Nomalanga: Why Adidas Should Not Have Cancelled the Shackle Shoe

Adidas has reportedly cancelled its plans to release the “shackle shoe” into the market after it was criticized for advertising it on the Adidas Facebook page.

I think that Adidas’ first mistake was releasing the design to begin with. I question whether they used simple marketing tools,such as surveys,  before they decided to launch this new “shackle shoe”. That being said, I think that now that they have gone public with the design, the next mistake was to withdraw it.

I believe that even before they promoted the shoe on their Facebook page, they were aware of the slavery undertones that came with it. That is part of business; you take risks and sometimes they pay off. If Adidas was looking for a massive amount of attention, they got it. I’m just appalled that they are now trying to weasel their way out of it by “withdrawing” the shoe.

The bottom line is that Adidas decided to take a risk to get media attention and they got it. They should stand by their design and lie in the bed that they made.  Trying to withdraw the shoe at this time is a bad decision because it makes it look like their design team was so incompetent that they did not consider the implication of a shoe with shackles on it being marketed in a country like America. America has has a very painful history in which shackles played a very significant role.

Shame on Adidas.

18 Responses to Nomalanga: Why Adidas Should Not Have Cancelled the Shackle Shoe

1. Pingback: Dr. Boyce: Adidas and the Slave Shoe - How This Kind of Thing Happens | Breaking News for Black America

2. La Reply

June 20, 2012 at 3:50 am

Really?! They should not have cancelled the shoe? I guess this writer is using Oprah’s Kardashian tactics using ridiculousness to get attention. I guess it worked because I commented on this….See what we can do if we stand against an injustice? Our outcries against this foolishness stopped Adidas!

3. Juan Reply

June 20, 2012 at 8:19 am

No they shouldn’t have cancelled the shoe. The longer we look for reasons to be offended, we will continue to be stagnant as a culture. I’m black and my first reaction was a good one, I thought it was a representation of the consumerist attitude towards material things. An art piece. Which is what I would assume the design and marketing team was expecting from their target market. In addition, Black Americans were not the first nor the last race to be subjected to slavery. It’s time to stop with this hyper-sensitive approach to race relations.

• tita Reply

June 20, 2012 at 11:18 am

It represents not only slavery to me but the prison system, like they are trying to get people used to having shackles on their feet. All around this was a bad idea. An art piece, doubt it, the only people who will buy these shoes for art are those who want to see slaves/prisoners in it.

4. gee Reply

June 20, 2012 at 1:09 pm

NOMALANGA:

Have you LOST YOUR MIND? THE ADIDAS SHACKLE SNEAKER SHOULD’T have been CANCELLED! What is this?REVERSE PSYCHOLOGY? EVERYBODY IS IN AGREEMENT (FOR ONCE)EXCEPT YOU. STOP trying to be DIFFERENT!!

• Nomalanga Reply

June 20, 2012 at 3:17 pm

“Gee”-Did you actually read the article?

5. Mike Reply

June 20, 2012 at 1:11 pm

I agree with you Juan. First off this shoe is $350. There would have been a few consumers here and there that would have bought it in the Black community because they wanted to be exclusive, but has anyone heard of the sub culture of sneaker heads??? This culture sees no color and in fact if you utilize google you can fix a crap load of Asian brothers trying to buy the product as well as other SNEAKERHEADS! We are getting seriously hypersensitive in America because we are sill brainwashed into subjective thinking. If they would have exclusively launched them in Asia then everyone would of said ugly shoe but I get the whole slave to fashion/ slave to Adidas/ sanglers capitalism/ hell even lock down damn d if you wanted…angle. Smh, learn to use both hemispheres. And in case your wondering nope I wouldn’t buy it because I would rather take that to save or invest it but in sure the sneakerhead culture would have loved that.

6. Mike Reply

June 20, 2012 at 1:13 pm

*slave to capitalism…Smh iPhone

7. Pingback: Dr. Boyce: Adidas and the Slave Shoe - How This Kind of Thing Happens | The Yolanda Adams Morning Show

8. Derrick Reply

June 20, 2012 at 4:34 pm

It probably only cost $2-3 dollars to make the shoe overseas, but Blacks were going to spend over $200 for some tennis shoes.

Dwayne Wade was going to endorse a tennis shoe that had writing in arabic on it! All these shoes are targeted at Black people, and they use these athletes, as slaves, to sell their products!

I hope this comment will be posted. Every time I post a moderator has to approve my comments. These Black moderators are worse than caucasian sites that want to keep the Truth from being posted.

WHY ARE BLACK PEOPLE AFRAID OF THE TRUTH BEING POSTED? IS THIS SITE REALLY BLACK OWNED?

9. Pingback: Adidas, and the “Shackle Slave Shoe”: How This Kind of Thing Happens | Destruction of Black Civilization: Great Issues of a Race

10. Pingback: Successful Black Woman » Blog Archive » Why Adidas Should Not Have Cancelled the Shackle Shoe

11. marcus davis Reply

June 26, 2012 at 1:36 pm

Just as well it got taken of the market ,black folks would have been lining up and probably kiling each other to buy them.

12. Pingback: Dr. Boyce: Adidas and the Slave Shoe - How This Kind of Thing Happens | WERE-AM 1490

13. Pingback: Dr. Boyce: Adidas and the Slave Shoe - How This Kind of Thing Happens | My92.7

14. FCCopenhagenvEsbjerglivestream Reply

March 12, 2013 at 8:48 pm

I actually like what you’ve acquired here, really like what you’re stating and the way in which you say it. FC Copenhagen v Esbjerg live stream http://www.tengnidezeren.com/read.php?tid=6388

15. anna Reply

April 21, 2013 at 3:47 pm

I think this is one of the most vital info for me.
    And i am glad reading your article. But wanna remark on some general things,
    The site style is perfect, the articles is really nice :
    D. Good job, cheers

16. Nyc parking coupons Reply

April 27, 2013 at 10:17 pm

Quality articles is the important to attract the people to pay a quick visit the site, that’s what this website is providing.