom making the
    statement(s) that she did. It is only natural for a parent, especially a mother to protect and defend their children and so she did. As for Gabby’s hair, I think that it is a shame that we are still so narrow and febble minded that in all that this young lady has done and all that she has accomplished that we can find any fault in her for outward appearance. No one knows the struggles, the sacrifices and all that she has had to fight to be where she is and all that can be highlighted is about “hair”. I say to all the Gabby’s of the world and all mothers of Gabby(s)…all that are in the olympics, especially those of the Black race…..that we stand to thank you, we pray for you and we give you the honor that is due unto you for how far you have come and how far you shall continue to go. Keep your head high and your spirit even higher and God shall fight your battles.

54. Mrs. Harris Reply

August 8, 2012 at 1:38 pm

May God continue to strengthen and bless Gabby. All that she has God made it possible. Count your blessings instead of trying to pick faults and point fingers. Take a look at your self from the inside because that is what is pouring out forpeople to see. Who cares about Gabby hair. She is the first black to win a gold medal, so give her her shout out. GREAT work Gabby. I am PROUD of YOU.

55. TT_CA Reply

August 8, 2012 at 2:22 pm

this is a child and all who tlked about her ruined her confidence! I wish they would have kept Gabby from seeing any of the media BS! I wish they would have kept her from having a phone to respond to any of this BS! until it was over. They hurt her on purpose! As her mother I would have blocked her from speaking with anyone!!
    With regards to the Mother you too should have kept qit! silence is golden! media shuts up when you don’t respond. But since.you did you made your self and all haters like you look more ignorant. wtf did her living with white people have to do with care of het hair! As her mothet you should have made the trips weekly or monthly to care for her hair! You should have showef your daughter how to maintain her hair. there was absolutely no reason for you to bring race ingo the conversation! but again i state you too fell to the ignorance! *SMH*

• TT_CA Reply

August 8, 2012 at 11:58 pm

by

56. Miz Rose Reply

August 8, 2012 at 2:23 pm

Miss Gabby you have spoken and we heard you loud and clear, do not responsed to anything you don’t feel comfortable about. Stay postive and keep on keeping on, YOU ARE THE BEST IN THE WORLD and no one can take that away from you ever. Hope to see you back in 2016 even stronger. USA has made us proud. God Bless

57. charles Reply

August 8, 2012 at 2:49 pm

Enough said about Natalie Hawkins. I do not want to know what U Bolt’s mother said about anything. Stick to the performers.

58. Patrice Reply

August 8, 2012 at 3:01 pm

Gabby, we love you and we are PROUD of you and all you have accomplished. BLACK GIRLS ROCK!!!

Enough already; NOW can we stop talking about hair issues and focus on seeing that pretty face on a box of Wheaties.

59. K,B. Reply

August 8, 2012 at 3:01 pm

I also would like to know why did Gabby’s mom choose a white host family for her to stay with? There are plenty of African-American families in West Des Moines and the surrounding areas who would have gladly took her in and made sure she got to practice everyday.

60. Suga Reply

August 8, 2012 at 3:10 pm

This is stupid, all of the girls has their hair in a ponytail. These girls are gymnist/olympic sport players, they dont have time to be wearing any other hair style…get over it already…

THE MEDIA HAS RAN AWAY WITH THIS SUBJECT. They are full of shyt, they are doing this to bring the girl down…

This was to take the focus off of the girl blocking Gabby in the photo shot….that was all over the internet.people was talking mess about that, calling the girl a media hoe, a blocker, among other things.

61. tonya Dakari Reply

August 8, 2012 at 3:11 pm

My people, my people, and white people! Leave our young beauty of African descent alone”. There are people killing one another, taxes are getting higher and higher, the rich are not paying their share. We have many wanting to destroy this country, children are being abused need I say more? Hair is nothing. Ask those men and women who have lost their hair to radiation,who are glad to be alive! This young girl has been representing the United States, and all you can do is talk about her hair”. “My Goodness” you should be proud of her and show support, rather than criticize the young girl about her hair. ‘Stop the stupidity and the madness.

