Stop Blaming Rappers without providing Solutions,What are YOU going to do?

By Dumar Paden

I don’t have to list all the issues hurting our community, especially with regards to our youth. With the countless amounts of books, interviews, cable news specials, and panels surrounding the topic I think by now everyone is pretty much aware, thus creating a very similar narrative around the country.

Ask some (not all) black people about what’s wrong with our youth and you will typically get the following responses:

They need to pull those pants up!

They are lazy!

These kids are rude and out of control!

Blame the rappers; they are the reason why our community is suffering!

Quite frankly I am getting tired of people, who do nothing to try to create solutions, complaining about these issues.  The easy thing to do throughout the years have been to sit back and blame others for various social, academic, and economic issues black youth face in urban communities across the country.

The  most popular focus of blame right now are rappers due to their harmful lyrics, emphasis on material items, disrespectful attitudes towards women and violent imagery, etc.

Listen, I’m not here to defend rappers or hip hop as many of the criticisms against the culture are definitely on point.  Hip Hop has great power and in some cases can influence youth in a negative capacity.

With that said, the honest truth is that most of the problems  the community faces have been here long before rappers have been around. Some people act as if black on black crime, the emphasis on material items, disrespect against women, and usage of the N-Word suddenly appeared once Tupac and Biggie dropped their first albums. I guess rappers are also fully responsible for black unemployment, absentee fathers, domestic violence, and the educational achievement gap as well.

You definitely have your right to criticize rappers, but when you do, make sure you are doing something to help our youth and improve our community.

Do you have solutions?

Do you mentor youth?

Are you an active community participant?

Do you hold youth accountable?

Are you deeply involved in your own child’s life?

These are valid questions I pose to all those that always complain but are never on the front lines to solve problems. It is always easy to complain and make arguments about the same issues over and over again but it is extremely difficult for some to roll up their sleeves and fight to save our children.

We need solution based strategies and we cannot do this alone. Everyone who  is socially aware and has knowledge of self is responsible for ensuring the next generation is empowered and ready to reach their full potential.

Personally, I don’t care if you do not enjoy this commentary because the truth must be told. If you are not currently helping or have positive solutions to assist in solving this crisis, please have a seat and be quiet.

What are you going to do?

15 Responses to Stop Blaming Rappers without providing Solutions,What are YOU going to do?

1. Enough Is Enough Save Our Children Reply

June 25, 2012 at 7:25 pm

HOW HAS GUN VIOLENCE BEEN PROMOTED THROUGH TODAYS MUSIC?
    Some of todays music does promote violence,most of those who use lyrics about “GUNS” in their music,generally are the same artists who are arrested for “GUN” possession. Violent lyrics in music,means big business for most record labels promoting Hip Hop artists,who’s lyrics promote violence.Our youth & young adults today are disillusioned by what they hear in music,that glorifies violence and going to prison.Most of the artists have never been shot or to prison.Artists who are arrested,the charge is commonly weapons and drug possession.The youth today are being setup by the music industry and by other entities.The message in music needs to change.Todays message is kill or be killed.A lot of record companies are profiting from music that promotes “GUN VIOLENCE”,so the question is what do we do to stop it?…………………………NO VIOLENCE-KNOW PEACE!

2. Rodger Reply

June 25, 2012 at 8:30 pm

So because most of the problems have existed in our communities long before negative rappers started disrespecting women & calling them out of their name, it’s OK for them to use their forum to glorify abuse, drugs, guns & violence? If I understand your point, if I’m not fixing the problems I need to shut up & let rappers negatively influence our community. So folks that don’t know how to fix the problem should sit down & BE QUIET! What should negative rappers do? I know, I know … keep makin’ dat money (while they disrespect yo’ mama, sister, daughter & woman)!! I’m not sure how to stop violence in our communities either, but I have enough sense to know it’s wrong — and say it.

3. Lynn Reply

June 26, 2012 at 2:11 am

I think your commentary is somewhat off base. Your premise is that people don’t have the right to speak about the ills that plague the black community, or the ways in which rappers contribute to those ills, unless they have a solution. However, you forget that, sometimes — many times — speaking out IS the solution. Too many people remained quiet while rap music warped the sensibilities of at least two generations of black men. Sometimes, daring to speak up is the very act of resistance that is needed. As Martin Luther King Jr. said, all it takes for evil to prevail is for good people to remain silent. Just because you think people should be doing something in addition to speaking doesn’t make it so. That just happens to be your opinion. And you know what they say about opinions…every body has one.

