College Educated Black Woman Living in a Garbage Can

For the past three years and two months, I have resided in a garbage can. The smells of old garbage, urine, and human funk permeate the air of my surroundings, and stray cats yowl in the middle of the night. The garbage can where I live actually has a name and it is Parkway Gardens Apartments, a federally subsidized low-income housing unit on the South Side of Chicago.

How did a college educated individual like me end up living in a garbage can? After getting laid-off in August of 2007 from my job as an administrative assistant, it seemed like the Furies of Greek mythology were after me. Other than temp work, I could not find a job, full or part-time, and I could not afford the rent at my previous residence. I decided to look on the Department of Housing and Urban Development’s (HUD) website for subsidized housing.

This is my second stint in subsidized housing. The first stint was from 2002 to 2007. During that time, I went to college, received a Bachelor’s degree and maintained a 3.6 average, obtained a full-time job and my eldest daughter graduated from high school with a 4.2 grade point average, and then I moved. While receiving help from the government, a multitude of men did not live with me, nor did I have any more children, the stereotypical things that those poor, trifling black single mothers who receive government assistance are supposed to do. There is a concept amongst the common consensus that low-income housing is not supposed to be permanent, but rather a stepping stone to a better life and that is true. However, I did exactly what society told me to do (bettered myself and my children) and I almost ended up homeless. I was faced with the choice of residing in a shelter or Parkway Gardens, and I chose Parkway.

I have resided in some real flophouses during my lifetime but Parkway Gardens takes the cake. As a native South Sider, I have known about Parkway Gardens my entire life, but one has to live here to understand the madness that is Parkway. The stuff that goes on in Parkway is unbelievable, considering that it is right down the street from the University of Chicago. Drug dealing, gang-banging, whoring – everything goes in Parkway Gardens! The filth is insidious and pervasive; the kind that follows you because no matter how hard you clean your apartment, the smell is there. At least it is to me. My son says that our apartment is fine but I am so paranoid, it is ridiculous.

But this story is not about me, but about how HUD is the biggest slumlord in the United States. There is no accountability for the owners of the properties that HUD gives monies to for rent payments. These owners are receiving millions of dollars from the government but put very little of said money into the general maintenance of the properties, leaving people to live in abject squalor at the taxpayers’ expense.

I have called the multihousing unit hotline number that HUD has on its website, several times, to complain, but I was told that HUD has nothing to do with the upkeep; all they do is pay the rent. It is up to the owners and property management to take care of everything. I just want to know what stupid individual came up with the idea to take accountability from HUD and give it to the property owners who just want to make a buck.

The Tea Partiers and the Republicans are constantly carrying on about government waste and trying to slash Medicare and Medicaid, but they need to look into the budget for the Department of Housing and Urban Development because millions of dollars are going to waste. And by the way, Parkway Gardens Apartments was sold for forty million dollars last year. Yes, forty million dollars for a 694 unit garbage can that houses over one thousand people. It is also rumored that Parkway makes over eight million dollars a year from rental subsidies, all thanks to the largesse of HUD. Rather than looking for ways to cut and divert our attention to systems and programs that, while not always perfect, provide a benefit for the public good and well-being, politicians should actually take a closer examination of programs and systems (e.g. HUD) that need to either be amended or gentrified or the management carved and served in time for Thanksgiving.

41 Responses to College Educated Black Woman Living in a Garbage Can

1. David2001 Reply

June 13, 2012 at 9:50 pm

I’m sure people are not going to want to hear this but I have a great ideal how to solve her problem. Since this woman wasn’t working and I’m sure others living there weren’t either why didn’t they just get together and clean it themselves. Sounds to me like some cheap dollar store disinfect and trash bags would have solve the problem. After all who exactly is causing this problem..the residents themselves! This is where they live whether they own it or not. She didn’t care any more than HUD did. You have to have some respect for where you live regardless of ownership. Since you are not working clean it yourself.

