Should African Americans Re-Segregate Themselves?

The winner of a recent contest on the Your Black World fan page, Joe Kellam, is getting attention for his perception of the three items that should define the black agenda.  The video is below:

7 Responses to Should African Americans Re-Segregate Themselves?

1. Pianki Reply

May 18, 2012 at 2:46 pm

Presently the population of Blacks and black African-Americans in the southern states are at a highest level not seen since the Reconstruction Period.There should be an agenda that would equate to this ethnic group controling that which they comsume in this and other similiar population areas. Food, clothing, shelter, services and the infrastructure to delivery them. It is sinful that this group will permit such economic terrorism to continue which schuffles their men, women and children into a further state of poverty and dependence on others thus leaving their communities depleted of resources for progress and wealth generation. All the political correctness that has been implemented in the pass has proven to be disastrous and to continue on such a course in inshane. Lets have an “AGENDA” of plans that puts this idea into motion.

2. Jakada Zo Reply

May 20, 2012 at 1:14 pm

Isolation Brings Clarity:

The model to discover, de-construct, re-construct and construct has been here for a very long time. When I started my journey to legally re-define who I am as a man with a memory, I beared witness to the fear my family and some friends felt for me. It almost felt like I was walking the plank into an unknown place that would surely bring death for daring to define, record with the courts and establish my true status, as I defined it. After 16 years of full time research and practical application, it worked. I cant express the feeling knowing that I have placed on the official record something my “Posterity” can look back on and use as a road map to hue-man enlightenment. This journey is not for the faint of heart. I have come to the conclusion that we fear moving forward out of an unknown fear that those other folks will take back what we think we own if we attempt to embrace and re-engineer the greatness inside of us. If you have this fear, they have already gained psychological control over what you think you own.In closing must I remind us that we come upon the earth with nothing and we leave with nothing, ownership on this earth plain is but a mere illusion. What we truly own and this now time existence is the power of our “projection”, visual, spiritual, and physical. Brother Joe Kellam is correct, let’s change our “projection” and watch how the world reacts.

Blessings

Jakada, Transient Foreigner

• Reesie The Realest Reply

May 23, 2012 at 6:59 pm

GO ‘HEAD JAKADA!!!! I know profusely of that private real man status of which you speak, and am living in the ‘real world’ now myself :-). It is indeed a sad reality for me as well, as cutting folks off is par for the course. I decided years ago to stop subjecting myself to people (no matter who they were/are) who do not love and respect me for that which I love and respect myself. Unfortunately when we take that serious step to free ourselves, it becomes downright necessary to separate oneself, if not for downright safety purposes! Ignorance can be downright dangerous to folks such as ourselves, due to pure ignorance and that same fear that family members have for you, that you allude to. Their actions stem from Perceptions built in ignorance…that same ignorance we have shed. Sour our paradigm is no longer the same. So I feel you very much so on this one, and have come to accept that this TRUTH is solely for those with eyes to see and ears that hear the call of reality and the dismantling of the crippling illusion. Tweet me! @reesiedarealest

• Catlover Reply

June 12, 2012 at 10:46 pm

Truth spoken so eloquently and poetically. I (a woman, @ Reesie the Realist) can also relate tremendously, but in my seperation, I have gained a true freedom. There is a difference between ‘segregation’ – which means to be seperated by one that controls you, and ‘seperation’ – which means to be seperate and independent. I also MUST add that in my seperation, I have found true family.

3. anonymous Reply

May 20, 2012 at 2:04 pm

How do you convince the young hip hop generation to stop giving their dollars to corporate america for hair, nails, and clothes, cars, and tech equipment?

How do you wean upper middle class blacks from their psychological dependence on “all things white” ?

Finally, are we not already segregated? Church folk have waged a social war on non church folk (and even with other church folk), middle clss blacks and blacks with “sagging pants” don’t like each other, and of course, black women and men are psychologically segregated…so where does that leave us?

4. Bayyinah Ford Reply

May 22, 2012 at 2:37 pm

I agree with segregating ourselves.

5. Rick Richardson Reply

July 10, 2012 at 9:41 pm

I’m pleased to say that I’m glad I’m not the only person of African extraction thinking along these lines. I agree with everything these brothas are saying. At the same time, I don’t trust non-black people to understand where I’m coming from (and even some black folk don’t get it, the enslavment is complete). We’re badly damaged and need to heal ourselves and each other.

@Anonymous…segregating from everyone else (for a while at least) might help us to heal and learn to love ourselves, and by default, each other, better. Because what we doin right now aint workin for anybody.