Mother Arrested for Cheering Too Loudly at Her Daughter’s Graduation

If your kids graduate and you get too excited about it, you might end up with a criminal record.  A South Carolina mother experienced the humiliation of being arrested for cheering too loud at her daughter’s graduation ceremony, which took place in Florence, South Carolina.

The mother, Shannon Cooper, was ecstatic about seeing her daughter Iesha go across the stage.  This led a nearby police officer to conclude that the mom had engaged in disorderly conduct.

I am still living in shock,” Cooper told msnbc.com. “It all seems like a bad dream, a nightmare of what was to be one of the happiest days of our lives. I cheered for my baby and I got the cuffs.”

Shannon’s daughter, Christin Iesha Cooper, was a proud graduate at South Florence High School, but found herself in tears when her mother was taken out of the building.

“I am a proud mom,” said Ms. Cooper. “And as soon as they said ‘Christin’ I stood up, started praising, woohooing and cheering it up for my baby. I was like ‘Go baby! You did it’.”

Police claim that they warned those in attendance that anyone who cheers during the ceremony would be escorted out of the building.  Maybe they should find a way to make allowances for families who care about their kids.

135 Responses to Mother Arrested for Cheering Too Loudly at Her Daughter’s Graduation

1. bahati sobukwe Reply

June 6, 2012 at 12:17 pm

I mean really! An intelligent person would have known better than to whoop it up! Was her daughter the first graduate that evening and she didn’t realize her excessiveness? How were the other parents acting? I’ve gone to graduations and they are almost like carnival. Takes away from the seriousness of the occasion- I think. I don’t go anymore. However, arresting someone was a bit much and it shows poor judgement! Sorry it ruined her day and her daughter’s special occasion.

• ohmalik Reply

June 6, 2012 at 2:51 pm

Removed from the building is not an arrest There was no need for such a severe action Listen to many talk shows and very few agreed that this was okay

• David Reply

June 7, 2012 at 11:00 pm

JERK

• Delores Hargrove Reply

June 6, 2012 at 3:29 pm

My granddaughter graduated from the 8th grade, and what her school did was, they sent a notice home and asked the parents to hold there cheers until all students names were called, in order for everyone to hear their children names, if you hollered out you childs name, that child would have to wait and get their diploma in August, it worked, and everything went very smoothly, after all the students recieved their diploma’s than you cheered. It went off great, so maybe schools can adopt this, because being arrested was a bit much, she should have just been asked to leave!!!

• Joseph L. Williams Reply

June 6, 2012 at 3:42 pm

I agree with ALL of your comments. I have been to events where loud mouth individuals spoil it for all around them. Most of the time it’s show off and OVER BOARD…not sincere enthusiasm.

• Geoffrey Moore Reply

June 11, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Hopefully, this Mom learned her lesson. I was at a function recently where a lady was acting the same way. Lets just say, thank goodness, pre-crime isn’t a reality, cause I wanted to bonk this lady over the head with a newspaper and tell her to tone it down… I shoulda just called the police like them folks did in SC.

• Ruth Reply

June 6, 2012 at 4:58 pm

People always yell when their child grauates. I was just at a college graduation. people yelled when thloved one walked across the stage and so did I when my child walked up. I have never been to a graduation when the people were asked to be quiet.

• Teddy Reply

June 6, 2012 at 6:09 pm

This has nothing to do with intellegence. This has to do with foolish laws and cops who feel like they are Gods! they could have walked over and told her to keep it down instead of arresting this mother on her daughter graduation day.
      A moment this important should be honored and respected, not with hand cuffs. I wonder if the woman was white would this have happen.

June 7, 2012 at 11:48 am

Hello Teddy!I don’t know your race as it matters not; but I agree with you wholeheartedly! You should try to tell that IGNORANT ASS HOLE Carlos Jones thyis! If he is black he is yet another N—er who has a slave mentality and has probably attained a certain level in life and think he is accepted by some members of white society!

• nmbr8 Reply

June 11, 2012 at 12:11 am

i agree this was totally excessive force on the police part. and like thie mother said it has left a stain on what was a wonderful occasion. disgusting police behavior.

• makar72 Reply

June 7, 2012 at 9:30 am

Her celebration may have been excessive but believe you me the punishment was even more excessive! Escort her out maybe, but that did not warrant an arrest. Cliche’ but two wrongs don’t make a right.

• Connie White Reply

June 8, 2012 at 4:16 pm

As a guidance counselor, there are reasons why we need people to hold it down until all graduates get accross the stage. All parents want to hear their child’s name called and with people hollering, it prolongs the ceremony; then people complain about that! Some people act like total idiots. I don’t know what all this woman did but I think there’s probably more to this story than we know. Some people get totally indignant with security and even the police. (YOU ALL KNOW THAT!) I’M JUST SAYING…………

• Mrs. Santiago Reply

July 5, 2012 at 1:54 pm

If you had kids and your child was graduting you would not be happy come on with all the extra cause when all four of my kids graduate i will scream for the roof top i want them to know that they have the support they deserve no matter what this is myself as a parents I have worked hard forto get my kids to that point.

2. Carlos Jones Reply

June 6, 2012 at 12:28 pm

It’s amazing how we pick and choose when the law is right or wrong. She was clearly warned not to do be disrupted and yet she chose to do so. Since when does making a spectacle proves you care about your children. In my opinion, following the law and not getting arrested and embarrassing your child is how you prove you care about them. Graduations are dignified ceremonies so govern yourself accordingly.

• lisa Reply

June 6, 2012 at 1:58 pm

Do you believe all the laws are just? That this is acceptable. Is this what you want your tax dollars to go to? I would sue the heck out of them.

• Joseph L. Williams Reply

June 6, 2012 at 3:42 pm

I AGREE!

• Laura Brown Reply

June 6, 2012 at 8:37 pm

I first want to say that she should have been asked in a respectable manner, however I do agree that making a spectacle of yourself does not show you care more about your child. It does show that you do not respect the child behind your own. I am a teacher, so I regularly attend graduation each year. Through the years there have been many children whose name could not be heard because of the raucous cheers of the family and/or friends of the previous child. This is definitely unacceptable. We should applaud their efforts, but why not save the raucous cheers for their party?

• DaTruth Reply

June 6, 2012 at 10:26 pm

Ur comment is one of the many reasons why we r in the dire circumstance that we r as a race. We excuse & accept any humiliation or injustice that it is handed down to us. Its becoming clear that all around the country, especially in The South, the authorities look for any reason to arrest black ppl & slap criminal records on them. The jails are making billions fr our incarceration. Cheering at ur child’s graduation ceremony is no reason for arrest, anymore than talking loudly or spitting on the sidewalk, for instance.

• makar72 Reply

June 7, 2012 at 9:18 am

Escort her out yes.. but getting arrested is excessive!

• nmbr8 Reply

June 11, 2012 at 12:13 am

this was excessive force on the police officers part. a simple keep it down would have sufficed.