• Ruby from NJ Reply

June 14, 2012 at 6:27 pm

David2001, please re-read Ms. Henry’s blog. She wrote that “no matter how hard you clean, the smell is still there.” The smell gets in your head; it’s in the air all around the building. Give her some credit and don’t be so mean. I give her a gold star because she didn’t produce another child from some one who was not the father of her first child, and there was no parade of men going in and out of her apartment. Keep the faith, Ms. Henry; things will get better. I’m rooting for you.

• Desmond Marshall Reply

June 14, 2012 at 7:04 pm

@ David2001, I agree with you I work as an Onsite Property Manager and I am constantly cleaning up after the residents who liter on the property. I ask them the same thing “why are you trashing the place where you live” and the funny thing is the residents get mad at me. I like to take matters in my own hands I HATE to ask for help, or hand outs.

• ohsotrue Reply

March 8, 2013 at 1:16 pm

David2001 spoken like the true honkey you are. I love whenevents like Sept. 11th and Newton Connecticut happen then you get to feel a tad bit of what african americans go thru on a daily basis. I am college educated and have gotten laid off more than I would like to remember. This has an affect on housing, savings, and a host of other things. While as I have seen white counterparts with half the intelligence of a dodo bird move on to managment, Directors etc. etc. It is sickening. There is a law that prohibits not hiring people of all races, creeds, color etc. but not one that will foster our growth and keep us there….genius.

2. Kathy Henry Reply

June 13, 2012 at 9:52 pm

Why should I clean up behind these nasty motherfuckers? I keep my space clean and what is the purpose of having janitors? But they are too busy having sex with the female tenants to do their job.

• David2001 Reply

June 13, 2012 at 10:06 pm

This is the way a “educated” black woman responds?? No wonder you’re living there..that’s exactly where you belong. IMO you have the same mentality of the “trifling black single mothers” you criticize.

• FP Jenkins Reply

June 14, 2012 at 2:53 pm

I am so ashamed of you, Its unreal! It’s hard to imagine someone of your mentality, or lack thereof, existing. WHAT WOULD GOD DO??

• jackie Reply

June 13, 2012 at 11:53 pm

hey Kathy I wish u the best, its so unfortunate, that u have to live like that, but more importantly, people juding you, for what is a reality for a lot of people, continue to stay true to ur self and faithful, things do change!!

• Teshia Reply

June 14, 2012 at 1:32 pm

I agree Jackie, there is a difference between those having an opinion and being opinionated… some of these people that are being judgmental towards Ms. Henry are the latter. I only hope they never have to walk even a third of a mile in her shoes… they wouldn’t survive.

• Reneegede Reply

June 14, 2012 at 11:19 am

Kathy:

I know exactly what you are talking about. But I graduated with a 4.0 GPA and am now living on the streets of Phoenix AZ sleeping amongst the living dead.

They spit, cough, and throw up all over the place; and grunt and carry on like animals in a cage because that’s exactly how they are treated. The homeless shelter here in Phoenix actually pens these human beings up in a place that is next door to a livestock barn. Seriously.

Jan Brewer points her finger in the president’s face, and talks about “illegals,” but she can’t even manage to get her own state’s homeless people off the streets and working, or at least in a humanly decent position for the ones who cannot work.

I am out here with drunks, drug addicts, narcs, jailbirds and ex-cons, and even military veterans who fought for America and came home to nothing. I’ve never been a drug addict in my life, or a drunk; and I never in my life thought I’d end up where I am.

I worked too hard to end up like this. Thirty eight years of a working life and work ethic gone down the drain like it was nothing but a wasted effort.

When I had to scrub my way out before, though, I kept my place so spotless that folks would come in my door and say “It’s like walking into another world.” They could not understand how I kept it so spotless with four boys in tow all day. I had rules: He who junks up must clean up at the end of the day.

You have no obligation to clean up after nasty-arse grown folks. I don’t blame you. I got stuck in those nasty rehab facilities with druggies, most of them white–because I had no place else to go; and was told I had to clean up after those trashy heifers. I refused.

