Dr. Boyce: Essence Magazine and the Racially-Offensive White Editor

Essence Magazine’s editor-in-chief, Constance White, was forced to back pedal when  one of her editors, Michael Bullerdick, forgot that even a “private” facebook page can still end up embarrassing you in the public.

Bullerdick, the infamous white guy hired at Essence as a Managing Editor last summer, has turned out to be the kind of Right Wing, Fox News watching, Tea Party attending, first black president hating, extremist that we hear about in scary racist bed time stories.  Bullerdick isn’t just a man with a few conservative viewpoints, he’s the kind of Republican who is so angry at black people and civil rights that he puts it all over his Facebook page.  I wouldn’t be surprised if Bullerdick owns one of those “Don’t Re-nig” bumper stickers that are all the rage among Right Wing nut jobs.

Bullerdick was busted after the website Journal-isms sent a screenshot of his page to the editor.   On the page, Bullerdick attacked civil rights leader Al Sharpton as a “Race Pimp,” went after President Obama as a radical, and touted videos by the late Andrew Breitbart attacking Attorney General Eric Holder.  The commentary wasn’t just a matter of simple disagreement on policy, but was the kind of racial hatred that one would expect from the kind of Right Winger that even other Republicans might find embarrassing.

Bullerdick is certainly not the kind of person who should be, in any way, responsible for the editorial content at what used to be a leading publication reflecting the views of black women all across America.  That would be like allowing Jesse Jackson to become a producer for The Rush Limbaugh Show, or putting ex-stripper Nene Leakes in charge of this year’s debutante ball.  The fit is awkward, to say the least and not one that the majority of black women would ever approve.

Let’s be real:  Bullerdick wasn’t someone that Constance White, nor the Essence magazine staff, would have hired had he not been thrust upon them by their financial overseers.  Bullerdick being white is not the issue, although one could argue that there are thousands of talented black female journalists, locked out of white organizations, who would be quite qualified to speak to the black female experience in America.  What is most problematic is the fact that Bullerdick is a guy who identifies with the values and beliefs of those who work night and day to preserve our nation’s long-held commitment to racial inequality.   The union between Bullerdick and Essence Magazine was the kind of awkward arranged marriage that leaves the bride sobbing in the dressing room when she realizes she has no choice.

CLICK TO READ

61 Responses to Dr. Boyce: Essence Magazine and the Racially-Offensive White Editor

1. Pingback: Essence Removes White “Managing Editor” Over Offensive Facebook Postings | Kulture Kritic

2. keith Reply

April 24, 2012 at 12:55 pm

Fire him! It’s a no brainer! Clearly he should have never been hired!

3. Hotep2You Reply

April 24, 2012 at 1:16 pm

RE: “the idea that someone like Bullerdick is being given direct access to our most-cherished institutions should be serious cause for alarm.”

Most Cherished? Really?
    If that is the case- then why did it ever become necessary for Essence to seek financial backing from a mainstream- white owned and majority run powerhouse like TW?

If Essence, Ebony, Jet, and the likes are/were so cherished by our community- we as a collective would throw our full support behind them. Beginning with, but certainly not limited to- maintaining annual subscriptions. The financial powerhouses born of the African American, Afro Caribbean, and African communities who’re in a position to do so- would strike a deal(s) with them that would infuse the much needed operating capital, advertising dollars, fresh ideas, creative thought and talent — into our “most cherished,” institutions. Doing all of the above (and more) so Essence and the likes would never have to- strike questionable, and or compromising deals with…or beg “others” to save that which is supposedly cherished by us”.
    God Bless the Child that has and is willing to support His & Her Own!

• Lydia Reply

April 25, 2012 at 8:54 pm

Hotep2You, maybe the blogger overstated the ‘most cherished’ element of Essence as a product, but there remains a curious problem of having hired someone to helm a publication when his credentials and perspective are so at odds with the stated objectives and intended audience of the publication. I have never used liquid bleach on my dark clothes; it’s just the wrong product.

On the other hand, you make a great point about support for so-called institutions. I think you have the right idea, but I also think the publications have an obligation to stay relevant. In my world, magazine subscriptions have a two-year cycle unless they remain relevant and significant to the subscribers. And it doesn’t matter the subject of the magazine. For instance, if I notice that Runner’s World has run the same Spring Shape-Up features with no added value year over year, I’m done. I don’t have endless disposable income, after all. If I note that advertisers in a magazine don’t take my lifestyle into account, I assume I’m not the target audience of the mag. Inasmuch as I don’t straighten my hair, bleach my skin, spend a small fortune on clothes every season or struggle to organize my relationships, I no longer have any use for Essence. I’m not their demographic, and that’s fine. I did my time.
      I’d rather support my community by tutoring kids locally, spending my disposable income in support of local merchants who hear me and see me, and leave Essence to the audience the mag is courting.

