by Dr. Boyce Watkins

I am not one to presume that the New York Association of Black Journalists were off-base by giving a writing award to Beyonce Knowles. While I am sure there are other professional writers who thought they might be considered for the award, we can’t assume that the woman who has sold millions of albums, toured the world non-stop for the last decade, been featured in multiple films and made thousands of appearances doesn’t have the ability to be an award-winning journalist in her spare time.

Here are some questions I’d like to ask the NYABJ about their decision to position Beyonce for the next Pulitzer Prize:

1)      Did you see Beyonce’s open letter to Michelle Obama?  Do you really think that the same person wrote both of these articles?  The first sentence of Beyonce’s letter says, “Michelle is the ULTIMATE example of a truly strong African American women.”  Is she writing TO Michelle or writing ABOUT Michelle?  What in the hell is a “truly strong African American women?”  I’m not trying to be a hater, but I just had to ask.

2)      Would Beyonce have gotten this award had she been a regular citizen and not a celebrity?  Only you know the answer to that question.  What about a regular citizen who didn’t even go to college?  Sorry, I’ll stop, since the college reference might make me sound like a snob.  But I can’t help but think that taking more writing classes might make you into a better writer, the same way that I’m sure that rehearsing every single day for years made Beyonce into a better performer.  I doubt that a journalist could do what Beyonce does by shaking their booty just once a month.

3)      You’re really convinced that a person who wrote one article, for one magazine, one time is better than every black professional writer in the country who does this every single day for a living?  Perhaps those bums need to step their games up.

4)      What’s in it for you?  Many organizations give false awards to celebrities just to get them to show up for their events.  The appearance of the celebrity grants publicity and instant credibility to the event.  In this case, the strategy appears to have backfired.

5)      What’s the procedure and who voted to give Beyonce this award?  Did the entire organizational body vote for Beyonce or were all voting privileges given to a select group of people in a private meeting?  Yes, that does make a difference.

I’ll admit that I’m a bit skeptical about the decision to give Beyonce an award for her outstanding journalism.  With all the celebrities, civil rights leaders and everything else hijacking the territory once occupied by real journalists (no, I do not consider myself to be a professionally-trained journalist – I am a scholar, blogger and social commentator), one can hope that there can be a space that remains sacred and above the influence of peer pressure.   But then again, perhaps next year, the Grammys will return the favor and give Album of the Year to Ed Gordon.

Dr. Boyce Watkins is a Professor at Syracuse University and author of the forthcoming book, “The RAPP Sheet: Rising Above Psychological Poison.” To have Dr. Boyce commentary delivered to your email, please click here.

77 Responses to New York Association of Black Journalists Criticized for Giving Beyonce a Writing Award

1. sandra mungin Reply

May 6, 2012 at 6:51 pm

Sorry but I ve been wondering the same thing??? Something doesn t add up…

I think we missed the boat on this one.

2. Mz Honee Brown Reply

May 6, 2012 at 7:01 pm

It was a very inconsiderate and obvious juvenile decision to present the award to Ms. Knowles. Beyonce is known for stealing a plethora of literature and fashion styles. For all we known, she is being appreciated once again for another’s creativity.

3. BlackBeauty Reply

May 6, 2012 at 7:05 pm

PLEASE!!!

Criticized by whom???

Here you go again with a petty commentary!

If they chose Bey for the letter she wrote to Michelle, why in the world would you or anyone else have an issue/problem with it?

Feather your nest and stop with the crabs in a bucket mentality.

• Expect More Reply

May 7, 2012 at 5:09 am

Wow!

The reason people, especially real journalists, would have an issue or problem with this is because being a journalist is a skill that people study for, strive to excel in and be recognized by their peers and associations.

Beyonce is a singer, dancer, actress and many other things, but a journalist she is not! It offends real journalists to have her not only given the title that they have worked for, but to be recognized for a letter (she definitely wrote) and an article (she probably didn’t write). The difference is obvious. I hope this clears things up for you.

• Lena Willis Reply

May 7, 2012 at 9:08 am

The award was not for Beyonce’s open letter to Michelle Obama, it was for an Essence article.

While a fan of hers, I think this award was given for the wrong reasons. It’s a slap in the face for those that have worked and perfected the craft in hopes of getting this honor one day.