Anyhoo … I finished college, thought I was on my way and set for life, and bam … here comes Ronald Reagan’s sloppy seconds, George Bush, and the whole economy gets turned topsy-turvy, as well as I find out that one of Reagan’s deregulated FOR PROFIT schools ripped off a bunch of black women for student loans that they never got the use or benefit of. They went on vacation to Rio and we got stuck holding their bills.

And the racism I had to go through just to get a piece of sh&^% job in Georgia? Un-friggin-believable.

I discovered that the vast difference between racism in the east and south is that black folks let whites draw lines around them and keep them in place; and they get in those lines and stay there and learn to love it. It’s all business for them, so that’s why we get the low-paying penny ante jobs, even after getting college degrees. I worked at a law firm where blacks in there with law degrees were in the word processing department on the bottom floor, and only three black attorneys on staff.

The white ones would only be down there three to six months, tops. The black ones had been there for years and knew they weren’t going anywhere unless the firm needed another “colored stand-in” to front their affirmative action quotas; so yes, we go to college for ANYTHING, we end up being “secretaries” regardless — and not even the higher paid ones at that.

The black lawyers knew where they were headed at that law firm, and one day, they all literally walked out. That firm has not hired any more black lawyers to this day.

In the north and west … black folks fight back, and that kind of racism becomes not just business redlining, but pure hatred as well.

It’s gonna take Pres Obama at least four more terms to fix 156 years of economic trauma for the whole country … and black folks can’t do anything but go along for the ride. But maybe America is tired of playing the forgiving abused woman to the Republican Party and is finally going to get up and start fighting back.

Don’t argue with these idiots, Kathy.

White folks like to send operatives in disguised as black folks or they find willing blacks to come into forums like these on YBW and cause dissension between black folks just to keep up their methodology of “divide and conquer.”

There are too many black women out here who know what you are going through to have a digital online fight with a bunch of clueless idiots.

• Teshia Reply

June 14, 2012 at 1:36 pm

WELL SAID!!!!!! I pray everything in your word has gotten better sister!!!

• David2001 Reply

June 14, 2012 at 3:07 pm

“There are too many black women out here who know what you are going through to have a digital online fight with a bunch of clueless idiots”

@Reneegede

The only clueless idiot in here is YOU and this woman. It’s time for black women and people in general to take responsibility for “what they are going through”. Most working people don’t have the privilege that this ungrateful nut and her fellow dirty residents have and don’t appreciate. That privilege is low cost housing. Nobody owes you that idiot.

This is the same lazy irresponsible ignorant mentality that they pass down to their children that’s turned whole neighborhoods into cesspools. This is the reason no one living there feels any responsibility to help clean the mess that they and their children created.

There is a old saying you reap what you sow. Unfortunately far too many people on government programs are use to being coddled and taken care of. They created this mess NOT the government.

I work and pay taxes but I still get my broom and help clean the streets. Many people belong to town watch groups to help police even though it’s not their job.
        I remember growing up in the ghetto of North Philadelphia in the 60s. My mother and father but mainly my mother made me go out and clean up an empty lot on the other side of our backyard full of trash bottles. When I asked her why she simple stated I don’t like looking at it or smelling it. My father would make me clean the ally way behind our house even though it was the city responsibility. You can say I’m judging but these are the values that I and most responsible sane thinking people at one time in this country were raised with. Unfortunately welfare and government handouts ended that for a lot of people.

TAKE RESPONSIBILITY WHETHER IT’S YOUR JOB OR NOT. That’s NOT judging that’s common sense and self respect. It laughable to criticize me and others for “judging” but the first thing this nasty woman stated was to call her fellow single black mothers “trifling black single mothers” AND “m*therf*ckers”. You can’t get any more judgmental and idiotic than that! That’s a case of the pot calling the kettle black. If she had spent a fraction of the energy and time complaining to HUD towards cleaning her own environment she wouldn’t have a problem. At some point you have to look in the mirror at yourselves. True the government may be failing but the residents created the problem. The government provided you (thanks to taxpayers) with a low cost place to live. YOU are the ones through your apathy turned it into a garbage can.