• maxine willliams Reply

August 8, 2012 at 4:10 pm

I agree.
      So what are the haters going to say about her now.
      Let her keep her pride. and even continue to strive for the medal again.

What difference does it matter, whether she wears a natural, braids, straigth, curls, ponytail, bun, she is a beautiful young lady.
      People talk about AA, styles,but they want to copy us.
      To all the young ladies and men, be yourselves, be proud and do not let others take your self-esteem.

I am still wondering about that beam.
      Also, if the haters will look at the world, beautiful people come in all sizes, colors, hair styles, clothes and the beauty is in the uniquiness of their own ethnic culture.
      God made all and those who hated, should look at themselves.
      If you go to any city in America, you will see different styles of the people.
      Do not be so quick to put the youth down, who are trying to be just that an American. How many of you, take time to even look at the beauty of our youth.
      They are the future and giving them their pride, will help to make them responsible citizens.
      You should listen to the song THE Greatest. It applies to all youth, children, teen agers and adults.
      Gabby and Natalie, be Proud. You do not have to justify her hair style. I am sure she was stressed,but the fact that she continued in that event. YOu can be proud of your daughter.
      Continue to lift her spirits.
      I am a mother, grand mother, great grandmother and Aunt,so I know how you felt. I would have defended any of them,but who is to say that she was not beautiful, just being herself.
      Continue to be Proud. You and her father! and Gabby stay strong. GOd Bless You.

62. Leave Gabby Alone Reply

August 8, 2012 at 3:36 pm

Gabby is a child. Why would anyone subject her to negative comments about her hair. I did not see anything wrong with her hair. Please allow her to thrive. What do you gain by saying hurtful comments about her hair?

63. Shahid Raki Reply

August 8, 2012 at 4:08 pm

We black people need to get over our little pettyness. Young Gabby has done a spectacular job in her Olympic competition and has held up pretty well with all of the fanfare from becoming an instant star in the world of gymnastics. That’s quite an accomplishment for anyone of any race to do. She’s living away from her family, has traveled to another country, possibly for the first time, and has done so much in just a few days. I think that speaks pretty well of her and her ability to perform. All of you nay sayers need to sit down and be quiet.

64. cheche Reply

August 8, 2012 at 6:11 pm

Goodness this hair thing is making me ill!!! I f some black folks were’nt so hung up on good hair and light skin….we would not be addressing this very petty issue. I am in my 50′s and I thought by 2012 we would be more enlighten but I see that some black folks are still ignorant and still are passing their ignorants beliefs systems down to the next generation. Shame on you!

65. jerald Reply

August 8, 2012 at 7:58 pm

The mom did the right thing. People are so cruel. The child is doing the best she can, but the white host family should have did more, to help out!
    I WISH I COULD SEE ALL THE CRITICS.SHAME ON THEM! It cause nothing to be stupid!!!!!

66. bsbfankaren Reply

August 8, 2012 at 9:58 pm

I really, really wish that Ms. Hawkins had not chosen to respond to the critics in this manner. Aside from the fact that she managed to inadvertently diss the family that cared for her daughter for two years, but she also inadvertently dissed the pretty good sized Black community in Des Moines that is perfectly capable of caring for Gabby’s hair, and also dissing the other hair stylists that also would have been capable of doing whatever Gabby wanted to be done to her hair. As a point in fact, I actually spent years going to stylists that were not Black, but could style my hair pretty darn well despite that fact.

The bottom line, and what Ms. Hawkins should have said was that Gabby wore the hair style required for the team, and it’s the same hairstyle Gabby has been wearing for competitions since she became a competitive gymnast, and securing the ponytail in the manner she did, was the same thing fully half of the team chose to do. In choosing to respond in this manner, Ms. Hawkins has only served to continue a controversy that began with a few jealous souls who are never happy with anything, including themselves, providing them with even more ammunition.

I hope that next time or going forward, when Ms. Hawkins decides to speak on the issue, she will instead point the interviewer to the nearest Kellogg’s cereal box and simply say “I think she looks beautiful”!