Personally, I applaud any and every person in the community who has the audacity to call it like they see it, regardless of whether they do anything beyond that. The courage to speak is plenty, at least to me. Don’t be silent or be silenced: your voice is your power, so use it freely, as you choose, to up lift that which you believe in.

• Dumar Paden Reply

June 26, 2012 at 5:27 am

You make very points Lynn about the ability to speak out and not be silent. The power to speak is an important step but it is not a solutions based step in my opinion. In our community we have spoken out and talked for years and many feel that is enough. Dr. King and other faceless civil rights heroes didn’t just speak out. They were behind the scenes creating strategy for positive change. Feel free to speak out and criticize our youth but in the same token we must uplift them and not leave our children for dead. Thanks for your comment.

4. James Reply

June 26, 2012 at 2:49 am

The points raised are valid and should be given some special attention. Just as you are tired of people blaming the rappers, I’m tired of people blaming th President as if he’s responsible all our problems. People; especially educators and scholars are very quick to point out the problems but none of them have ever offered any real solutions. But don’t be so quick to let the Rappers off the hook because they bare a lot of the responsiblity for the way the youth are behaving today. They are the true role models of today’s youth and that is a tragedy in its self.

• Dumar Paden Reply

June 26, 2012 at 5:28 am

You are on the money James, we can not let rappers off the hook. They are definitely part of a larger issue but they are not the only issue.

5. Kim Reply

June 26, 2012 at 2:08 pm

No. Rappers did not creat the problems, but they sure do glorify them. They know that some of the youth are looking up to them. They know that their are young boys and girls who don’t have postive role models in their lives. Why perpetuate the sickness? Why not care? I don’t have a platform like most entertainers. They do have an obligation to their people who are in crisis.

6. Only the beginning Reply

June 28, 2012 at 12:45 am

Many times, speaking out and encouraging dialogue is the first step to creating strategy. First, people must be aware and educated on the problem. Second, people become angry about the problem. And in step three, strategy and action evolve out of the anger.

But if you tell people to be quiet, you are almost part of the problem. I bet that great leaders did not immediately know what to do. But I bet conversation and discussion inspired great ideas for change.

7. d-rhyme Reply

July 19, 2012 at 4:44 pm

Who started the profit over people? Rappers? . Hardly. You blame rappers cause you too scared to say who created this godless materialistic system. Sad.

8. Cameleon Stranger Reply

August 5, 2012 at 11:24 pm

I grew up with hiphop and rap culture, Im white but not that that mean anything, but it was the racism I received being white within this culture that had me decide to leave, …I mean I dont care what color you may have or not have on your skin but after hearing “kill me a cracker” again and again through hiphop tunes you get pretty much over it after a while, so not only did I leave hip hop but understand that all the way from rap classics to nowadays rap culture, its a detrimental culture, a non loving culture in its grander scale and promotes hate. It started as poor mans music, but so did soul music, just that rap is the aggressive and ignorant and disrespectful way of channeling anger and hate through music, soul was the way of turning bad times into love and trying to rebuild love, something rap and hiphop fails to do, or if a rapper tries to rap about love it will be ridiculed as “gay” or not kool etc.. Rappers are in a culture where hate and F U attitude is the norm. Every culture has a norm and a set of “rules” and hiphop rules are detrimental and thats why I left it. Not easy to see this before youve been there and then left it but its overwhelmingly obvious, then looking at the culture in perspective its a mix of total shit and please dont make excuses because you know it is. HIP HOP CREATES NOTHING! and it doesnt just pollute and hold back the black society, but whites and japanese and all walks of life getting pulled into this crap culture now get polluted with these horrible street attitudes. I dont regret growing up in hiphop and I still am hiphop to an extent today, adn hiphop is a reflection of an attitude towards life we definitly should not promote but learn to exchange for more positivity.
    But luckily I just turned off the music completely, its detrimental,
    not even Rakim and Easy E or even 2pac was any type of positive change, thats all jibberish,
    no rapper created shit! if anything they create unemployment and helps fill up prisons for all the youth looking up to these rapper icons trying to meet the street cred image, not knowing that its a lost call, even if they became a rapper, they would die as a loser, representing
    a loser culture. The day hiphop is wiped off the planet earth no one will suffer a great loss,
    its simply a shitty crappy detrimental culture
    where aggressive and disrespectful attitudes are promoted.
    Go to hell hiphop, and thanks for almost managing ruining my life, but I got out in time,
    from your slimy crap. Hip Hop creates nothing but it sure can destroy a whole nation, just go to any local poor neighbourhood and you will see, feel and breathe and hear the horrible culture that hiphop stimulates and promotes in live action, and it’s how you dance and react to the music that makes it powerful or not, but many takes hiphop and rap morals and codes serious and actually seriously lives the rapper/hiphop life to the fullest, and its a lost alley, with no returns. A new youth culture is needed, anything better than this, just make sure it promotes love and constructive attitudes.
    Im not saying bring Flower Power back, but honestly that was better. Hip Hop/Rap is like a cancer for society.