• fig newton Reply

May 7, 2012 at 3:20 pm

Journalism requires a lot of reading, and even more writing. Journalist work very hard in classes so that they can get the credentials worthy of public attention. If you were to go through the many hours of studying, reading, and trials that these scholars have to go through, you would understand why a rump shaker should not get a prestigous award for scribbling a note to the wife of the President of the United States. The note was poorly written and not in the proper form to address the most powerful woman in the United States. Anyone with a journalism background would have been formal because journalist “know” how to make the right presentations. A real journalist would not scribble the First Lady a note. This is another display of someone being granted privileges because of their money, not their true worth.

• Serika Reply

May 7, 2012 at 4:44 pm

It requires alot of reading and it is something you clearly do not do. If you did read you would know the award was giving for her Essence article not her hand written letter to the First Lady of the United States. Another example of typing first before you are even aware of what the discussion is really about.

• Deborah Reply

May 9, 2012 at 5:19 pm

Very well said. Don’t you hate how society panders to the rich and famous so much?
        ‘strong African American women.’ Did they teach her grammar at school?
        Its an insult to educated black journalists!

4. Gilda Rogers Reply

May 6, 2012 at 7:07 pm

Dr. Boyce I am with you on this and it is all celebrity driven. That is what’s so sad. I am a journalist and it appears that The New York Association of Black Journalists have selective amnesia with regard to what and who the organization is supposed to represent. They’ve just fallen in line with a celebrity driven culture that doesn’t care about the unknown who has worked to produce a body of work that is worthy of being celebrated. Those days are over. Look at Essence Magazine they used to put those types of people on their cover but not anymore. Beyonce really needs an award from The New York Association of Black Journalists. That itself is laughable

5. Flower Ann Holness Reply

May 6, 2012 at 7:28 pm

I am also puzzled about Beyonce receiving this award. I’m not a genius, but I also questioned the first paragraph of her supposed letter to Michelle Obama. It did not appear to be a letter to the First Lady, but a seemed as though she was writing to someone else about the First Lady.

6. Angela Reply

May 6, 2012 at 7:29 pm

If the black community were more united we wouldn’t have to stoop to ridiculously low levels to get support for our causes. First the NAACP’s use of a video vixen now this insult to hard working black journalists. I love Beyonce, but as an entertainer. She is by no means an intellectual. Black America wake up.

7. pearl Reply

May 6, 2012 at 7:30 pm

why is it such a big deal. Other stars get honorary recognition. Shaque just received one for something. Please stop doing the same as other races do tous. to me this didn`t even haave to be spoken about. Leave it to others to criticize us. Please be more compassionate to each other. This is just my opinion. Thank you for your platform. Pearl Brisco

• cheche Reply

May 7, 2012 at 10:44 am

I would not mind Bey getting the award if she had exceptional writing skills but she does not. Why should others who have worked hard at their craft not win this award? Also Shaq was awarded his doctoral degree because he earned it the old fashion way…it was not a honorary degree.

• Shy Reply

May 7, 2012 at 1:08 pm

Shaquile O’Niel EARNED his doctorate degree. There was nothing honorary about it. He went back to college, studied hard, and gor his doctorate on his own merits from years of hard work. Beyonce worte ONE article. Totally different set of circumstnaces.

• Serika Reply

May 7, 2012 at 4:47 pm

That is what is so fascinating to me. Why is it such a big deal? It is amazing how everything is so precious and means something when Beyonce wins it.It’s always the hand of an ancient secret society, or her big pockets, or the down fall of modern society. It’s a freaking award, another will be given out next year.

• Kim Reply

May 8, 2012 at 2:07 pm

Why is it a big deal? Well put it in these terms: What would happen if next time you are up for a promotion at work and you were the best qualified for the position, but your boss hired someone else who is hardly qualified for the job because she is pretty so she will be a good face for the company? Would you be happy? What if you had been working toward that position for years and hold a degree in your field, but the person who gets promoted over you is a new hire without a degree in that field of work? Would you honestly not be upset by it?
      Same thing happened here. There were hundreds of people more qualified, but Bey got it because of one article (that is presumed to have a ghost writer or heavy editing) she had published in a magazine. She got that slot in the magazine based on celebrity, which is easily determined by the fact that there is no paper trail of her working her way up in the field of journalism. How would it not be insulting to actual journalist? They are all but saying “It doesn’t matter how hard you work.Being pretty and popular is what matters to be important.” That is not what we need to be sending out to our youth.