• Kathy Henry Reply

June 14, 2012 at 3:22 pm

First of all I did not refer to single Black mothers as trifling. That would be stupid considering that I am one too. I was being sarcastic because those stereotypes exist about single Black mothers who reside in low income housing, that we are a bunch of freeloaders, living good, eating lobster and shrimp at the government’s expense. Second, the article is about HUD and how property owners who receive HUD payments have no accountability for the monies they receive. YOUR tax dollars are funding these slum landlords and instead of being riled up about that, you attack me. I have been living in Parkway Gardens for three years and it is not my job to clean up after tenants and their children who destroy the property. If management did a better job of screening the tenants, these problems would not exist. Currently, Parkway is under new management and a new elevator was placed in my building. The very first day, the children broke it by playing on it. Was I supposed to fix the elevator too?

• Gloria Reply

June 17, 2012 at 4:48 am

Kathy, I agree and support you 1000% percent. I live in Altgeld Gardens and this is a hell hole. This is my first experience in public housing anywhere in the world and never again I hope once I’m out. I need to network with you and maybe you can advise me on some issues I have been dealing with please email me.

3. Kathy Henry Reply

June 13, 2012 at 10:15 pm

You have the mentality of a judgmental, over-privileged twit with too much time on your hands. So according to you, I am supposed to spend my little income that I do receive on the the upkeep of an apartment complex whose janitors make 15.00 per hour to do absolutely nothing. Your mentality is really fucked up and until you have walked in my shoes, you really cannot judge me. It is easy to talk shit to someone via the Internet.

4. olivia Reply

June 14, 2012 at 2:43 am

This woman attended college to be a secretary?? Are you kidding me? And she’s upset about her funky dwelling. This is priceless!!

5. Kathy Henry Reply

June 14, 2012 at 2:46 am

I attended college to educated. I graduated from Roosevelt University with a Bachelor’s degree in Sociology with a 3.6 grade point average. What are your accomplishments?

• David2001 Reply

June 14, 2012 at 3:13 pm

I guess one accomplishment would be NOT living in a garbage can. All you prove by talking about your education is that being educated doesn’t always make you smart.

• Ruby from NJ Reply

June 14, 2012 at 6:40 pm

David2001, do you know what a metaphor is? “Living in a garbage can” is one. A metaphor is the comparison of two unlike things in which the qualities of one are given to the other. The squalor of the housing that Ms Henry was forced to live in was comparable to a garbage can, with its stench and actual garbage strewn around. I see that you can read words but not comprehend the meanings.

• olivia Reply

June 15, 2012 at 12:45 am

I sure as hell ain’t wasting my money attending some assimilationist college that teaches me how to work for the white man. Oh, and by the way, I own my own home. Yeah, living in a trash can. Who are you Oscar the grouch, and how’s that working out for ya?

6. ccmyplaymate Reply

June 14, 2012 at 8:34 am

the trend of many Americans to blame the victim for what is clearly structural discrimination at its worse is really deplorable. All of these judgmental fools will soon enough see the reality that the American dream has and always will be a facade only meant for a lucky few. I attended my sisters graduation this past week to learn that this spring 3000 graduates would be entering a non-existent job market. Naturally, we must expect that there are many more voices like Ms. Henry’s. Rather than blaming this woman for her honesty about her reality we should all support and take heed for what is an inevitable outcome of capitalism, individualism and the dehumanization of the have nots.

• David2001 Reply

June 14, 2012 at 3:37 pm

@ccmyplaymate. This woman is NOT a victim. Regardless of whose responsible for cleaning NO ONE is preventing this woman and her fellow residents from cleaning the mess that THEY made. That’s not blame that’s taking responsibility. That’s the honesty that she and others on here defending her don’t want to hear. I’m not blaming her for the mess but I simply don’t have any sympathy for people not working too lazy to clean up after themselves.