3. George E Ferguson Reply

June 6, 2012 at 12:29 pm

As one who attended graduation ceremonies for 30 years at my old elementary school, I can attest to the fact that some people simply ignore requests to observe a minimum of decorum at such celebrations. I have been present when the Principal had to PLEAD for parents to maintain order so that ALL of the grads could be recognized at the program’s end. Too bad this happened, but maybe it needs to happen more.
    -George E. Ferguson
    Cincinnati, OH

4. Kimberly Reply

June 6, 2012 at 12:55 pm

She should have been escorted out not arrested!

• Andrew Reply

June 6, 2012 at 8:48 pm

My understanding is that she was being escorted out when she became belligerent and resisted. I think that she should have been arrested if she was resisting. Parents were asked to be civil and warned that if they were not then they would be escorted out. It is disruptive and embarrassing, not to mention the fact that others cannot hear their children’s names being called because some loud woman chose to act like she didn’t have any home training.

5. Rhett Bogan Reply

June 6, 2012 at 1:01 pm

So, there are actually people out there who think it’s “ok” to put someone in handcuffs and haul them off to jail for cheering for their child? LOL How brainwashed is that? I wonder how those same people would think if it was “Them” going to jail in cuffs in front of thei child and classmates….

• rodney king Reply

June 6, 2012 at 1:41 pm

i for one do not believe she should have been handcuffed after being warned prior.

a tazer or pepper spray would have been better suited for this knuckleheah.

she admitted in an interview that after hearing the announcement, she did not care what they said and that she was going to cheer for her daughter regardless if the other parents complied with the rule.

and we wonder why our kids are disrespectful and out of control.

should have put the dogs on her ignant ass. lol

• Ene Reply

June 6, 2012 at 9:20 pm

I, too, have been annoyed by parents that scream and yell when their child graduates but your remark went overboard also.

• Sexycinlv Reply

June 11, 2012 at 12:17 pm

You are ignorant!

• nmbr8 Reply

June 11, 2012 at 12:15 am

my sentiments exactly.

6. Ms. ebb Reply

June 6, 2012 at 1:01 pm

Come on now…. Arresting a proud parent is extremely excessive. Yes she was warned & maybe the excitement of it all got the best of her. A warning would have been enough. Yes there are rules & regulations for everything but to tell me I can’t say Congrats on a day that we as the parent have helped our children accomplish is crazy. We do not know the circumstances of this family. What or how they were able to get to this point. Maybe she was the 1st in her family to graduate, maybe it was a struggle for her to get to the great day. Let this mom & child enjoy their day… Whooo…..

7. anita farmer Reply

June 6, 2012 at 1:08 pm

I HAVE TO Agree with the previous comments; although you are filled with emotion of the purest sense of your child’s important acomplishment of graduating on time and with his/her class and receiving that certificate in hand….you must maintain an element of decorum when “specifically” asked to. It was “unfortunate” her over-zealousness
    overshadowed such an important day fo them…and probably moreso for the graduate….

• charles Reply

June 7, 2012 at 3:13 am

Anita: Unfortunately, I believe in mental illness. Instructions to the mentally challenged are not process as a context to determine what is appropriate. I have attended high school graduations of my children, enjoyed the experience and planned for their college matriculation. Commencement is the beginning of a journey, not the end of the journey. The difference should be instructional.

8. TJ Reply

June 6, 2012 at 1:08 pm

good on you mom for cheering when you were asked not to that really shows how proud and smart you are to your child (hope you detect my sarcasm). Follow the rules, I mean really this was a simple request. I can’t think of one parent who isn’t filled with pride and joy to see their child make it through school and graduate, it is a happy happy day. rules are put in place and should be followed. the bigger shame is that the cops have to be at a school graduation in the first place because people act foolishly and ruin it for others. I still say there is more to the story mom did more than just cheer to get arrested

9. Tia Reply

June 6, 2012 at 1:13 pm

I agree with all repondents. Having been very disappointed at my daughter’s kindergarten graduation recently, I am glad something was done about it. There is a time and place for everything and a graduation is not the place to act a fool. I understand the excitement but that does not give to right to be ignorant and disrepectful to the other graduates. Maybe getting arrested was a bit much but if she followed the rules she would not have had that problem. More schools should start doing this and maybe the buffoonery will stop.

• Wayne Hazzard Reply

June 6, 2012 at 6:40 pm

She was warned. Heard the warning. Either couldn’t control or opted to have her way. If can’t control,so ruin it for others? adult? example? THEY SHOULD HAVE PUT HER IN JAIL for a day so she can acquire a corrective memory. Thinking about nobody but self, hers and OVER doing it because she WANTS to. That’s why the kids are messed up. The Parents are messed.

10. Michelle Reply

June 6, 2012 at 1:13 pm

How completely ridiculous! Of course people celebrate and cheer at graduation–and so what? With all the barriers they throw in people’s way (especially Black youth) it’s a miracle for a kid to graduate these days. And since when do the cops get to “warn” people against First amendment-protected activities?

At every graduation I’ve ever attended, graduates are cheered by family and friends and the events are festive and loud. That’s the nature of these events. Do we live in such a police state that cops can ruin an important milestone and arrest a proud mother for cheering? Really?

• nmbr8 Reply

June 11, 2012 at 12:19 am

really indeed! i agree that cops should not be allowed to bully their way into ruining such a wonderful event.

11. pamelyn Reply

June 6, 2012 at 1:19 pm

I cheer for my 8 & 12 year olds now so I can image what high school graduation is gonna be like. Of course this is a small southern town we’re talking about. Being from NY & living in a small southern town myself I must say things are surely done differently down here. Isn’t it expected for family to cheer, I didn’t have any one cheering for me would’ve have been ashamed at all. My kids will think something was wrong if they didn’t hear me cheering them along. Arrresting her was ridiculous for real!

12. Black Budda Reply

June 6, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Anybody that think you should be arrest for cheering at a graduation is a moron. Escorted out maybe, but arrested that is excessive. Why are police at a graduation anyway. Our society is going to hell in a hand basket, when people are arrest for cheering too loud at a graduation, when you kids killing each other the street, which where the police should be located. Additional you uppity brainwashed idiots that think this ok, you are part of the problem. WAKE UP.

13. Mohmood Al Hafiz Reply

June 6, 2012 at 1:22 pm

A mother showing love and appreciation for her child’s achievement is not wrong. Its a graduation. I’ve been to plenty graduations and no matter how a parent or sister or brother acts, they are there to show support. The mother should not have been escorted out of the building. She should not have been arrested.

• charles Reply

June 7, 2012 at 3:20 am

Can I bring my trumpet to the next commencement and begin my celebratory concert as soon as my loved one is announced? Damn the others!

14. Andrea Perez Reply

June 6, 2012 at 1:23 pm

Having attended high school graduations in the pass I truly understand the police officers position. Many parents and other family members use the annoucement of their children’s name during the ceremony as an opportunity to publicly display boisterous and rude behaviors.
    Thereby prohibiting other parents the opportunity to hear their children’s names.

Keep in mind people, we are sending sublimial messages to our kids. In particular the message…”This is the greatest accomplishment of your life”.