67. Queen Reply

August 8, 2012 at 10:14 pm

Ignorant, just ignorant!! You wonder why she didn’t do well on her last day? She was not focused. All she could think about was ignorant people was saying about her hair. She’s 16 people! I am so ashamed of “grown folks” acting this way with a young lady that have accomplished so much! What business is it of yours how she wear her hair? She sould be bald, so what!!! That’s what’s wrong with society, people are so busy minding someone elses’ business. MIND YOUR OWN!!! The hurt that you have caused this child may not be reversible, who knows. I don’t blame her mom for defending her. I am a 55 year old with 4 adult children and I would have done the same thing. Again, People should MIND THEIR OWN BUSINESS!!! Gabby and Natalie, I would like to apologize on behalf of those sick minded people. “Please forgive them for they know not what they do”! Sounds familiar? Be encouraged and Gabby, don’t loose your confidence in yourself. You are wonderful, you have a great life ahead of you and you have enough money to buy them a hair salon. Don’t allow others to define who you are. Don’t even think about this mess another minute. It’s over and you’re still a golden winner!! I’m so proud of you!!!!!!!!!…and your family for the great sacrifice!! Continue to be blessed!!

68. Merolyn Reply

August 8, 2012 at 10:17 pm

Why is “Your World” still producing articles on this topic.. What are you promoting? This is an ignorant topic that merits no more discussion. Drop it..

69. freeze Reply

August 8, 2012 at 10:33 pm

Paula Settles You and a few more couldn’t have said it any better about Gabby hair. I am 69 and we were proud of our hair back then and some of us are proud today. Mom don’t allow the critic get you up set about your daughter hair she did what she had to do and her hair didn’t make her one way of the other. Their will always be someone to say negative things about a person when they don’t have a life of their own.

70. mmdccbslm Reply

August 8, 2012 at 10:41 pm

mom should not have responded at all. then she exhibits a total lack of appreciation and judgement. she should have focuse on her daughter’s performance instead of letting herself get dragged into this nonsense. not a classy woman in the slightest.

71. kt Reply

August 8, 2012 at 11:02 pm

it is sad that we have to have comments about the girls hair. i was proud that the young black girl won for the team and for herself making history. we as a people seem to have become more of style and less of substance. having grown up in a black city stl and having served in three branches i have learned a lot about black history. more from overseas than ever in america. unfortunately the black man view of ourselves has been corrupted by whites from the motherland to the america’s. black america needs to embrace itself and try to have some form of unity. what is black is it what you wear, talk, eat. we should be teaching ourselves our true history and not what white america has taught. is it not true that overseas more images of dark jesus yet in america jesus is white. is it not true that if jesus was darker on the crosses of most churches we would not go. are the invisible chains of slavery still wrapped around us.hopefully gabby will continue to be great and hopefully do this again 4 years from now and not be tainted by our lack of substance. this has most likely affected her performance, which is unfortunate for us as a people who have tainted her chances. words do hurt.

72. makheru bradley Reply

August 8, 2012 at 11:10 pm

Some of these parents really need to keep their mouths closed. Without the training Douglas received from “white folks” in Iowa these self-hating assholes would not know who she is.

73. Ruth Walker Reply

August 9, 2012 at 12:50 am

Dear Ms. Hawkins, as a mother of two beautiful daughters I do understand that it comes natural for a mother to try and soothe her daughter pain by your commenting on the situation although, it was not necessary. Your daughter Gabby is a true champion, a quiet, graceful and strong individual which posses many other beautiful characteristics which I know you are responsible for.

My husband and I were so proud as we watched your daughter’s performance. My heart ached with joy as I watched her, I felt like this is all of our daughters in this young lady, I am truly proud of her and you as well as her sister who seems to have great influence in her sister’s life.