She keeps talking about how educated she is as if to say she’s some how better than her fellow residents or as she calls them…“trifling black single mothers” AND “m*therf*ckers” she lives around.

• dontgotothefemacamp Reply

June 14, 2012 at 10:41 pm

What a ridiculous obvious plant this fool is. Preachy, condescending and comfortable. Weak haughty white man who wouldn’t last a day w/ his credit cards.Yawn.
        Your soft life and easy lies are typical troll network stuff… NOBODY w/common sense and honest BELIEVES YOU HERE. This woman is a miracle in progress.you are a snake.
        You’d probably slit your wrists After half of what she’s been through!

• GemGirl Reply

June 14, 2012 at 9:43 pm

ccmyplaymate, very well said. There are systemic problems and oppression of the masses is built into the American political, social and economic systems. Many of us are finding that you can work really hard, have good values and ethics, get college-educated and still end up poor. We already see that many of those who are rich (except true entrepreneurs) actually have not earned their millions — they “gamed” the system and wrote their own checks, at the expense of the rest of us. The greedy will always want to hoarde resources rather than share with fellow citizens. Our systems must be changed at a fundamental level, to be inclusive not exclusive.

7. olivia Reply

June 14, 2012 at 9:29 am

oh yeah, how’s that working out for ya??? At least I didn’t waste my money at some assimilation indoctrinated college that trains me to behave like a house nigga, and for the record,miss thang, at least I own my own house!

8. Kathy Henry Reply

June 14, 2012 at 1:26 pm

So you say. Anybody can be anything they want online.

• Teshia Reply

June 14, 2012 at 1:40 pm

“Ain’t” that the truth!!!! Ms. Henry, keep speaking the truth… ignorant people don’t like to hear it and consider themselves above circumstances like yours, but it is those same individuals that in the end will need guidance and assurance from someone like you… people should be careful what they say or how they judge…

• olivia Reply

June 15, 2012 at 12:51 am

some black women are so damn proud and don’t even have a pot to piss in. Hey, I got an idea why don’t you run down to the church and pray to your fake ass god; I’m sure that pimp preacher will be glad to take your money. Some black women are their own worse enemies!

9. Kathy Henry Reply

June 14, 2012 at 1:44 pm

Thank you Ms Teshia. I normally do not argue with fools but these idiots got to me, particularly the female. Sisters supposed to stick together but some of us are so brainwashed we cannot help ourselves.

10. Helen Reply

June 14, 2012 at 2:12 pm

Kathy,
    I respect everything you said until I read your replys. Only thing you need to clean-up is your mouth. How will some one respect you when you don’t even respect your-self. If I was in a position to offer you a well paying job, I wouldn’t because of your filthy mouth.You are what you speak (TRASH) Need I say more.Check your-self if you want people to take you seriously. Just because you live in Filth, you don’t need to act like you’re filthy. I will be praying for you. I’m not judging you I’m speaking to you as another woman, who would not let my circumstances turn me into a filthy person.

• Barbara Reply

June 15, 2012 at 12:44 am

I was so in agreement with you Kathy; until you started spouting filthy words. You need to clean up your Potty Mouth. Using foul language makes you look bad.

Still, I’m praying your situation will change for the better. Peace and love sister.

11. WARREN Reply

June 14, 2012 at 5:45 pm

Homeless people on the street, would think her conditions are a palace. And even her son even think its fine. I don’t know if this is her situation but some are use not grateful for anything because of their various complexes or possible neuroses. Or perhaps her visions of her self are way out there!

Personally, I was shocked to hear she was speaking
    of the Parkway Garden, which I am very familiar with.

I was a police officer in the area several years back. and now the ‘projects’, high rises, were just a mile away. But that was the hell hole, and real crime den, The ‘project’ occupants would cut off an arm to live in the Parkway.

Another thing, the government is getting out of
    the subsidized housing business as fast as they can; they took down the high rises and are now tearing down the low rises, even a mile from there

And if they have the encouragement from the likes
    of this writer, it probably will occur sooner than
    later. So, what is the prayer, for your fellow
    tennants that needs and appreciates a home over their heads.