In my household on a scale of 1-10 high school graduation was celebrated as a 5. We understood that high school was a drop in the bucket and the expectation for completion college and beyond is the true celebratory events.

15. jb Reply

June 6, 2012 at 1:30 pm

A NATION OF SHEEP FOLLOW THE RULES ALL THE WAY TO THE KILLING FLOOR!

16. wilbert freemon Reply

June 6, 2012 at 1:31 pm

some people just made to much noise U cannot hear the speakers

17. jimmydeanbakker Reply

June 6, 2012 at 1:31 pm

It’s better to cheer at your daughter’s graduation than to cry at her funeral. Although I sit stoic most of the time, a child graduating, a child walking across the stage is an appropriate time to become animated. I wish more moms could rejoice like this mom, but they’re usually the ones crying.

• Patricia Reply

June 6, 2012 at 8:17 pm

I thought WOW! Have we’ve gotten to the point where its a crime to be happy for our children.
      Many just needed something to post but dang…We speed down highways everyday all day knowing if we get pulled over its a freakin ticket!

I don’t no if I’m pissed more for the lack of support for this proud family or the mother’s arrest. My GOD, a proud mother!!!

Mom if know one have told you let me be the first, I WOULD HAVE SHOUTED WITH YOU handcuffs and all.
      I shouted for my 25 yr old in 2005 and I will be shouting in 2019!!!

-and Jimmydeanbakker,THANK YOU for pointing out the real FACTS!

• Jayne Carpenter Reply

June 6, 2012 at 8:53 pm

That is so true. We have so many young kids that are not even thinking about education. For any parent to see their child graduate is something to rejoice about. So many parents are burying their kids. My last child graduated from college 2 weeks ago, and all the family gave him a shout out, very quickly. We still heard the next person name. If that was the rule,, what happen to a warning, then if excessive, escorted out. It wasn’t. Serious enough to handcuff.

18. Tonya Boyd Reply

June 6, 2012 at 1:32 pm

As proud as she was to see her child walk across that stage, so were other parents. That day was about those children, period. While arrest might have been excessive, rules are rules. She didn’t have the right to interrupt the other graduate’s special moment and in doing so she made the event about her, not her daughter. While she talked to the media to gain sympathy for how she was treated I hope other parents who would be tempted to flagrantly ignore the rules learn from what happened to her.

June 7, 2012 at 11:59 am

Tonya Boyd you ignorant bitch if this is the worst thing a parent does in light of the thousands who don’t even finish high school; she should have been applauded! I sure even in that stgate there are enough criminals/gang bangers to keep the police busy doing a real job! As a former member of the law enforcement community I applaud not only this childs graduation but the enthusiasm shown by the mother! People perion and Blacks in general should rally around this woman almost as fervently as we did at the Trayvon Martin situation!

19. Angie Bee Reply

June 6, 2012 at 1:38 pm

I am personally annoyed when folks make all that noise at graduations. My daughter graduated last year, from an all girls public school in Detroit operated on a private school model. The girls are taught decorum, how to act. The principal warned them if they got too loud (aka Ghetto) she would shut down the ceremony hand out diplomas and the event would be over.

There is another reason for this, one, civilized folks act civilly and our girls are taught this early. Second, some grads don’t have families in attendance and it makes them feel worse. But this woman is free to whoop and holler when they get HOME!

Thanks for starting to crack down on this occurrence.

20. Proud Florida Mom Reply

June 6, 2012 at 1:38 pm

The warning was that one would be escorted out – not arrested and hauled away by the police. What a waste of taxpayers money and a shame for any proud graduate to see that happen to their parents. the school should be embarrassed if anybody should be. The comments agreeing that it was okay to arrest her for perhaps being happy that she accomplished her goal – getting her daughter to the first finish line of her education – are utterly ridiculous. I can’t imagine that any of those comments came from other proud parents who worked hard, made sacrifices and overcame any obstacles to ensure their child received a high school diploma – its definitely not a walk in the park.

21. BWms Reply

June 6, 2012 at 1:41 pm

The reason they ask parents not to be disruptive is every graduate should their name called at graduation and so should their families. If you are “whooping” it up when your child’s name is called, the next child’s family does not get to hear their child’s name due to your ridiculous behavior. I attended my nephew’s graduation and they gave the same warning. Yes, it was in SC. When they called my nephew’s name, I stood and I pumped my fists and waved my hand to let him know I was rooting for him. I did not; however, “whoop” it up so the next graduate’s name could not be heard. A family did what the screaming and whooping like this lady but they were prepared to walk out as a result and that’s what they did – the entire family yelled for the young lady and they all walked out rather than risk being led out.

22. CD Murphy Reply

June 6, 2012 at 1:42 pm

Arresting the mom for excessive cheering during a graduation seems to be over the top. But the thing about this is she was warned. We, meaning black people, often feel we don’t have to follow certain laws. We are known for being disruptive in movies and other places because we feel it’s okay to be overly expressive. What about the other graduates names that were mentioned and could not be heard because Ms. Cooper was having a loud moment? When the graduation was over she had PLENTY of time to express her congratulations and show how proud she was of her daughter’s graduation. What is wrong with a little decorum? Unfortunately, Ms. Cooper became an example. We need to remember rules and laws are in place for a reason. Had she followed them and kept her comments to herself, I wouldn’t even know her name. My two cents!

23. will Reply

June 6, 2012 at 1:47 pm

I have been to graduations and its a dam shame the way some folks act. Men are not hung for stealing horses, they are hung so that horses will not be stolen. Let this be a message to all people that think they can ruin the graduation for everyone just because their kid made it to the stage. And BTW, even though our kids are dropping out of school left and right, graduating from high school is NO BIG DEAL. Clap be proud and STFU.

• jimmydeanbakker Reply

June 6, 2012 at 2:38 pm

Graduating high school is a big accomplishment, and should be treated as such. It’s one of the first requirements in the educational process. It’s more likely that a person will go on to a higher degree once they’ve completed high school.

• Will Reply

June 7, 2012 at 3:23 pm

Come on

HS graduation is not a big deal and you would be doing your child a disservice to allow them to feel that it is. HS graduation should be a given. The real celebration should be getting accepted into college, making the dean’s list, and graduating college with honors. We have graduations for going from Kindergarten to the first grad–just silly. Don’t get me wrong–be happy, celebrate, go to dinner, take all the pictures you want, but be sure to set the bar a lot higher. If you really think that graduation from HS is such a big deal then try to get somewhere in this world with that accomplishment alone. We are setting the bar way to low because most of our kids are dropping out. My parents expected me to graduate. In the furthest reaches of their minds there was no other choice and while we celebrated and had a good time my father was sure to remind me that I had just started my journey. Now I have a masters degree and I am a VP of an international operation, but not by luck. My expectations were raised by the standards my parents, family, and village placed on me.

That’s what has changed here.

24. will Reply

June 6, 2012 at 1:49 pm

I wish they would arrest these loud mouths at the movies to. Why do our people act a dam fool all the time. Its always us that feel we have the right to show our a**.

