Mother Gives Gay Son a Stun Gun to Fight Off Bullies

A mother was concerned about her son being a victim of bullies. So, rather than waiting for school officials to protect her child or letting the chips fall where they may, the mom took the matter into her own hands.  She gave her son a stun gun.

As you can imagine, this created quite the controversy, and the mom’s decision to protect her child has now made national headlines.

Newsone.com tells the story:

“Chelisa Grimes gave her gay sonDarnell “Dynasty” Young, a stun gun to protect himself against bullies, after she lost faith that officials at Arsenal Technical High School in Indianapolis would protect him, CNN reports.

The 17-year-old high school student says be took the stun gun to school because he didn’t feel safe. On April 16, six students surrounded Young, taunting him and pelting him with homophobic insults. He then took out the gun and fired it, sending off an electric shock. The would-be bullies were abated. Young’s mom says she doesn’t regret her decision of giving her son a stun gun, and, in fact, would make the same decision again. However, her son is now facing expulsion.”

SOURCE

Would you give your child a weapon to protect himself from bullies?

23 Responses to Mother Gives Gay Son a Stun Gun to Fight Off Bullies

1. Monica Pinson Reply

May 7, 2012 at 11:49 pm

This topic is a two edge sword. With so many kids committing suicide because of bullying. What is the answer, if the bullies are not being expelled?
    This mother, doesn’t want to find her kid dead, from being bullied.

• Scott Reply

May 8, 2012 at 2:10 pm

Very true and I agree with you. ONE must protect one’s family. IF one is even a heathen, a non-believer in any thing, or is a christian, ONE’S first devotion is to ONE’S FAMILY MEMBERS! Certainly to children! IT does seem that it has always been a problem with many folks, to see any one else who is “quiet, calm, ordered, bookish, not a jock, nerdie, etc.” as a person that can be knocked around and picked on! THAT needs to stop now in our world and IF a weapon is needed to make it so, SO BE IT. NOW will the cops back him up or not, is the question?

2. Linda Reply

May 7, 2012 at 11:53 pm

My son is not gay, however; he is considered a nerd. My son was being bullied and beat up while in school, after placing him in at least 5 different schools w/ little help from school officials, I decided to leave my job, and homeschool my son. He is 15, and has been out of the school system since he was 9.

He is a very bright student, however; he suffers socially, that is the down-side. However, he is not suffering from anxiety anymore.

3. Juan Acevedo Reply

May 8, 2012 at 12:03 am

It’s sad that kids feel the need to carry weapons with them to school nowadays……but this story kinda made me laugh. Lol.

4. Marthea V Scales Reply

May 8, 2012 at 12:04 am

He’s a human being, and he had the right 2 protect his self, if the school wasn’t going 2 protect him!! Bulling is serious!!

5. DOUGLAS STEWARD Reply

May 8, 2012 at 12:11 am

IT IS AMAZING TO KNOW THAT SCHOOLS TRY TO FORCE CHILDREN INTO DEATH TRAPS. IF THE SCHOOL IS NOT DOING ITS JOB THAN THE CHILD SHOULD NOT GO TO THAT SCHOOL AND THE SCHOOL SHOULD GET SUED. LIFE IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN A EDUCATION OF THE LESSER DEGREE IN MOST SCHOOLS ANYWAY. AMERICAS SCHOOLS ARE LIKE PRISONS FOR SOME BECAUSE OF THE WAY THAT THEY ARE BEING FORCED TO TEACH OUR CHILDREN. IT ALSO HAS ALLOWED SATANIC PEOPLE INTO THE SCHOOL SYSTEM TO MAKE THINGS AS BAD AS POSIBLE FOR EVERYONE.

6. halima Reply

May 8, 2012 at 1:18 am

I learned that first one would need to give a written notice of concern and a request for safety to the Principal, Superintendent and Police Depts. The next step would then be the stun gun. Yes! Bullying needs to be outlawed NOW!!!!! or may the victims be victorious..

7. reka Reply

May 8, 2012 at 1:37 am

Hell to the yeah I would give my child a weapon to protect themselves. What kind of weapon, I don’t know. I want a stun gun for myself! I’ve witnessed my little brother being harrassed by bullies and I had to protect him, even though I was jumped by about 6 boys and I’m a female. They jumped me twice while grown raggedy ass men stood around watching. My little sister even started carrying a knife because of these boys. I carried mase and filed a police report. I be damned if I’ll let my 2 deal w/ that or be a bully.

8. Karen Hendon Reply

May 8, 2012 at 1:39 am

Absolutely. If there is threat of physical harm, self defense is an absolute defense. Why would any mother let her son go unprotected into an environment of potential harm?

9. SYLVIA Reply

May 8, 2012 at 1:41 am

I sure would!

10. Ene Reply

May 8, 2012 at 1:50 am

I don’t blame her, I blame the system that we live in. No mother wants harm to come to her child no matter what the circumstances are.