8. thereggaediva Reply

May 6, 2012 at 7:35 pm

What did she ever write besides the open letter to Michelle Obama? I thought it was ridiculous and real journalists should feel some sort of way about it, its a slap in the face to true journalists that work hard doing thier jobs. I think there is overkill on Beyonce, she is a good entertainer, but she is not perfect, they act like she is….ijs

9. nativesooner Reply

May 6, 2012 at 7:37 pm

She probably contributed to their pet charity in exchange for the award.

10. ARNEADER Reply

May 6, 2012 at 7:57 pm

You’re not a snob…I’m working on my Masters and I told my boyfriend’s THREE stepdaughters…I cannot argue with you, I cannot even talk to you because you are not on my level… you did not even graduate from high school. Boy, they got mad, stopped calling him and one even left a nasty voice mail. They certainly got the message. Education stands for something…and Beyonce’s parents did not think it was important enough to encourage him to attend college. With said, I now understand why Beyonce does not speak eloquently during her acceptance speeches. More recently Beyonce has been mentioned attending night school to get her GED…Did you see those booty shorts she was wearing while carryin Blue in her arms. I mean really! I’m from the South and geographics to play a part–but I was taught when a woman becomes a mother she dresses a certain way…booty shorts?!!!

• S T Smikle Reply

May 7, 2012 at 3:48 am

Please proof your text. Beyoncè is a female so the object pronoun is ‘her’ not ‘him.’ ” Having said that…” Be careful not to omit words. If you are going to tout your education, be without error in your written expression. I’m just saying…

• cheche Reply

May 7, 2012 at 10:51 am

Yes you are a snob and you’re ignorant!!! You need a dose of humbleness! Instead of you respecting all people and life lessons they may teach you….you choose to look down on people because of their educational background. You are a perfect example of a educated fool. I strongly believe education is very important but I don’t support belittling people based on their backgrounds! No wonder his daughters hate you!

• Serika Reply

May 7, 2012 at 4:55 pm

It’s sad that all you have in your life is that education. A peice of paper that says what. I will tell what it says, it says you will pay off a loan for the next 50 years of your life. It says you studied and most likely will not even get a job in your field or will pale in comparison with your co-horts that have international schooling. Education does mean something but in reality it should be a small part of who you are and you are never edcated completely. You should be leanrning something every day of your life. Also what does being a mother or her shorts have to do with the conversation at hand? Once again if you are going to tout your education then remain on task.

11. Porcelain Reply

May 6, 2012 at 8:07 pm

This is my opinion…..notonlydoes she bounce her but and sing she writes. Let us see what is a writer a per son that has passion for what they are writing and for others to either get it or not. A true writer will write from experience or life,,,,,now would you say she is writer? Everyone has enjoyed her writing,well not everyone but I don’t feel her parents or the true God she serves have her concerned with negg in….. Press. The god we serve understands the decision that has been made…….you should to you are a writer!

12. Melony Reply

May 6, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Az they should B! WTH…do she write hur own musiq? What??? How many journalistz got swept under the karpet on thiz raggedy move?

13. RanMan Reply

May 6, 2012 at 8:58 pm

You are not a slob. I don’t think its a matter of education but credentials. Beyonce is the same mega-star who stays in litigation for infringment on copyrights of other artists. A lot of her work is contested for legitimacy. That’s a whole sham of an award.

14. Willa Reply

May 6, 2012 at 9:03 pm

BeYonce…in my opinion cannot sing and if you listen to her talk, she sounds ghetto. I applaud her for becoming rich with thick ankles.

She is fake and also a snob, remember when she criticized the Jackson’s before MJ died saying they (the Jacksons) had to work for a living and her dad drove a fancy car and they had money. Then after MJ died she came out fake saying he was her mentor…give me a break!

• Linda Reply

May 6, 2012 at 9:41 pm

I agree with you 100 percent

• lobo Reply

May 6, 2012 at 9:43 pm

Well, the Knowles probably gave them a hefty donation. She is as phony as a wooden nickel and so is this award. Money changes everything.

15. Sullyharth Reply

May 6, 2012 at 9:14 pm

I’m trying to see why was she even a nominee to get a Journalistic Award my doggon self. Is it because she what, went back to school and achieved her G.E.D., like what, two plus weeks ago? Yeah, she just now attained her G.E.D. like two weeks or so ago for those that don’t know. Come on now. I swear they give this chic too much praise for no apparent reason when there are others out there that are WAY more deserving of certain awards than she is, and they’re never placed in the spotlight and acknowledged as often and as frequent as this chic is, and she’s always acknowledged for mainly for mild, petty stuff all the time seems like. This is pathetic to say the least.