The situation itself caused Gabby pain which I noticed in her last two performance. Her focus was gone as she seemed to wonder what would be said about her next. Gabby is like a shining little star that touched us all tremendously. Please help her to put the negative thoughts behind her and let her know it’s really not about the hair, I grew up in the State of Alabama in the 60′s and really it wasn’t about the hair then, just the color of my skin. “GOD BLESS YOU AND YOUR FAMILY.” Meanwhile, in the future please ask Gabby to not comment to the media about this now past situation. Also, tell her to hold her head high in her photo shoots and not to stand in the background. Tomorrow is not promised to anyone, enojoy life and do not allow anyone to steal this “JOYOUS VICTORY.”

74. Allen Reply

August 9, 2012 at 12:48 pm

Wow, what a dumb comment.. Her mom should’ve just kept quiet. Saying that the reason her hair was “messed up” is because she lived with a white host family, is ignorant. Plus, I live in Des Moines and there are NUMEROUS salons that could’ve taken care of her hair..

75. Bernice Reply

August 9, 2012 at 12:53 pm

with all that has been said about those ignorant young ladies. I hope that they read how people feel about their comments. One of you or all of you should write in to express your REGRET for the self hatred remarks that you put out there for the world to see. Be big about what you all did. YOU SHOULD FEEL SMALLER THAN AN ANT. Write in and say WE ARE SORRY, WE JUST DID NOT KNOW ANY BETTER and now we do. The world is going to rmember you.

76. KG Reply

August 9, 2012 at 1:32 pm

It’s no surprise that the larger media outlets chose to develop such a trite issue that primarily exists among AA women. Some AA women absolutely obsess over hair, meaning it has to be bone straight. I’ve seen this obsession in some women who will use 2 relaxer applications (2nd overlapping the 1st) if the 1st application did not get it ‘straight enough’. Somehow I feel Gabby is no different- and I feel it’s simply due to her being around a mostly white peer group where the girls all style their hair the same. Whites use gel to calm flyaways, but gel has a different look and effect on AA hair when just slapped on the hair. The hair will start to clump together and really doesn’t look good. What Gabby needed was a non-alcohol based gel (alcohol dries the hair and AA hair needs moisture), then use a natural bristle hair brush to smooth the hair. Why don’t we examine the problem AA women have instead of dismissing and turning it into something negative? Her mom is right- she’s around whites who have no clue of AA hair and while I feel this shouldn’t have affected Gabby’s performance, it’s downright EVIL to have her address this in a news conference.

77. poppa daddy Reply

August 9, 2012 at 1:39 pm

Next thing you know is that the self hating Negroes will want Gabby to lighten her skin aka Michael Jackson

78. Leatha Patton Reply

August 9, 2012 at 4:42 pm

I was taught from a child, it’s not WHAT is on the head, but what IS IN IT!! Need I say more? Gabby Douglas, keep proving this to all who would berate you — ALL THE WAY TO THE BANK as you deposit your millions.

79. kellie Reply

August 9, 2012 at 6:23 pm

Too Gabby, I am very proud of you. I am a black women who have a giant smile on her face when i see you at the Olympics doing so amazing at gymnastics. you are an inspiration not just to me but to all my nieces who think you are awesome. they too rock all natural hair. and believe me you are very beautiful and we love you and think the world of our sister. you go girl because you rock. you are the history of my people (real people, not haters who talk about themselves or make themselves look like fools, shame on them because they hate who they are. you my sister we love with all our hearts. you are awesome at the Olympics. our hearts pound with joy when we see you. that’s ok what those fools are saying about you because it really means nothing because we see where their minds are stuck in (not going anywhere, or anywhere, for that matter). You are the greatest and may god bless you and keep it up. there are real people who love you and what you are doing. Gabby you are history. Thank you for all the confidences and inspiration. Me and my nieces love you and we are glad to say she is like me:) we can do anything. she’s doing it. thank you my sister. and to her mother you are so blessed to have a star in my eyes who have made history for me and my nieces. god bless you. Gabby thanks you rock girl.