11. Scott Reply

May 8, 2012 at 2:05 pm

GOOD FOR HER, LET’S hope he has enough sense to use it on them!!!!!!

12. Lloyd Reply

May 8, 2012 at 2:20 pm

When I was a pre-teen I was bullied. My parents were divorcing so they were no help. I started using the school gym after school and learned how to box. By 15 I had no more problems with bullies.

I didn’t need a weapon or even an adult to protect me. A boy needs to learn to be a man. That begins with solving his own problems in his own way. That’s what they taught us back in the day, to learn how to confront our own problems.

I think this bullying thing is much ado about nothing. It’s tough to see your kids having a hard time but it is a part of life. Are you going to chew your kid’s food for them as well? Of course not. The only thing you can do is teach them the right way to do things and pray for them.

13. Viv Reply

May 8, 2012 at 3:15 pm

I hate to say but yes I would give my child some type of weapon if the school is not going to protect her. We send our children to school and hope and pray they are safe. My daughter was bullied in Junior High School (she is 18 years old now)for two years and I just recently found out. I was so upset for not knowing and not being able to do anything. Even to this day I feel anger and hurt for what she went through with the two boys who did this to her. But thank god she is graduating from High School this year.

14. HalimaS Reply

May 8, 2012 at 3:46 pm

I am not the Halima above. My advice would be is to help this young man to make the positive choice.

15. Karisa Reply

May 8, 2012 at 4:41 pm

I feel her need to protect her son! With so much going on in the world, it’s either you or me? Kids now a days, we constantly pick and belittle one another and so many parents say that kids are getting weak, but I think that the parenting skills are getting weak. We didn’t hear about all of this controversy back in the day because people taught their children to respect their peers and elders, but that is no more since people feel like their children come into the world to raise themselves!

16. ARNEADER Reply

May 8, 2012 at 6:29 pm

I saw this on CNN and the mother was wrong for giving the son the stun gun. And the school was wrong for saying “if he dresses like a girl what can you expect”. The mother should have made sure the boy dressed appropriately in school and had a male relative or friend to teach him self defense lessons. And the school really should deal with bullying no matter who it is aimed at.

17. Paula Reply

May 8, 2012 at 9:14 pm

Child this woman is smarter than a judge whose son shot Trayvon. At least he didn’t kill them.

18. Lloyd Reply

May 9, 2012 at 1:32 pm

The logic displayed here is extremely disappointing. If this truly is a cross section of the mindset of the Black parent then there is no wonder so many of us are behind bars.

Arming your children is bad parenting. Fighting your children’s battles is bad parenting. We are supposed to TEACH our children how to handle difficult situations. Now this kid is facing expulsion because he used a weapon in school. Guess what? He deserves it and his mom deserves punishment too.

If your children went to that school you wouldn’t want them to be around armed kids, whatever their reasons may be.

19. sasha Reply

May 9, 2012 at 4:34 pm

I agree with Lloyd. I’ve been bullied in my life, and as much as I wanted to carry a gun and blow these kids heads off, I NEVER thought about actually doing it because it wasn’t worth it. Black folks always trying to use weapons to solve their problems, which is why black on black crime is so high. We have to teach our kids better alternatives to handling difficult situations. I also wish the schools implemented harsher consequences to these kids that think it’s cool to pick on someone. Kick them out the school if necessary so another Columbine doesn’t happen!

20. lee Reply

May 10, 2012 at 1:28 am

I HATE TO DO THIS BUT IT SEEMS TRUE BECAUSE ITS
    BLACK ON BLACK NOTHING SEEM TO BEEN DONE. WHAT ABOUT THE STAND YOUR GROUND. OH I FORGOT YOU HAVE TO DIED BEFORE HELP COMES. OH,THEN ITS TO LATE
    BECAUSE THE PERSON THAT NEEDED TO BE PROTECTED IS
    DIED. GOD HELP US ALL

21. JC Reply

May 10, 2012 at 5:17 pm

22. JC Reply

May 10, 2012 at 5:51 pm

SHE NEEDS TO GIVE HIM A LESSON IN GOD’S WORD AND GET HERSELF IN A STATE WHERE GOD WILL HEAR HER PRAYERS TO CHANGE HIS HEART/MIND!! WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO WHEN HE GOES OUT THERE AND ATTEMPTS TO DEFRAUD SOMEONE’S CHILD WHO IS NOT GAY? WILL YOU BE READY TO DO SOMETHING TO HIM? TEACH THIS KID WHAT HE IS DOING IS WRONG BEFORE HE COMES ON TO SOMEONE WHO IS NOT GAY AND THEN WHO KNOWS WHAT WILL HAPPEN!! HE CHOSE TO BE THIS WAY SO BE WILLING TO ACCEPT WHAT COMES ALONG WITH THIS LIFESTYLE. SIN SIN SIN!!