16. Ava Gabrielle-Wise Reply

May 6, 2012 at 9:14 pm

One question: How much money did her husband donate? I did read that sad letter to the First Lady about which I’m sure is the reason why Beyonce received a whimsical Twitter response.

The extent of the money and people worship that is going on in our community, particularly in news and media circuits has reached such sad proportions that I almost don’t trust anything that I read anymore.

Congratulations on the award. Not much serious journalism being composed these days, anyway. They may as well acknowledge one of their own.

17. Cedric Reply

May 6, 2012 at 9:16 pm

I guess they’ll start handing these things out to anyone who happens to be the “flavor of the week”. In an effort to stir up some interest/ publicity..its monkey see,, monkey do i.e. handing an Academy Award to Halle Barry ( that I still can’t figure out) maybe one of those ” Black Actress sleeps with White Actor gets Award” moment. Which in turn begats a monkey see monkey do moment i.e.Halle emulates Brothers and stoops to marry trash…who’s now taking her to the Bank.

18. Kathy Graham-Wilson Reply

May 6, 2012 at 9:32 pm

Money talks is all I can say. She can no more write than my 5 year old neice. What is the world coming to. I thought you had to prove your abilities to win something. SHe should stick to shaking her ass, that is what she does best cus she cant’ sing a lick.

19. Dr. Lorraine Mayes-Buckley Reply

May 6, 2012 at 9:37 pm

I have a PhD and worked very hard for it but I never got an award. I’m even having trouble getting my articles published! Though I am quite proud that her generation is more able to handle their finances, I am also aware that they are under-educated. Everyone can not achieve star status as she and her husband have, however, there are those of us who have raised our children to become productive citizens, achieve higher education and worked hard. I have a PhD and can’t find a job so it is very frustrating for me to see that someone who receives a journalism award did not even finish high school.

Arneader, I agree with you that once a woman becomes a mother, she should dress appropriately or at least tastefully. I have three daughters, one with a master’s in education, and one with a MBA; my youngest is an import/export specialist. Education was stressed in my family. Unfortunately, this country only focuses on those with money and celebrity.

• S T Smikle Reply

May 7, 2012 at 3:55 am

I have a doctorate and find my talents are in demand. Invest in StrengthsFinders 2.0. This quick but highly reliable career assessment tool will do two things: Identify your five innate strengths in ascending order and describe the occupations, work settings, and managerial style compatible with your profile. The tool is a product of the Gallup Poll organization.

Good luck,

Dr. Sheryl

20. Divinepearlz Reply

May 6, 2012 at 9:38 pm

This award is a damn farce. I am in utter disgust. I read both articles and was like WTH. They had better be getting a super uber scholarship donation for this buffoonery.

21. Linda Reply

May 6, 2012 at 9:39 pm

BeYonce my opinion she can not sing and I do not like her style and why was she given this award she is not journalism and she is not a news reporter.oi

22. Linda Reply

May 6, 2012 at 9:39 pm

23. MizB Reply

May 6, 2012 at 10:19 pm

Obviously Jay Z is spending lots of money to make his wife seem to be more than she is .. i think he paid New York Association of Black Journalists to give her the award and while we’re on the subject of her getting recognition that she doesn’t deserve .. I guess he paid off the Magazine that voted her the most beautiful woman in the world because she most certainly isn’t … I guess money really does talk

24. Louise Reply

May 6, 2012 at 10:36 pm

I am not a fan of women who have to where bakini’s just to sing a song. I think a lot of black organizations reward black superstars due to their fame and intelligence, talent, and morality seldom fit into the process. I am not a fan of Boyonce or her ex gangster husband but the few times I heard her speak, she sounds like an airhead. So an award is presented to Beyonce for writing, that’s a joke and insulting to people who studied and practiced journalism for years and can show you their work.