80. ALICIA RAE Reply

August 10, 2012 at 10:20 am

To Gabby:

I am so very proud of you for making history by winning a gold medal. We as black people support you and at this moment the US does too. The percentage of ignorant responses cannot compare to the level of pride that we have because of your accomplishments.
    I am more concerned about what this drama does to you psychologically than I am with the condition of your hair. Please keep in mind that this all could have been initiated by a non-black group because of your superb performance and because they know that this is a s sensitive issue with the black population, although it shouln’t be.
    I only wish you had Googled yourself after the competition was over to avoid possibly losing concentration. You are unparalleled. You’re a beautiful young lady and we ARE proud of you.

81. ALICIA RAE Reply

August 10, 2012 at 10:25 am

@bella

your comments are right on point!

82. Ms. Lady Day Reply

August 10, 2012 at 12:18 pm

Hello Beautiful..beloved.
    WE are all beautiful in Gods eyes. I love all the comments that were written about Our new rising STAR Gabby!!! its clearly that the comments made against her was not from the Black Race!!! point blank. Go back to the beginning…folks it started in the MEDIA….so why all the HYPE….we dont care we are a proud black people and RAce we have all said it over and over again. This young Lady did her thang!!!!.
    The news media is very petty… and will and always pit us against one another for real…..the hatred that is spewed and continues to be put out over the internet is sickening….to say the least. “WE LOVE GABBY DOUGLAS”…. But we Hate!!!! idiots…who spew out ugliness. at Least I do.
    So now can we move on to something better. Ms. Paula, Mr T. others, all but just remember we Are Never gonna be good enuff in their eyes!!! point blank…its a wrap.
    Great comments….It takes a VIllage, Yall..It takes a Village……….Amen Peace

83. Ms. Lady Day Reply

August 10, 2012 at 12:19 pm

This is Why BLACK GIRLS ROCK!!!!!!!!!!

84. donnie Reply

August 10, 2012 at 1:23 pm

I am a parent and when I see harm coming to my son, I move instictively in that direction. The hair issue hits hard when it comes to the black females in our lives. It takes nerve to go out in front of the world and perform your best. At 16 the ego can be very fragile. To land on the balance beam or to catch your grip on the uneven bars, takes focus and ability. She is representing the USA as well as the black community on world stage. Would you criticize your own daughter openly under the same situation. I would have said something as well. Her mother was doing what a mother does, letting her minor child know that she was not alone. The same thing was attempted with Venus and Serena Williams, Pops stepped out front and kept the haters at a safe distance. “Don’t hate, congradulate.”

85. etreman Reply

August 10, 2012 at 5:52 pm

People!!!!!!!! Whether you’re commending or condemning Gabby’s hair you’re still talking about it!!!! The point is to give her props for her gymnastics/historical achievements. We get so twisted inside semantics all too often.

86. Nedrea Reply

August 10, 2012 at 7:17 pm

I see a lot of stupid remarks here that have caused me as a young person to shake my head. People may wear their hair the way they wish to. There was nothing wrong with her hair whatsoever. So stop talking about it.

87. Robert Johnson Reply

August 11, 2012 at 2:19 am

Rex is an ignorant idiot. He is why our world is so screwed up. He is just the type of idiot that commented on the young lady’s hair in the first place. This world will never change in regards to dealing with black folks.

88. Ruby Shivers Reply

August 15, 2012 at 4:25 am

Dear family – I am not so sure that those negative comments came from the pen of ‘Black folk’. We do know how the ‘other’ folk have Willie Lynched us over these 300+ years. Even if these unfortunate thoughts did come from the ‘African community’, this should tell us more about the damage slavery has caused us than any personal blame on us. We are the most ‘God fearing people’ in the world yet we demonize the natural beauty that God has bestowed upon us – our black skin and our beautiful natural hair. Most of the comments I read, even the ones trying to defend the beautiful child, sounded apologetic. Until we are freed from the self-hatred that has been instilled within us, we will feel the need to continue to apologize or defend our natural beauty. Next time any of you enter God’s sanctuary – be it church, mosque, synagogue or whatever, look at your own hair and see how this disrespect for God’s gift to you has been compromised.