And lastly, I see that Ms Henry, who claims it’s a garbage can, is answering every single comment that doesn’t support her. So to her
    I just want to say relax and peace!

and I do pray that you find housing and prosperity
    worthy of your vision and all God’s children

I only wish you, and all here, Love and Peace!

• Ruby from NJ Reply

June 14, 2012 at 6:51 pm

Warren, spare us your psychological diagnoses of other people’s behavior. I can tell from the way you express yourself that you have no training in either psychology or psychiatry, so please talk about what you do know. And some people would give an arm to live in Parkway? Any place would be preferable to sleeping on the streets in all kinds of weather. That does not mean that Parkway is an acceptable place.

12. Renee Reply

June 14, 2012 at 7:11 pm

@Kathy

Fools like David2001 will never get it. Like you stated in an earlier post, they are an over privilege twit who never walked in your shoes. No matter what you say or how you present the scenerio and facts, they will ALWAYS blame you. It is how the mind of a privilege person is program to work. The sense of entitlement among people like David2001 is frightening, but quite powerful because it feeds into their ignorance and lack of education of other people they don’t know, who don’t look like them, and/or have the same access to a lifestyle and job system that is currently foreign to so many individuals who are in the same situation as yourself. It’s not that he doesn’t understand. The fact is he refuse to understand it because it contradicts the BS fed to him on a daily basis. This message board is nothing more but entertainment to people like David2001 to see how many black people they can piss off. They want to showcase this sense of “intellectual superiority” by belittling and patronizing your perspective using sarcasm, all the while snickering behind their computer screen. And you should never entertain people like that because in the end David2001 looks like an ignorant, uneducated, low class imbecile.

• David2001 Reply

June 15, 2012 at 11:21 pm

People try to define the word ghetto. All they have to do is read this woman’s story and those idiots in here like Renee, dontgotothefemacamp, FP Jenkins and others defending her. Somehow it doesn’t offend you that this so call educated woman is calling her fellow residents “trifling black single mothers” AND “m*ther f*ckers”. Yet I’m being called the ignorant one???

Local and federal government services are being cut back EVERYWHERE. Why would any sane thinking black person get upset when I say that people especially unemployed people should help clean their neighborhood.

You can try to insult me all you want. The bottom line is if this so call educated black woman and others in that housing development were to get off their unemployed asses and clean they wouldn’t have a problem. I would bet the negative reaction in here is coming mainly from black women, probably career babymomma’s. It’s the same reaction you get from these career babymomma’s when you criticize them for their failure to raise their children. Children I might add that are creating most of the problems associated with housing developments.

I’m not a white man. I’m not a plant. I’ve been commenting on yourblackworld since this blog started. I’m a 54 year old black man who grew up in the ghetto of North Philly. I don’t live in North Philly anymore because there were too many people like this so call educated woman, her defenders and their bad unsupervised children who didn’t want to take responsibility for themselves.

What’s happen to black people particularly black women that saying to take responsibility for your own environment is considered ignorant? I think if this story were written by a black man and I made the same comment these same angry embittered black babymomma’s on here wouldn’t be defending this sort of laziness and ignorance. This is my last comment. Ya’ll can enjoy living in the “garbage can” you made for yourself. Keep waiting for the government or some white liberal to come to the recuse.

13. Alisha Reply

June 21, 2012 at 6:24 am

@ZenMamaPolitic

Kathy, I commend you. First of all..the problem lies within the outer layer in demonizing Black women, and in particular..Black mothers. We are not valued for our work; or for raising our children successfully as women who are privileged by marriage; or another race. In fact; we are expected to achieve both financial and educational achievements alone; with virtually no praise. Meanwhile White Privilege is granted to others who easily gain these same ‘rights of passage’ in other comunities. I am a single mother, now..own my own home, and have experienced discrimination regardless of the situation. Believe it or not Patriarchal married couples, Black Men,and White Men are more intimidated by single Black women than ever. And on top of that..they jealousy attempt to use their privilege against you. Gaining financial Independance is not what defines any us. Everyone does the best that they can. We should never let others exploit us, just simply because we do not have the same income. I am confident that there will be new equality laws in the future; esp. since we are well within the majority..over 68% as Black single mothers. And these new laws will stop both discrimination, and unequal distribution of wealth in its tracks. In other words, it is always helpful to remember that..’We are the same as those privileged folk…and in many ways, much better. Never Forget That. Never.’