25. STACCEE Reply

May 6, 2012 at 10:51 pm

NO wonder ppl do not take us as appl seriously when a respected organization does something so blantaly stupid as this. she can’t sing, all she can do is shake her behind, dress half naked, supposedly had a kid on her own. of all the journalist and future journalist, this is a slap in the face

26. ENID Reply

May 6, 2012 at 10:53 pm

27. Cheryl Reply

May 6, 2012 at 10:56 pm

Let me start by saying that Beyonce do not deserve that award. Beyonce don’t speak good enough English to deserve a writing award. We all know that this award was brought

• Serika Reply

May 7, 2012 at 4:03 pm

Cheryl since you are clearly an expert in english I am appalled that you said ” Beyonce do not deserve” Actually it is she does not deserve . Also you said she brought the award it’s she bought the award. Also how someone speaks publically has nothing to do with the a writing peice. She was honored for an essay not for an interview she did on TV. I have no issue with you having an opinon but if you are going to judge someone your shit needs to be tight. Sigh I laugh at these essays, Beyonce has the ablity to turn otherwise rational people into shadows of themselves. The profession of journalism has been on the decline for years, all you need is a great followng on twitter or a blog with views and you are considered to be a memeber of the media so your run through of various educational endevors do not mean much. Reguardless of your level of education hard work will always pay off. My dream was to be a journalist after my idol but the game has changed and I for one am changing with it. I started my blog and have set my goals of how I plan to break through. Beyonce’s award doesn’t take anything away from me and if you are confident it shouldn not take anything away from you. Black women have a sick obsession with trying to tear Beyonce down and I am sick of reading your shit. I have read everything from how she speaks in interviews, to her blonde hair, to her style of dance all of which have NOTHING to do with with the article she was awarded for. Her letter to the first lady was laden with poor grammar but unlike you the first lady responded to her and lauded her as a role model to young girls. She is living out her dream, stop posting in comments sections about your degrees and go and make your dream happen, whatever that dream may be. We will have an article up later on today about the faux outrage people have on this issue on our blog Mediamyxx.com.

28. gunNrozes Reply

May 6, 2012 at 11:00 pm

I totally agree with Dr. Boyce and most of the comments here. Bey is definately not an Intellectual and does not deserve what Intellectual work hard to achieve. Bey is just an Entertainer period. It’s to bad through out her entertaining years that she just discovered how important it is for a “rich and beautiful” woman to have some type of education, especially if she consider herself to be equal to the president of the U.S.A. I wonder what was she was expecting? a dinner invite and shopping spree with Michelle O. or do a video in the White House? I hope that she doesn’t stop at her G.E.D. By the way….some said she just received her G.E.D. I thought she just started this Alternative school like last month? or did they (alternative) just “gave” her the G.E.D. ijs

29. Alkhemy Reply

May 6, 2012 at 11:36 pm

Critically acclaimed author and MSNBC Contributor, Toure’ does NOT have a degree BUT he’s still a brilliant man. Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerberg, Shawn Carter, Curtis Jackson and many others do have degrees BUT they all have one thing in common … They all live/d intentially lives and they obey/ed their purpose. Even Beyonce!

Recommended read for everyone … “Frames of Mind” by Howard Gardner. Gardner posited his Theory of Multiple Intelligences, not just those valued by western civilization.

I don’t know whether Beyonce “deserved” the award or not. But I know she is brilliant at what she does and she is a hard worker. Until I can elevate to the levels of success in my endeavors that Beyonce has in hers, I’m not qualified to speak on what she deserves.

I wonder how many us have been fortunate enough to receive things we probably didn’t deserve???

• Yvonne Reply

May 7, 2012 at 4:31 am

I’m sorry usually I don’t comment off of peoples opinion because they are entitled to them, but I just have to say the argument is not whether Beyonce is “brilliant at what she does” or a “hard worker”, that’s not the argument and quite honestly that doesn’t have any barrings on the situation at hand, the issue is other writers and journalist who work hard in their fields, that at times put themselves in harm way to get the story out to the public, those writer are being slighted by a person who is not qualified to be a journalist or a writer for that matter.

It would be equivalent to you going to work doing your job to the best of your ability, and many times going beyond the call of duty, and then to have someone come in that doesn’t know what you know, and can’t do what you do, get the promotion simply based on their name or who they know…..does it happen? Yes, often. Is it right? No, and that’s point! Do you see Journalist getting awards at the Grammy’s or MTV music awards for their published editorial work, no you don’t, she needs to stay in her lane.

And to that last comment that you probably thought was deep and I quote, “Until I can elevate to the levels of success in my endeavors that Beyonce has in hers, I’m not qualified to speak on what she deserves.” No offense but that is an ignorant and untruthful statement, Beyonce is not God and He is the only one that doesn’t need to be questioned. So if that statement holds true, you must have never criticized any of the presidents of the United States, a boss or someone over you, because all the above are successful people that hold titles that many people will never obtain, but yet we still have a brain to be able to decipher right from wrong and that is a God given right that has absolutely nothing to do with our level of success.

