Oprah Makes Forbes’ Top 10 Most Powerful Celebrities In Spite of Struggling Network
“Although Winfrey had a tough year dealing with her struggling cable network, OWN, she still earned $165 million last year. Her magazine, radio deal with Sirius (NASDAQ:SIRI) and spin-off shows have helped Winfrey remain the top earner on the list.”
Beginning with comeback queen Jennifer Lopez, here’s a look at the celebrity elite that landed spots 1 – 10 on Forbes Celebrity 100.
- Jennifer Lopez: Before winning a seat between Randy Jackson and Steven Tyler at the American Idol judging table, J.Lo’s A-list status was dangerously close to sliding down a notch or two. In the past year, she has earned more than $52 million, landed major endorsement deals with Procter & Gamble‘s (NYSE:PG) Gillette and L’Oreal (PINK:LRLCY). She also has a successful clothing line at Kohl’s (NYSE:KSS), a popular fragrance and a new album.
- Oprah Winfrey: Although Winfrey had a tough year dealing with her struggling cable network, OWN, she still earned $165 million last year. Her magazine, radio deal with Sirius (NASDAQ:SIRI) and spin-off shows have helped Winfrey remain the top earner on the list.
- Justin Bieber: He’s only 18, but the Canadian superstar earned about $55 million dollars last year. In addition to recording hit albums, selling out shows and hawking myriad consumer products, Bieber is a budding venture capitalist. He owns stakes in start-ups such as Spotify and Tinychat.
- Rihanna: The beautiful singer from Barbados earned $53 million during the past year. Her hit singles like We Found Love and Talk That Talk helped her score a spot on the list for the first time. She also makes millions with her fragrance and endorsement deals.
- Lady Gaga: The incomparable Gaga held last year’s No. 1 spot on the list, but with earning $52 million despite touring less, fifth place isn’t shabby. With more than 24 million Twitter followers and 50 million Facebook fans, the musician is very influential in social media.
- Britney Spears: J.Lo isn’t the only celeb on the list who has made a comeback. At the No. 6 spot, Spears has officially revitalized her career. She earned $58 million last year because of extensive touring, endorsements, a platinum album and a fragrance line with Elizabeth Arden (NASDAQ:RDEN).
- Kim Kardashian: Millions snicker at the celebrity power harnessed by the TV reality-show star because she’s mostly known for stirring controversy. However, drama can reel in money, fame and power. The 31-year-old earned $18 million last year and appeared on more than 60 magazine covers.
- Katy Perry: Aside from rocking blue hair — seriously not many people can pull that one off — Katy Perry is only the second artist in history to have five No. 1 singles from the same album. The other celebrity who accomplished that? Michael Jackson. Perry earned about $45 million last year.
- Tom Cruise: The ninth spot on the list and the third comeback story goes to Tom Cruise. Many wrote Cruise off after his couch-hopping stint on Oprah coupled with his noisy opinions about silent childbirth and other philosophies. But the legendary actor has some serious star power. The success of Mission Impossible – Ghost Protocol helped him earn $75 million.
- Steven Spielberg: With two Oscar nominated films, The Adventures of Tintin and War Horse and earnings of $130 million, the movie producer/director landed the No. 10 spot on the list. DreamWorks‘ (NASDAQ:DWA) successful debut on the small screen with hits such as Terra Nova and Smash also add to Spielberg’s power prowess.