9. andre harmon-young Reply

November 25, 2012 at 3:10 am

There are many of us, who have solutions. However, nobody will listen or assist in developing plans of action. We have been too busy being integrationists, to do for self.

10. brutha bill Reply

January 17, 2013 at 7:42 pm

Of course all of you have been awesomely on point.I say of course because each of you sound connected to the umbilical cord of the original true black spirit.
    I am a cabinetmaker and i build custom cabinets to fit different criteria,
    space,function and aesthetics).I have found over the years that my craft enables me to recognize,analyze,visualize,design,compute and execute
    solutions to each challenge that arrives. This process of thinking is acquired
    and developed over time and becomes the mindset that automatically kicks
    in, in any situation. This is the process of positive creative thought and can be taught to anyone ,including negative rappers and the like.
    Over the past 30 years I have used my craft to inspire and influence many
    endangered young black males.Out of all my efforts I never once found even one who wanted to be a failure.I did run into several who were reluctant to try at first because of not wanting others to see them fail.Just mentioning this to show the need for custom solutions as no one size fits all,but they all can wear shoes.
    I had my first kid when I was 18 and my girlfriend was 16(sounds familiar ,huh ? )We got married the next year and ended up having 3 sons that we
    learned how to raise into positive black men.My wife and I are still married after 38 years and have helped raise one niece and two nephews including
    one blue-eyed nephew.In other words I have a bunch of ideas that came to me in my long journey of parenting that I wan’t to share with others .I got
    this thing all figured out.I watched the degeneration of the four generations.
    I was a baby boomer and my sons generation was the LOST GENERATION
    that was the bye-product of cheap (FREE) love,that wasn’t even love at all
    and that was where the race slipped down hill.In order to fix the problem
    we have to reclaim the lost generation and pay our reparations to them for abandonment !!! That is how we can get back on track.And then we need
    to GIVE each black male a TRADE to BE A MAN,to be able to survive with or without a boss (master).This works every time on every troubled black
    male that I have rescued and we can turn them all around if we work
    together..

11. brutha bill Reply

January 17, 2013 at 7:42 pm

I am a cabinetmaker and i build custom cabinets to fit different criteria,
    solutions to each challenge that arrives. This process of thinking is acquired
    and developed over time and becomes the mindset that automatically kicks
    Over the past 30 years I have used my craft to inspire and influence many
    this thing all figured out.I watched the degeneration of the four generations.
    I was a baby boomer and my sons generation was the LOST GENERATION
    that was the bye-product of cheap (FREE) love,that wasn’t even love at all
    and that was where the race slipped down hill.In order to fix the problem
    male that I have rescued and we can turn them all around if we work
    together..

12. brutha bill Reply

January 17, 2013 at 7:42 pm

I am a cabinetmaker and i build custom cabinets to fit different criteria,
    solutions to each challenge that arrives. This process of thinking is acquired
    and developed over time and becomes the mindset that automatically kicks
    Over the past 30 years I have used my craft to inspire and influence many
    this thing all figured out.I watched the degeneration of the four generations.
    I was a baby boomer and my sons generation was the LOST GENERATION
    that was the bye-product of cheap (FREE) love,that wasn’t even love at all
    and that was where the race slipped down hill.In order to fix the problem
    male that I have rescued and we can turn them all around if we work
    together..

13. make beats on computer Reply

March 6, 2013 at 6:03 am

Being a beat maker does mean you’ll have to spend money on music equipment and have a vast selection of samples and effects. You’d
    be surprised at how many chart topping hits have been made on programs that cost less than $50, and
    that’s no exaggeration.