• KNB1 Reply

May 7, 2012 at 6:27 am

I agree 100% with your first two points/paragraphs. I understand the importance of education and definitely don’t downplay it, but it’s sad to see some of the commentors generalizing or believing they are somehow superior because of certain educational achievements which leads them to believe they are better than others.

30. Lenny Reply

May 7, 2012 at 12:00 am

I don’t think Beyonce deserves the award either but as most have said, money talks. Too bad she couldn’t pay off the Oscar committee to ignore the fact that she didn’t write “Listen” for Dreamgirls. Beyonce isn’t an intellectual and hardly intelligent (listen to her interviews and her misspelling in her open letter) but a good performer, that’s perhaps what she should be awarded for. Considering all the discrepancies with her “songwriting”, and that ass-kissing Michelle Obama letter and that 6th grade article she obviously didn’t have an adult look over, I wouldn’t even vote for her to get the Honor Roll. I respect all the great writers and journalists who appreciate originality and implement originality into their work; I love reading articles,short stories,and novels where the writer put their blood,sweat,and tears into their work; I love when journalists work til kingdom come to get a good story through their own effort. Beyonce is NONE of those. Good job New York, you just told everyone that originality,hard work,and passion ain’t shit unless you are an overrated superstar with more money than the average person sees in three lifetimes.

31. Richard Reply

May 7, 2012 at 12:07 am

The fact that Beyonce received this award for journalism is reflective of the condition we now find ourselves as a society. Remember, entities and the persons affiliated with those entities are “products of society”. Its unfortunate that our society as a whole has got “caught-up” in the ‘celebrity mentality’ rather than focusing on “substance” and “quality”. Over the past forty years the so-called social-scientist have been “dumming-down” our population to the degree that anyone who obtains ‘material-gain, social-celebrity or aberrational notoriety” is considered a success. When substance, integrity, commitment, quality and intelligence is absent from the equation, you can’t expect that to be the “measuring” tool when giving accolades from one fool to another.

32. Dee Reply

May 7, 2012 at 1:04 am

Sign of the times.

33. LaFaith Reply

May 7, 2012 at 1:41 am

“WOW” LOL that how I feel. The New World Order is starting it’s GAMES using their high paid Artist’s. Remember people $$$$ talks, and if you are part of the Wicked, then you’re in with all the MONEY AND MIND CONTROL. Oh let’s not forget, Beyonce was also awarded the Most Beautiful Woman in the World..Yeah Right! Beyonce is a very beautiful and talented woman, but she is also with the Wicked World. Who is the Wicked World…THE BIG DOGS MONEY GROUPS AND THE ONES WHO CONTROL OUR WORLD…BIG JOKE ON THIS AWARD…WAKE UP PEOPLE YOU’RE FALLING BEHIND!!!

34. LaTia Reply

May 7, 2012 at 2:07 am

This is not good example for young women like myself. This shows that you don’t have to put in work and get honored for something. This is a journalism award. I have not seen , read or heard anything about Beyonce writing articles on the regular. I feel that the association should have gave her another honor if they really wanted to give her something. She should have denied the award because she knows that she don’t not deserve it .

35. Theresa Lindsey Reply

May 7, 2012 at 3:25 am

MY QUESTION IS ……..1. WHAT ARTICLE DID SHE WRITE. AND 2. WHY HER………3. WHO PROFIT’S. 4. I DON’T KNOW, BUT IT SOUNDS TO ME LIKE THOSE JOURNALIST WHO EARNED THEIR DEGREE, HAVE TO BE EXTREMELY UP SET OVER THIS SNAFU………

36. Yvonne Reply

May 7, 2012 at 3:53 am

What’s next a Pulitzer Prize for “Single Ladies” SMH, the really sad part about it is I should be surprised but I’m not, our society is getting more shallow and simple by the minute, and this is proof.

I think it would have even been a little better if her so called writings had any depth to them, or if she wasn’t in the news and court every 2 years for some form of plagiarism so if people in pop culture won’t stand by her writing credibility and are suing her left and right how idiotic is it for the New York Association of Black Journalists to, they need to be ashamed of themselves for putting credible writers on the same stage as her, it’s an insult.

And the worst part is that her fans will actually reduce this down to people just hating on their beloved Bey when in actuality the real writers and journalist are the ones getting hated on.

37. Mz Reply

May 7, 2012 at 4:09 am

I am so over your dumb a s s articles. This site has more grammatical errors than any graffiti wall and just as much unresearched information as the neighborhood gossip. The vocabulary is so limited that my five year old niece can identify how bad the writing is and misleading the titles can be. You talk about Beyonce? You have some damn nerve.