25. Elizabeth Reply

June 6, 2012 at 1:55 pm

This is not news. This is South Carolina. It has been going on for years. The arrests, the handcuffs, jail, and all eyes turn to the police and away from the
    graduates who should be getting the attention. So sad and who benefits?

This may just be high schools as College of Charleston has a beautiful ceremony and people do clap and even whoop a little.

26. milton williams Reply

June 6, 2012 at 1:58 pm

we all know the deal….in America…Black people..will always be observed…and put under a and increasingly..glaring microscope…to view any and every thing…that may be considered by “them” as hostile, agressive..or in any way threatening..it is their mantra..for domination plus control…of the masses of blacks..whom they want marginized period!

• jimmydeanbakker Reply

June 6, 2012 at 3:06 pm

Whites scrutinize us all the time, and ridicule us for rejoicing, when we accomplish anything. For example, a white athlete can jump and rejoice in victory while a black athlete will receive an admonishment or public backlash for doing the same. And to make matters worse, the majority of us will point and jeer and spit in the face of our people to defend the white man’s position. We didn’t start celebrating Martin Luther King until whites said it was okay. The people that believe it’s okay to arrest a mother for cheering, probably view every black person as a criminal before they ever know them. Nobody hates black people more than black people.

June 7, 2012 at 12:10 pm

jimmydeanbakker! I applaud you! To me your comments only serves to reinforce much of the information I am including in a book I have begun writing called; “Africanj Americans-Their Own Worst Enemy.” Thank you! Black People themselves are doing us more harm than ever the system could and if they leave us to our own devices we are bound to destroyu ourselves! Any one reading this who disbelieve it just google the name: Willie Lynch and read his letter called, “The Making of A Slave.” Some of our nown people disgust the shit out of me! Ignorant Bastards!

27. renee boseman Reply

June 6, 2012 at 1:58 pm

I feel for the lady, but I’ve been at graduations where there was so much hollering and yelling the people couldn’t hear their child’s name being called.
    With over hundreds of graduates going up getting their diplomas and every family screaming it takes up too much time. The principal usually stops to give a warning about it reminding everyone about the seriousness of the ceremony. Families can save the celebration at a after graduation party. Let the good times roll somewhere else.

28. Buttons Reply

June 6, 2012 at 2:08 pm

I have been very annoyed at the way some parents and relatives act at graduations; it is ridiculous. Graduating from high school is certainly an accomplishment, but some parents cheer as if their children have reached the pinnacle of success. Sometimes too much celebration, depending on the circumstances, can send the wrong message. Receiving a high school diploma is a step towards achieving higher accomplishments in life; it is not the mountain top. And ditto to all the statements on decorum, very well stated.

29. rose Reply

June 6, 2012 at 2:29 pm

I WAS AT MY DAUGHTER GRADUATION AND SOME GIRLS SITTING BEHINE ME STARTED SCREEMING SEEN LIKE FOR EVER I HAD TO GET UP AND LEAVE SO I DON`T FEEL SORRY FOR THIS WOMEN FOLLOW THE RULES !!!!

June 7, 2012 at 12:15 pm

rose! All I can say to you dear woman is to please check your spelling/grammar and correct it if you can! I can understand why you feel about this woman as you do because reading what you wrote it is obvious you either did not graduate or if you did you were allowed to graduate your ignorant no spelling ass to make a seat for another such as you! Personally! I feel very sorry for you! However; grieve not my dear, there are many just like you on here who are haters because they never graduated! The painful thing to me is that all too many of them are black with a plantation mentality!

30. Manetric Douglas Reply

June 6, 2012 at 2:32 pm

I’m sorry but I have to respectfully disagree. I understand the need for waiting until the end to holler out for your kid(s) but for a lot of families their kids will be first generation graduates from high school. Not only that but for minorities, unfortunately, not many of us graduate from high school. I graduated 9 years ago and I can tell you there was less brown skin walking across the stage to get a diploma. This is a celebration, an end to childhood and on the cusp of adulthood. I can understand a warning or even escort to the back of room but to be arrested seems excessive.

31. Elizabeth Reply

June 6, 2012 at 2:36 pm

I find several things wrong at graduations. They parade the students onto the stage and off so quickly until you can barely get a decent photo.

Any parent would want to clap for their child, so why not have the students come up and at least have a few moments to stand after receiving their diploma to give moms and dads a chance to enjoy this wonderul time of accomplishment.

If family would clap or cheer respectively and “HUSH” so that the next child can be recognized, there would be no arrest. This is all about respect not only for you but for others.

Shame on the school, the police and this mom who did not remember the rules. A polite clamp, one whoop, she probably prolonged all in her excitement.

Many years ago when you graduated, your name was called, you walked onto the stage got your diploma stood for a few seconds per the teachers instuctions and then you walked off the stage. When your foot hit the step going off the stage the next students name was called. So simple and it worked.

32. R. J. Reply

June 6, 2012 at 2:40 pm

While I agree that parents, family, and friends should tone it down a tad at graduations, I think that the officials could have warned attendees again not to do what that mom had done. That would have been enough embarrassment for the mother, and everyone could have had a good day. Why arrest someone for “disorderly conduct” on such a special day? It was poor judgment on both sides. Shame on you Florence, South Carolina.

33. Lottie Reply

June 6, 2012 at 2:42 pm

My husband passed away when my son was in 8th grad and this Friday he is Graduating from High School and will attend college in the fall! Now I say that to say, I am an African American single mother of two sons. I have a rising junior and a graduate. I had to battle the school system that is designed to discourage young African American males to stay in school, not openly but overtly! I have put out fires, met with teachers, emailed administrator, called advisors and at the same time worked hard to keep my son’s self esteem intact. I had to stay on top of my boys, their friends, the girls that wanna have fun, the streets and the educational system that only expects them to fail. So when my son receives his diploma (first major milestone for him) I may want to shout and say thank you LORD! I may not because I don’t ususally shout in public, (only in church). I cannot blame any African American parent that has dealt with the school system for wanting to yell out an Amen or two! For those who think they are to dignified to do that, just wait until you have children and watch how they are always up against it, no matter how smart they are. Ask President Obama about it, after all he is a Harvard Graduate and folks don’t believe he is a US Citizen. Good for that MOM who had the nerve to be HAPPY for a change instead of crying at her childs funeral!

• MsDdre Reply

June 6, 2012 at 3:02 pm

FOLLOW THE RULES, MAMA!

YOU’RE NOT ABOVE THE LAW BECAUSE YOU RAISED YOUR CHILDREN TO EXCEL IN SCHOOL!

SORRY, BUT THERE ARE MANY LIKE YOU WHO HAVE SAID AND DONE THE SAME THING WITH THEIR KIDS.

BELIEVE ME, YOU’RE SPECIAL, BUT NOT THAT SPECIAL WHERE YOU FEEL LIKE YOU CAN AND DO WHAT YOU WANT WITHOUT RECOURSE.