14. lilkunta Reply

June 28, 2012 at 5:35 am

kathy this is terrible.
    I think HUd doesnt regualte the upkeep/cleaning bc the govt is already too big. But definitely as a condition of receiving subsidies the landlords HAVE to maintain the complex.

do you have a video camera?
    record the conditions of your apt complex.
    record the tenants littering, smoking, drinking, cursing, etc.
    send this video to all your local news channels.
    send this video to nbc’s dateline, abc’s 20 20, and cbs’s 60 minutes. get local and national attn so then the HUD will put pressure on your landlord.

15. Chris Robert Reply

August 29, 2012 at 3:19 pm

Before black women even think about complaining about housing they need to look to see how many men single men that are minorities especially black men have access to public housing.

In my 35 years alive I do not know of a single men that can have access to public housing unless he is dyig of aids . You have to be literally dying of aids of have to live in a shelter with a bunch of men its better to be dead of spend life in prison than to live like that.

Housing discrimnation towards black men is a human rights issue. We have men with degrees out here that have attended prestigious universities and live with mom and dad they can not ever get access to public housing.

I used to pick up a vet to take to school daily out of his clothes came out hundreds of ants he was exposed to the elements and had a monthly paycheck that was enough to live their . How many vets are gaining access to housing. believe women with kids should get access to housing but what about our men men make up almost the entire homeless population many of us work 10 times harder than the average person and we are expected to bring the money to the table on wages that are from the early 80′s. It no wonder why black men are becoming gay their women are getting housign and they have now been made to be utterly worthless.

• Pamela Reply

September 15, 2012 at 10:29 pm

Single women of all races without children and without disabilities or alcohol or drug addictions also have one hell of a hard time getting into subsidized housing, not just single childless men. Even domestic violence shelters in most states won’t accept childless women, because there have been so many cutbacks in the “welfare” system that since there’s no “welfare” for the childless, shelters turn them away because there’s no available source of funding for their stay and without jobs, there’s no way whatsoever to pay for their stay. There’s also no way to get fast-tracked into things like Section 8 whereby you’d have the choice of where to live, and as such choose to live in a halfway decent area and not the total slums, if you’re single and childless. Even being a victim of domestic violence doesn’t cut it.

Men aren’t the only ones discriminated against in the subsidized “one step from homelessness” housing market.

16. Nesha Reply

October 28, 2012 at 1:31 am

I myself lived in Parkway for 5years and im a single mom myself and thr smell is terrible people pee on elevators I even caught people peeing in hallway by people back door…i prayed so hard and cried everyday my children are little and couldnt play outside I was caught in shooting walking in there with my children…i was so determined that first chance I got I was out of there 03/09/2012 I will never forget the day I moved…and Im praying for you too Ms Henry cause I lived there and I know what go on…6356 my building was one the nastiest buildings

17. Tyra2008 Reply

March 12, 2013 at 1:59 am

I lived in 6364 and trust me when I say, somebody is worse off than you! The government is a large organization that can’t watch any and everything, including the cleaning! My grandmother and several other women whom resided in the infamous Robert Taylor homes in the 60′s and 70′s would sweep and mop the galleries back then, so what’s wrong with residents cleaning up now? Furthermore, if it bothers you that much, maybe you should contact the President, Ms. Regules and become a building captain! That way when you see people throwing trash around, you report it, and they’ll get fined! I used to sweep my hallways all the time, so did my neighbors! Team work make the dream work!