• Linda Reply

May 7, 2012 at 10:35 pm

Oh, I just read from reading a comment on here, that Ms. B got her GED 2 weeks ago, which explains why she went to get it, so it wouldn’t look so bad once she receive the award. Ms. B. needs to stop being and fake and sell-out. Anyone listening to her during interviews, knows that she’s lacking in the education department. There are so many people selling their souls for money, in which; I’m sure they were given a hefty donation from Ms. B.

38. Eldon Pittman Reply

May 7, 2012 at 5:26 am

Beyonce deserves the award, and it is fitting that she receive it. Just as Rappers receive Oscars on their first venture into acting, thereby proving that a false degree of excellence has been applied to these jobs and that only whites can excel. You are ALWAYS on the wrong side of issues, in your attempt to be some kind of voice for all things black! Who gave you a degree…and why? The Povert Pimp and Race Baiting fields are full..so there is no vacancy!

39. KNB1 Reply

May 7, 2012 at 6:41 am

I agree that Beyonce recieving this award is unusually strange. Where I do disagree is the conclusion jumping that somehow if you aren’t educated past high school then you are not worthy of awards; especially in the capacity of journalism. This is obviously not the case when referring to Beyonce’s recent accolade. Her letter to First Lady Michelle was written as if by a middle school student. Later reading her article in Essence I didn’t feel as if it were superbly written. I actually felt the complete opposite. I’m glad to see the backlash against this organization because it’s highly warranted. You can’t proclaim to be of great substance when you’re bestowing journalism awards to someone who obviously can’t write worth a damn; be it a celebrity or ordinary person. I find it hilarious that some of you laud your advanced degrees, but are leaving out or misspelling words. Yes it’s a blog, but you can’t throw out how great you supposedly are yet leave evidence that would lead to a contrary conclusion. Remember you are to represent yourself in the highest degree at all times; whether at work or play.

40. Harold I. Brown Reply

May 7, 2012 at 10:49 am

This is only a sign of the times. As lovely as Ms. B voice is, she has to get almost naked to sing a song. I blame her mother and husband for the design of her outfits and how can one even be considered for an educational award with little or no education. We as Black people in high are selling out to society for the money. But God is not mocked, whatsoever we sow we shall also reap. Sme affluent Blacks are the same as some affluent Whites, they just are in it for ME.

• nomalanga Reply

May 7, 2012 at 12:32 pm

Why would you blame her husband?

41. January Jones Reply

May 7, 2012 at 12:27 pm

There is nothing anyone could do about it. Case closed

42. Pingback: Beyonce's 'Journalism Award' Gets Side-Eye from Dr. Boyce | EURweb

43. mackjune Reply

May 7, 2012 at 2:57 pm

WHY DONT YOU PEOPLE STOP HATING MY GIRL SHOULD HAVE IT.NOW GET OVER IT.

44. Serika Reply

May 7, 2012 at 4:12 pm

I too am laughing at the grammar being used while insulting someone else’s intelligence. I also find it funny that the person so outraged isn’t even a journalist but a college professor using this award and Beyonce’s name to sell her upcoming book she has coming out. Most people who criticize Beyonce have an angle and this writer is no different and I am not hating because that is the game. I love Beyonce because everything she does just makes people upset. People has given the most Beautiful for years, Beyonce wins and now we black women have to, ask what message this sends to young girls. More importantly it’s funny how personally you take everything she does. Not only this particular writer but others attack her personally like she took something from your very soul. All over an award she most likely gives two shits about. The organization is now being talked about world wide and Essence has reissued the article and is enjoying the extra hits on Essence.com. It’s clear why it was done, for people who claim to be so smart you are dumb to the obvious intentions.

45. vee Reply

May 7, 2012 at 5:00 pm

I am a scholar with two degrees and there are people who have four degrees. Beyonce is in school to get her GED. If that is true, how can she be honored with this award. She has put in time for singing that is it. What are we saying to our youth. I was a youth as one time, forced to go to college or get a job but I took the easy way out by completing my B.A. in 4 years and Master’s in 1 1/2 years. No, it was not easy and I was the first in the family. Forced only because my parents wanted me to set an example for my six siblings. Now my remaining generations are going. We did not receive a prestigious aware. I am female, the army paid seventy-five percent of my second degree because I became a army reservist.
    What were the standards for the awards. What are we telling our youth? She is not a scholar. Why are these organizations lowering the standards?