June 7, 2012 at 12:27 pm

MsDdre! I know not of your race but I hope you aren’t black with this type of bullshit mentality! I don’t know if you know who Dr. Martin Luther King, Rosa Parks or countless others even non-blacks such as Mrs. Viola Liuzzo (not sure of the spelling)who refused to follow the rules of the jim crow south and other SO-CALLED RULED even sanctioned byt our federal government! Check all this out for yourself and maybe you will beging to see what I and others are talking about! YOU ARE A SAD PERSON AND SHOULD BE ASHAME OF YOUR IGNORANCE IN THIS DAY AND AGE!

June 7, 2012 at 12:21 pm

Lottie! I agree with all you said except for when you said, “I don’t usually shout in public (except in church) I feel sorry for you if that is the only time you shout because you are another prime example of those black hippa-christians! You and your ilk are full-of-shit!

34. Tonia Reply

June 6, 2012 at 2:50 pm

As a mother who oldest child just graduated June 2nd, I am simply amazed about the arrest. I understand how a person can get carried away during graduation but to get arrested is extreme. Screaming, cheering, praising God, and celebrating doesn’t supposed to lead to arrest. I feel like she should have been asked to leave but to garnish a person’s criminal record is excessive.

35. Wattree Reply

June 6, 2012 at 2:51 pm

Knowing how to carry yourself, and not embarrassing your child in public is also a part of education. Why do some of us always have to make a spectacle of ourselves? We make ourselves look like clowns. If you want to show your pleasure with your child’s graduation, there are many other ways to do it, in private. So, maybe her loud demonstration wasn’t designed to celebrate her daughter’s accomplishment, but to draw attention to herself. Well, she got it, so she shouldn’t complain. It time for us to start celebrating common sense.

June 7, 2012 at 1:05 pm

Wattree! Your ignorant as is exactly the type of steppin-fetchit Ni—rs the system want because thknow you can and will do a much better job at keeping us in our place than they can/do! Believe me your time is coming when they are through using you like a kotex! Mark my words asshole!

• Will Reply

June 7, 2012 at 3:09 pm

MaCon

I can now see why you identify so much with the mother of the child. She made a clown of herself at the graduation and you made a clown of yourself on this blog. Your response was over the top and outlandish but try not to make the same mistake at your child’s graduation.

36. Chris Reply

June 6, 2012 at 2:56 pm

Given the nature of most minority parents, I could only guess that this would be another way to keep to their “tradition” in regards to the desire to keep many “in line”.

• nell Reply

June 6, 2012 at 8:01 pm

Shut up Chris. White attendees were eating in the audience at the last University Graduation I attended.

• Willa Leviston Reply

June 6, 2012 at 8:28 pm

Chris, The mother’s cheering isn’t a “tradition” among AA. I’ve been to graduations where white people brought bullhorns, noise makers, plastic clappers, and shouted, whooped and hollered while their family member graduated. This occurred at high school and college graduations. So what the mother was exuberant. She didn’t need to be arrested for that. If she were white she wouldn’t have been arrested. The police continually use the “Black Code” to arrest and punish blacks for minor offenses.

June 7, 2012 at 12:35 pm

Willa Leviston! I applaud your insight and intestional fortitude for speaking out! As a former of the lwa enforcement community; I say people like you are my heroines/heros and should be applauded! There are so damn many of us blacks who are incacerated and I know their parents would have prefered to attend their graduation as opposed to their incaceration! My Woman friend knowing of the graduations I have attended for my children both at the various levels of regular school and college; knowing how I responded them told me I would probably have been sent to prison! So-called police such as these DISGUSTS ME! Arrest some real criminals which I know some of your PUNK ASSES are too damn afraid to confront real criminals and these gang bangers! The really said thing is this sort of fear is pervasive from the highest to the lowest levels of law enforcement!

• Will Reply

June 7, 2012 at 3:36 pm

You are completely missing the point. We have all been to graduations where people showed out and did not get arrested (white and black). The issue here is that the crowd was warned and if the police were there it was because they have had a problem before. She told reporters that she knew she would be thrown out by escort yet she did it anyway. These are her words.

37. Charles T Reply

June 6, 2012 at 3:09 pm

Y’know this really sounded odd on the surface, but when I got into the story I detected a certain selfishness on the mother’s part at the expense of the other celebrating families in the auditorium. Was she shouting for her daughter, or because she wanted everyone else to SEE she was shouting for her daughter? I wasn’t there and I guess the mother could have been escorted out, but would that have stopped her from making a spectacle of herself without being handcuffed? Tough call.

38. Ke Reply

June 6, 2012 at 3:17 pm

The police and the school system is wrong, they got a nerve to arrest a proud mother of a graduate, where their is other crimes in the streets like, rape, child molesters, more serious cold case files that is not resolved and they got a nerve focus their energy on a mother of a graduate something minor, how about arrest those criminals who really deserve it and stop wasting time on the good people and start resolving real cases on the real criminals, I’m so sick of the system….

June 7, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Ke! I applaud you and those of us like you! Thanks for having the gumption to speak out like a Real American! Shame be upon the school systems such as these and the Law Enforcement Community! Why is this so-called police officer and those like it not busy taking care of those school bullies who are causing so many young people to commit suicide! American People we had better wake up and pull our heads out of our asses as this is a good sign that it is almost too late!

39. linda Reply

June 6, 2012 at 3:22 pm

ok…while she probably didn’t need to be put in handcuffs, she probably didn’t need to cheer loudly either. if the mom admits to ‘celebrating’, then i can only imagine how much noise she really made. admittedly, i hate when a graduation crowd is asked to limit the applause until the end and people yell and scream anyway. guess what, ur child will know ur proud without that 15 sec. ‘whoop and holla’ session. there are soooo many other ways to provide accolades throughout the day. and if u must, ‘whoop and holla’ when its appropriate. yeah, yeah… i get it. its graduation and a big step in life. but speaking on life, how about teach a life lesson in self control, constraint, and social appropriateness. that lesson will go a longer way for that graduating senior than yelling his or her name at the graduation ceremony.

40. Shyreeta Reply

June 6, 2012 at 3:45 pm

I’m all for making a person follow the rules. I do think that people can be excessive at graduations and allow their bursting emotions to carry them over the top. That is not okay. What bothers me in this day and age is that when the punishment is also excessive, many people can’t move their focus off of the offense to see that the punishment doesn’t necessarily fit the crime.

Because I was not there, I don’t know if there was an attempt to simply escort her from the ceremony and maybe she resisted and it had to be elevated to the point of arrest. If that is what happened, then I can totally understand the arrest. However, if the arrest was the initial intention of the officer, instead of a mere removal, there is something wrong with that! I’m all for accountability for myself and for others. It bothers me when people decide they’re going to talk during presentations, classes, movies, etc. when they should be respectable toward the presenters and the rest of the audience. If I did so, I would expect to be reprimanded, asked to leave, or escorted out. But if I don’t resist or threaten or disrupt any further, an arrest would be above and beyond my offense.