• Hotep2You Reply

April 29, 2012 at 2:44 pm

Peach & Greetings Lydia
        There are many points in your post … well most actually- that I am in agreement with.

As for why would Essence hire someone that they seemingly had not done their due diligence in vetting- it’s my understanding that the man in question was a part of the deal for financing that they agreed to. I of course could be mistaken- but that’s what I’ve read in more than a few published articles on the issue.

Remaing relevant most certainly is key to the survival of anything being marketed to the masses. Relevancy however is also subjective.

While their survival is depended upon subscriberships – Self magazine, Runners’ World, and the likes appeal to … have much broader target audiences than Essence. They unlike Essence (and most every other publication geared specifically to one race of people) can most assuredly withstand the loss of a few thousand paid subscribers from time to time. “Our Publications,” um not so much. IMO Essence has been struggling to remain relevant long before this crisis. However it is my belief that few too many ended their subscriptions as a show of no longer being interested in the Mag’s content- sans any other feedback: comments, and or suggestions as to how to retain their allegiance as paid subscribers. Essence in their arrogance, didn’t feel a/the need to follow-up with those who bailed in droves to determine what if anything- they could do to win them back. That in my opinion is unfortunate. Perhaps had they done so- the topic of this particular thread would never have materialized.
        Hotep!

4. Valerie Samuel Reply

April 24, 2012 at 1:17 pm

I am surprised that he would even accept the role as Managing Editor due to his views. Unfortunately this is what happens when outside capital comes into play.
    Fortunately, Constance and the rest of her team have continued to produce great articles and keep women informed about our greatness!

5. Max Reply

April 24, 2012 at 1:18 pm

This is what happens when you don’t have financial control over your life or your community due to a lack of financial and social unity , it leads to this……… “Bullerdick wasn’t someone that Constance White, nor the Essence magazine staff, would have hired had he not been thrust upon them by their financial overseers”

6. AYISHA JEFFRIES-CISSE Reply

April 24, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Did Essence dropped its standards and not vet this individual; “we be so trustin’”! especially in our involuntary deference to “white folks!” This would never have been an issue if we do our due diligence and keep our standards unequivocally in best practice.

7. AYISHA JEFFRIES-CISSE Reply

April 24, 2012 at 1:24 pm

This would never have been an issue if we did insisted on “due diligence” from the owners; I agree with Max but believe we can stand firm if we have core values that are non-negotiable.

8. pe Reply

April 24, 2012 at 1:31 pm

I stopped my subscription when they could not find a woman of color to be the editor of the magazine.
    And, I resented the fact that T.D. Jakes (a man) was hired to replace Susan Taylor. I love Rev. Jakes, but there are Black women preachers, teacher, etc. who should have been considered and hired.

9. anonymous Reply

April 24, 2012 at 1:33 pm

The folks at Essence Magazine got what they deserve. Why in the world are they hiring non-african american staff anyway?

I dare anybody to name one Indian-American, Irish-American, Italian-American, or Greek-American publication where an african american is on staff let alone running the operation.

Plus, I truly believe that there are some psychological issues at play. I have noticed for years how black women, especially educated ones seem to love to rub up against white males in the workplace. They would simply rather work and socialize with a white male versus a black male who has equal or superior credentials.

And make no mistake…the ivy league schools are graduating black males with MBA’s and law degrees year after year after year.

• Barbbara Reply

April 24, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Don’t forget that it was Black males who sold ESSENCE to the White man (Viacom). After the Black males made money off of Black women, they ‘sold’ us to the White man so he could make money off of us too.

• Ronald B. Saunders Reply

April 24, 2012 at 5:19 pm

anonymous: Be a man an identify who you are rather than coming on this site with that anonymous b.s.
      The indigenous people in this country don’t want you to refer to them as Indian American. Indians from the sub-continent of Asia are referred to as Indian Americans if they are US citizens.
      The indigenous people in the America’s are called Native American or more correctly First Americans.

You made a sweeping generalization about Black women wanting to rub shoulders with white males in the workplace. Have you been in every workplace in the country? Then adduce some hard evidence to support your position that Black women in the workplace love to rub shoulders with white males?
      Did you get axed by some fine sister in the workplace because you acted like a wimp rather than a real Black man?
      What is your point about “and make no mistake..the Ivy League schools are graduating black males with MBA’s and law degrees year after year?”
      Furnish the viewers on this site with your supportive data that will show the number of black graduates from Brown, Columbia, Cornell Dartmouth, Harvard, Penn, Princeton, and Yale that have obtained MBA’s & Law Degrees for subject years of 2005-2011?