46. t_99 Reply

May 7, 2012 at 8:55 pm

I am a long time subscriber to Essence, and I read Beyonce’s article. Admittently, I did not finish reading it because it garbage, a celebrity fluff piece. Articles of this type as well as recent appointments to the Essence leadership team are exactly why I am considering cancelling my subscription. I feel like Essence let her write an article because her name sells magazines. The same goes for NYABJ. Who even knew that organization existed until they gave Beyonce an award? And now we learn that she doesn’t even have a high school diploma, but gets to write for Essence and get an award for it, too? Oh, come on! Beyonce doesn’t even write her own songs. NYAJB would have been better served highlighting a true journalist. Giving an award to Beyonce cheapens their credentials, and is a slap in the face to all of the people who went to school for journalism, and work hard to do the research, ask the tough questions and write articles of substance.

47. Linda Reply

May 7, 2012 at 10:20 pm

I just recently read an article, which showed pictures of Beyonce w/ Blue Ivy,(daughter)leaving a center where she is attending GED classes. Beyonce didn’t even finish high school, yet alone college.

People are so facinated w/Beyonce’s lustful dance acts, until they will to do anything to promote their “IDOL.”

48. Linda Reply

May 7, 2012 at 10:36 pm

correction: I just learned from reading…..

49. charles Reply

May 7, 2012 at 10:59 pm

i have two things to say to this doc, first “REALLY” no “REALLY” For real that really happen. and number two booty still has power. Damm Shame they should all be ashamed the NYABJ, they could have just ask her to come and preformed and watch the power of the booty, maybe not enough budget writers dont make much so to see the booty upclose and not have to buy one of her high ass tickets “REALLY”

50. Jewel Reply

May 8, 2012 at 1:19 am

Friends,

I read through these comments and people had some very interesting things to say–including Dr. Boyce, with whom I agree. As an elementary school teacher, I should add my two cents, however: SPELL-CHECK IS OUR FRIEND! I know folks were passionate about what they wanted to share, but it really is worth the time to type what you want to say into an MS Word document, see what the Spell & Grammar Checks can do to help our messages to be clear and correct, and THEN post into online, worldwide forums! Just a thought. Love my people…

• Dorian Mode Reply

May 8, 2012 at 10:23 am

Jewel: You are the type of person who would stiffel great ideas based on fear,and shame of not having a higher education. Just because I don’t speak the kings English does not mean that I don’t have the right to be heard. If your ideas are stupid, even if their spelled correctly their still stupid.

51. william carrington Reply

May 8, 2012 at 2:34 am

They have seriously devalued their orginization with their choice for this award. Consider them fools.

52. Pingback: Does Beyonce Deserve an Award for Journalism? | The News of Today

53. Naomi Braswell Reply

May 8, 2012 at 11:20 pm

Beyonce is an excellent singer, she is not a journalist. It is unfortunate that there are many qualified journalists that have worked extremely hard, persevered to attain their goal of becoming a journalist. If people would put themselves in the true journalist’s shoes, they would see exactly how they feel being left out or not receiving a journalist award themselves, although they truly strived for such an honor. I believe credit SHOULD be given where credit is due. Was Beyonce entitled to receive a journalist award based on one article she wrote? The answer SHOULD be obvious …

54. imSimplyCarolyn Reply

May 9, 2012 at 4:46 pm

@lobo
    You are funny…
    You said Beyonce is as phony as a wooden-nickle!!! LOL! And then some more…
    Where they do that at???
    But in reality, shes very, very fake.

55. acs; May 9, 2012 Reply

May 10, 2012 at 6:20 am

It is so sad that at this season of our lives, some of us still have a Plantation Mentality. Maybe if you all would stop HATING on Beyonce and say one of us has made it, take notes and maybe you’ll be Blessed also. Take the BEAM & MOTE out of your eyes and maybe the Lord will Bless you too. Stop the jealous crap and be grateful. If Beyonce got a GED as you all so happily predict, at least she took the initive to get some education; How much do you all have? Not very much, because it has not taught you to reach a hand out for your Brothers & Sisters. Get A Life and leave this Lady alone, while she’s enjoying hers.

56. hambone Reply

May 13, 2012 at 3:17 pm

I only want to comment because this is not my email. Bey does not have a High school Diploma; yet, you wonder why journalist feels this was an insult a slap in the FACE. While we Love Bey, she is out of her lane and she should have moved over!!! She is in the way!