41. Kim Reply

June 6, 2012 at 3:45 pm

In times like these we don’t have too much to celebrate anymore. I mean damnnnn can we be glad when we hear our childs name at the ceremony? What else or how many other things do we have to cheer about? Ican’t stnnd it when black people try to be so damn UPPIDY. At least she wasn’t screaming at a childs funeral! Give it a rest! Let good times be good times IN THESE DAYS! DAmN!

• Koko Reply

June 6, 2012 at 3:52 pm

I TOTALLY agree. Those that have progressed in corporate or social America find it easy to disassociate with the ones still finding their way and purpose. Every one is not meant to be bourgeoisie and follow the imitative traditions of mainstream culture.

June 7, 2012 at 12:46 pm

Koko! Please read a book called; The Mis-Education of the Negro! It is a prime example of what you have posted here! I am 64 years young an have traveled extensively to many countries in the military and afterwards; every country I have visited there were blacks primarily Africans! Regardless of our accomplishments whereever we are found that system never treats us as equals and never will! The real shame of it all is those of us blacks who identify and agree with them! Look at how how donald stump and his ilk is treating President Obama and the sex=offender service is too damn busy to do anything about it! What are we doing about it? NOT A DAMN THING!

• Robert Reply

June 6, 2012 at 6:04 pm

Just like I hate it when black people rationalize inappropriate behavior by calling others that actually follow the rules or expect others to do so UPPITY? huh?? its uppity to respect the format of a ceremony? c’mon, that’s ridiculous.

• Lauryn Reply

June 7, 2012 at 12:40 am

You took the words right out of my mouth Robert. Thank you for your comment.

42. Koko Reply

June 6, 2012 at 3:47 pm

I sympathize with the mother. I almost didn’t get my diploma due to the cheers from the crowd at my predominately white high school. When I graduated I did what no student in the entire high school history did; 2 vocational programs, college prep and early graduation. Plus I was the first of my parents children to graduate from college. Therefore I think it was wrong of them to arrest her or throw her out. You never know what a family has been through, and when it is a true Holy Ghost shouting moment. From someone that was never supposed to make it to the 9th grade because of the life I was living, and has made it to 2 bachelor’s degree and is pursuing MBA/J.D. I stand by this mother and her dynamic daughter.
    P.S. Ms. Cooper college graduation is different, they don’t care if you make noise LOL.

43. Robyn Spears Reply

June 6, 2012 at 3:57 pm

If the woman had been White she’d maybe been told to quieten down, but no body would have locked her up…ya’ll are blind.

June 7, 2012 at 12:52 pm

Robyn Spears! Had shen been any other race than Black she would not have been spoken to at all! I recently attended a High School Graduation with very few blacks graduating! There was noice galore even from the band when their members were called! The really sad thing was there was a young African Male who graduated and when his name was called the entire stadium was quite except for me and believe me I was heard! His mother was killed in a tragic accident a few months of their arrival in this country but he was persistent against all opposition he encountered and made it to graduation and will be attending college!

44. Daniel Reply

June 6, 2012 at 4:01 pm

Are all of you good minded people out of your mind? People in the stands should have jumped on the policeman and escorted his butt out of the stands. I know thats what would have happened in California. Everybody yells and makes as much moise as they can whenever they see their child. Entire families make it a contest. There is so much moise sometimes you can’t hear the loud speaker, but you knmow your child is up next so thats when the screaming starts. It is celebration time. You don’t restrain that. Let it out. I wish a M f would try and shut me or my family up.

45. Julius Reply

June 6, 2012 at 4:01 pm

Thank you officer!!! I hate when parents/families flip into ghetto mode and completely disregard the request of the venue to respect the other students and families and HOLD APPLAUSE till the end. We need more of this!

June 7, 2012 at 12:54 pm

JuiceAss! Do you really think she was the only person cheering here? I sure as hell hope not!

46. Biodun Beck Reply

June 6, 2012 at 4:12 pm

Michael Moore says it right: STUPID WHITE MEN.This is a very stupid PoliceMAN.He doesn’t deserve to be called a Officer.He is just a stupid white man.A good Police Officer would simply escort this obviously over joyous Mother out of the hall.But who on earth gives this stupid policeman the right to arrest anyone for being too happy?Crazy USA.

47. Barbara S. Brown Reply

June 6, 2012 at 4:14 pm

Common Sense Graduation – An Administrative Point of View
    The parents of the high school in Virginia where I was the first year principal had been accustomed to the ROWDY celebration at graduation. Prior to the graduation, all parents of the graduating seniors had to meet with me to discuss the expectations at the Commencement Ceremony for them and their guests. It took at least 10 meetings to speak with all parents;some on a one to one basis.
    At one pont of the ceremony, prior to the calling of the names, I asked the audience to stand collectively to SCREAM, CHEER and HOLLER for their special graduate. When the diplomas were awarded NO ONE UTTERED a sound. The local newspaper hailed it as one of the BEST Graduations ever for PHS. School adminitrators today seemingly have no commom sense approaches to many issues in education.Perhaps they need to do a better job of sharing their expectations with the community.

June 7, 2012 at 1:00 pm

Barbara S. Brown! Since you were able to become a principal I take it you graduated a few times did you not? If so can you remember if your parents, relatives and host of friends were present for any of these? You sound as if they weren’t and has you very angry and hateful! If they were in attendance at any of these; please share with uis please what their demeanor was like! You sound like one of the many mentioned in the book, “The Mis-Education of The Negro.” Honey! You have not made it nor are you accepted as an equal and one day before your demise I guarantee you it will become clear to you! Look at what is happening to President Obama! WOMAN YOU AND THOSE LIKE YOU ARE SAD!

48. bay area 510 Reply

June 6, 2012 at 4:31 pm

Wow!!! The comments of my people lol. When you look into Our history we celebrate everything from birth,to new jobs,marriages,new homes,homegoing,new car,graduatios,and sometimes just because thats what we do. We all know my peoples r loud n sometime its a shame to be black,but that dont make it right to make rules up based on color. It s a problem from the start when you attened any black gathering ,n approach the events n the man n blue assume you r the problem , so his boy s babysit u all night until u screw up then take you in. See others get away with excuse , n we go straight to jail pleading not guilt I didn t kill him,but if they Base rules on crime n not COLOR this want be as bad. So Let us njoy our victories the way we know how where the party at lol.

49. Playrighter Reply

June 6, 2012 at 4:37 pm

I would like to see the arrest report. It sounds like her “treatment” was excessive, but there may be more to this than we are reading.

Per the students’ own vote, parents were told that they would be escorted out for making noise before the ceremony concluded. Police say that parents who were disruptive after being escorted out were arrested. So the question remains: what happened AFTER Shannon Cooper was escorted out (as she should have known she would be).

BTW: The police chief is black, so racism isn’t it.

50. Madashelle Reply

June 6, 2012 at 5:06 pm

It is so freaking annoying when I attend these graduations and I hear family members of the graduates carrying on like fools. Some of these family members think that their child is the only one that matters, well I beg to differ. My children matter to me as much as the next Joe and when my child’s name is called, I would like to hear their names too. I follow the rules at these ceremonies and I wished like hell that everyone else did.

51. Louis Stewart Reply

June 6, 2012 at 6:39 pm

I have been blessed to have attending a college graduation commencement ceremonies by each of my three daughters. I was very happy and may have made a little too much noise at each commencement ceremony. This cannot be a crime!In addition to my pride in their achievements, I was overjoyed to get a break from writing those big checks!Why was this woman arrested immediately for disorderly conduct while George Zimmerman walked free for months after shooting Trevon Martin?

• Playrighter Reply

June 6, 2012 at 8:28 pm

Louis: Not sure why you had to relate this to that case, but Zimmerman was in fact handcuffed, taken to the police station, and questioned for several hours and was released after all the available evidence was examined, along with the pertinent laws. So far, it looks like Zimmerman was a reluctant shooter, while the lady in this case intentionally acted out with what should have been full knowledge of the consequences. The arrest report should give more detail as to why she was not just escorted out. The arrest report in the other case gives clues, as well.

52. Shahid Raki Reply

June 6, 2012 at 7:01 pm

In Dayton, Ohio there are instructions given at the beginning of handing out high school graduates diplomas, asking family and friends to hold their applause until the ceremony is completed, but it is not paid any attention by the excited folks. If those officers were in Dayton they would be arresting a lot of people in our audiences because that will happen at any level. I went to my grandson’s Kindergarten recognition last week and there were a few excited family members, but not like when they get to high school or college.

53. Riki Smith Reply

June 6, 2012 at 7:27 pm

No warning is needed. ALLOW TIME FOR FAMILY MEMBERS TO SHOW THEIR PRIDE TO THEIR CHILDREN – PERIOD!! It may take 5 min longer but if they shaved off the time for the faculty to be recognized (which isn’t necessary since they are only doing their jobs and their not graduating) then there would be time to recognize the actual graduates properly. Quit bugging! They were wrong to arrest her or escort her out or anything else. This is supposed to be enjoyed. If you want solemnity, go to a christening!

54. Loretta Reply

June 6, 2012 at 7:35 pm

Everyday we watch the news, read the internet, as well as in news papers about our young people being killed or sent to jail for senseless crimes. This woman cheered for her daughter for all of 30 seconds and was arrested, that’s crazy!
    My daughter weighed one and half pounds when she was born, at her high school graduation I screamed, hollered, cried and thanked God, when her named was called. Than I sat back down. If we don’t praise our children who will? I too love my child, and just as this mother, I’m not affraid to show it!

55. Mike Holmes Reply

June 6, 2012 at 7:47 pm

It was expected of me and my brothers in my family to graduate from high school and college. It was no big deal for me and my father told me I am not buying you anything because you graduated from high school you are suppose to and that is what is expected out of you.We have dum ourselves down as a race there were more graduates during segregation then there are now

56. nell Reply

June 6, 2012 at 7:59 pm

I wish more could be escorted out. I am a retired principal/college administrator and I try not to attend graduations because of the boorish behavior of the audiences.

I have had to stop graduations and get the police to send parents back to their seats. At the college level, the graduates could barely march out because the audiences was trying to get to their loved ones

She was obviously over the top and I congratulate the administrators for making an example of her. Maybe the word will get around and next year the audience can act a little civilized.

57. abimbola olayiwola Reply

June 6, 2012 at 8:34 pm

It is an odd world!

58. Eddie (SC) Reply

June 6, 2012 at 8:34 pm

I am willing to bet you she hollowed louder than she admited on TV. Rules are rules however, any administrative staff in and at “ANY” educational setting know that people are going to be people, and emotions are going to be high because of the nature of the beast.

When certain votes or rules are made for particular situation, there comes a time when amdinistrators have to take a stand and say… it sounds good but it want work, (after all we are suppose to be the more intellegent ones). If the truth be told every one of us is guilty of what this woman did. The question that remain to be answered is “Did the entire senior class vote on this new cheering policy or were there a few selected persons to make this a rule/policy?

Having being a former administrator for a school district in SC. There is “NO” way you can deprive a person of expressing themself at a ceremony such as “a graduation”.

We know that we’re emotional driven people.

In my summary, I am of the opinion the Superintendent of the distict should have advocated this loud and clear, “Ladies and Gents: we asking you hold all applauds until all graduates have been reconized, failure to do so will lead to you being escorted from the ceremony.”

I hope the district have deeps pockets, some savvy attorney out there has just made themself rich…… after all this did go nationwide.

Poor SC, what’s next for us?

59. KGray Reply

June 6, 2012 at 9:12 pm

I work for a inner city school district and it is a shame how the parents and family members act at the graduation. I hate to say it but it’s always Black people who seems to act the worst. The way some of them behave, you would think that their child was graduating from Medical School. I know that parents are proud of their child or childrens accomplishments however, show some class and dignity. I feel she shouldn’t have been arrested;however, if they had ask her to stop and she wouldn’t comply, then she got what she deserved. We had to escort several parents and family members out of the graduation; because,they were shouting and whistling and being disrepectful toward the others who were there to see their children graduate as well. Stop the non-sense and act with some dignity toward others.

60. Ruby from NJ Reply

June 6, 2012 at 10:04 pm

Although the mother disobeyed the rules, escorting her out of the hall with a warning should have been enough. Have you noticed that black people, male and female, are arrested for the most minor offense? I believe the plan is to give as many of us as possible a jail record, then use that as an excuse to prevent us from voting. Think about it.

61. Robert McDaniel Reply

June 6, 2012 at 11:37 pm

Damn shame.I was just @ my 2 grandboys graduations
    & me,my son and there mother hollered & gave them
    there props. So did other parents.This country is fucked up. We are all going to Hell in a hand basket. Veitnam Veteran !

• Cassandra Reply

June 7, 2012 at 1:37 am

Amen Robert…we are in a free country with freedom of speech and that includes yelling, hollering or whatever !!!

62. Miss T Reply

June 7, 2012 at 12:08 am

I recently attended my nephews high school graduation and everyone was celebrating the graduates. The larger the group of friends/family the more noise…confetti, bubbles, colorful signs, hand clappers, whistles, drums, rattles…all done in good taste. The announcer was bright enough to wait a pregnant pause before announcing the next name. We sat with people we didn’t even know, but when their family member’s name was called we cheered with them and vica versa. Damn this country is uptight! Glad our celebration wasn’t in that neck of the woods. And, when i graduate in two weeks, I’ll feel kinda sad if I don’t hear a lil’ shoutout for me from my friends and family.

63. Alex Crittenden Reply

June 7, 2012 at 12:55 am

Plain and simple. She got what she deserved. Act like an idiot and pay the price.

64. Chyna Reply

June 7, 2012 at 1:19 am

Yes, I too have been to many graduations. And for the person to say its a miracle, that’s silly. A miracle because you didn’t expect it to happen? Gee!! I think we all are proud, but the screaming and yelling is not only distracting, it’s an embarrassment. Go figure.

65. Cassandra Reply

June 7, 2012 at 1:35 am

Last time I checked South Carolina is in the USA where we have freedom of speech…so she could yell, holla or do whatever at a public graduation…we arent in a third world country….so for you idiots that dont know we are in the Free USA…now you know !!!

66. nana63 Reply

June 7, 2012 at 4:09 am

i’ve been to many graduation ceremonies in the past 50 yrs. the behavior of the parents and families has gotten progressively worse. what once was a “dignified” rite of passage, has, for some, become a chance to “show out”. the disrepect for the occassion is unbelievable. the ignorance of proper decorum at such an occasion, loud talking, talking on cell phones, taking pictures when asked not to, leaving one’s seat to get closer to the stage to take “baby sis’s” or “baby bru’s” picture. just outright “stupid”, even after being asked not to engage in such behavior. everyone at the ceremony has the right to hear the program and hear their relative’s name called( that’s what most came for, to hear the graduate’s name). everyone who graduates has a story to tell. so, you can’t say whose story is better. for the people who make excessively loud “shout-outs”, like,
    ” THAT’S MY BABY”, “YOU GO GIRL/BOY”,”YES JESUS”, “YES, YES, YES,” “THANK YOU LORD”, OR ” GO NISHA”, “GO RAQUAN”, “GO SHAQUETA”, and tend to add various NOISE,& DANCES, which interrupts the flow of the program. they do not consider others who are waiting to here the name. so, if anyone condones ill behavior at a graduation ceremony, then GOD HELP US ALL!

• The Realist Reply

June 7, 2012 at 1:13 pm

nana63! It should have been h e a r ans NOT here! I can tell yoiu have probably never graduated either!

67. D Reply

June 7, 2012 at 9:47 am

This is purely asinine. Most parents are excited for their children’s accomplishments. This is the beginning of Martial Law to ruin/destroy as many blacks as possible. Don’t sleepwalk I this type of police behavior.

68. Brian Reply

June 7, 2012 at 12:00 pm

You people that think it appropriate are so far from reality. Dignified, just shows how much you know! It is a jubilant celebration. If you go on Youtube you will see many colleges invite irreverent comedians to give the commencement speech because it is a end of a long journey and the beginning of another! A celebration of the graduating classes achievement.

I just graduated and the stand erupted for each student that had a cheering section. Don’t be fooled by these power driven public entities, No reason to arrest anyone and I will bet had a white person done the same nothing would have been done.

When my name was called I wished I would have had a large cheering section so I did the next best thing, I stopped half way across the stage turned to the crowd threw my hands to the air and received a thunderous applause from audience! Apparently everyone understands that graduation is a special moment in any individuals life and had enough love in their hearts to make sure those with no one to show love had got some!

69. The Realist Reply

June 7, 2012 at 1:10 pm

Brian! Thank you for your common sense apporoach to this! I also wish there had been someone there to cheer and help you celebrate thin momentus event in your life! I congratulate you!

70. Suga Reply

June 7, 2012 at 4:11 pm

This was a proud moment for her Mother, so they did go overboard with it.Some parents wait till the end of the graduation to shout and praise their child at graduation…But a simple, walking over and let her know to quiet down, would been enough.Police has went overboard in many occassions so its not surprising at all.

71. kmad Reply

June 7, 2012 at 6:03 pm

Ok, I understand everyone’s point, that being said as a proud mom of two high school grads,two college grads and another high school grad up and coming, I understand the joy and excitement, in this world it a hellified accomplishment,BUT EVERY PARENT waits for the moment their child’s name is called,WE WAITED TWELVE DAMN YEARS FOR IT! So put the damn blow horns and crap away, clap, respectably cheer, hell cry but remember your child is not the only one on that stage!!!!! Arrested, too much, being asked to quiet down OR you’ll be escorted out probably would have been enough, the arrest probably caused more disruption than the mother……just sayin.

72. tau Reply

June 7, 2012 at 6:09 pm

Now I know this mother wasn’t the only one cheering…What can I infer from this?

73. DOROTHY Reply

June 7, 2012 at 8:41 pm

Oh so its ok to lie,cheat and steal. Its ok not to hire our children so that you push them into a world of crime and the prison complex. Wakeup black people they dont want you to have an education, they dont want you to encourage your children.. Please push for exclence, go to college and make what you wear, grow what you eat. Ther is only one way out you have to become producers and not consumers. Brake the slave mentality. They are not going to change untill they are all dead and heaven has no place for the unblievers that does not love their fellowman. Pray and Vote they are trying to steal another election.

74. Milinda Alston-Murrain Reply

June 8, 2012 at 8:25 pm

Certainly some folks jubilantly over-the-top. Is this a criminal act? I have been annoyed at folks with excessive applause/screaming, but don’t feel that this is a crime.

Frankly, some parents are so overwhelmed because the road to graduation via teenage struggles has been a difficult journey. They are just grateful that the child made it.

75. bobby g Reply

June 10, 2012 at 1:42 am

I’m sure there was more to it than that. It only takes a few seconds to walk across the stage. Most cheers are about 5 seconds she probably did make a scene or the cop did

76. Sarah Reply

June 11, 2012 at 2:31 am

Carlos Jones, you are an asshole and an idot. Do you have kids who graduated? I do not think so. God is watching and the rest of the world. A law suit is the answer.

77. Sarah Reply

June 11, 2012 at 2:53 am

What fkng rules? My 3 children graduated from college. The happiest moment. I screamed, holler and everyone made so much noise and it was fun and excitment. The cops need to go after the criminals and crooks.

78. brj Reply

June 14, 2012 at 2:06 pm

I can’t believe some of the comments I’m reading. It’s as if this is the first time a parent has cheered for their child @ a graduation. Black or white. And I’m sure THEIR parents did the EXACT same thing. What hypocrites. Ok, if she was warned, walk over to her, tell her to keep it down or be escorted out, but not arrested. That was WAY overboard.

79. David W. Johnson Jr. Reply

July 12, 2012 at 3:22 pm

I Wish God Would Whipe Out All You Racist, Ignorant Pieces Of Trash. All You To Do To African Americans Is Jail Or Kill Them. If I Lived There A Lot Of You Pieces Of Crap Would Pay For Arresting That Mother.

80. Min. Michael Muhammad Reply

September 25, 2012 at 10:51 pm

Breaking News! on 09/25/2012 Mom found not guilty after cheering at child’s graduation..The Rosa Park of 2012!Thanks all News, Radio and New Order National Human Rights Organization..God is Great

By. Tonya Brown TV15

“A jury has acquitted Shannon Cooper of Disorderly Conduct, according to officials at Florence City Court.

Florence police arrested Cooper in June for excessive cheering at her daughter’s graduation at the Florence Civic Center.

Police say it was announced before the graduation ceremony that anyone who cheered would be escorted out of the building.

School district administrators say parents were sent letters warning them of what could happen if they cheered during the ceremony.

Testimony got underway in her trial Monday afternoon. Closing arguments were heard Tuesday.

It took the jury about two and a half hours to find Cooper not guilty.”