Why didn’t you mention in your detailed critique on this subject that there are also Black graduates from the HBCU’s with MBA’s and said Law Degrees who are just as good or better than the over hyped Ivy grads?

What happen at Essence is the results of Negroes not not being able to control their own institutions and some who are afflicted with the disease of (PTSS) or more commonly called the Post Traumatic Slave Syndrome or slave mentality.

Ha! Ha!… “White ain’t always right” “It never is”
      I hope those dumb Negroes drown in there “White Is Right Syndrome.”

• Larin Smith Reply

April 24, 2012 at 5:24 pm

Yes anonymous you are correct, there are lots of African American males attending ivy league schools.
      Have you also not noticed how the majority of them are also entranced by the image of white females as the one and only version of womanhood worth bothering with? Choosing white females as mates seems to go with the territory. It seems that “higher” education and “success” for Black males only means greater conformity to the status quo as determined by the descendants of Europe

• Charli Reply

April 24, 2012 at 6:00 pm

I so agree with anonymous!! They got exactly what they deserve. I’m as Paul Mooney that once said it appears black people can’t even have a headache that’s their very own.

• Jacqueline Irons Reply

April 28, 2012 at 4:21 pm

Charli, you’ve said it all. Totally agree!!!

• Toppergem Reply

April 24, 2012 at 8:12 pm

I agree with you…they knew better to begin with but no they just had to do it and it came back and bit them in the butt…no need of crying now!

• ilovenaturalhair Reply

April 24, 2012 at 8:40 pm

Your post is misogynistic and you lost credibility after your first paragraph. As a longtime reader of Essence magazine, your absurd post about black women being comfy with”da white man” takes the greatest amount of delusional ranting, offensive rent I’ve ever read. ESSENCE mag, not withstanding this scandal, had always, ALWAYS been positive of black men. Your foolish accusation is insulting and you clearly have selective amnesia since MORE BLACK MEN MARRY WHITE WOMEN.

Do not go there.

• Barbara Reply

April 25, 2012 at 2:26 am

I read on another Black site that two Black males who founded ESSENCE are married to White women.

• radiah Reply

April 25, 2012 at 10:40 am

I am very glad to hear more black men are getting MBA’s I hope they share their success with a sister HOWEVER, as of late, that has NOT been the case, thus giving sisters no choice but to “rub” up against white and other men who may show interest and/or respect.

• 3rd-EYE Reply

April 26, 2012 at 7:41 am

Anonymous: Hey, you are so right and on point with this here. Its funny how people attempt to deny it as if they are the very ones guilty of it. Many people are just like robots in every way today. Whatever the media/TV airs, they suck it right in… Lots of Black-Women have been making excuses to date, and have been attempting to marry white-men for many years. Promotion through movies/films was the main reasons why. They subliminally made black-women feel comfortable with this thinking. (Movie’s like Body Guard, etc., twisted shows/programs & statistics consistently pounding the thought of their black-man, being no good or harmful to them, and they believe it.) Today, the combination of worshiping material things makes them desperate, when it was once Tabu given the history of America. It was once an unthinkable act. But this has all changed due to the recent years of overwhelming propaganda…

Now because a few famous black-men are spotted with white women or even get married to them, many of our sisters are quick to say its at a crazy level.. Its not. They act as if seeing 1 or 2 a year on TV represents several thousands out here when it doesn’t. There has always been more black-women dating white-men, then black-men dating white-women. Most black-men that will date white-women usually just want the experience (but this applies to all races), most men aren’t dating/searching looking for a wife the way most women are for a husband. We just view it differently, that’s not one of the 1st things on a man’s mind when dating..

We really just haven’t seen much promotion of white-men dating/marrying black-women in reality lately. Only on TV shows, its still happening regularly, but in real life its hidden. Even the white-males that are married to black-women (mainly the ones that are famous)seem to hide it. You never hear much at all about them when it comes their black-wives. Sometimes a few basic stories of family life that’s all, merely skimming the surface.

10. jimi p Reply

April 24, 2012 at 1:39 pm

Well it is too bad to hear that Essence Mag which has been around for a long time needs financial backers who probably is only concerned with financial end. Where is the Oprahs, Magic Johnsons, Michael Jordans – the blacks with the capital to purchase such a great publishing company like Essence. We need to tery to take care of our own.

11. Thelma Dukes Reply

April 24, 2012 at 1:43 pm

May I ask, what were those people using for brains? And how could you get a true, live, active racist in the first place? What is it about black people that they fail to understand? Did they think he knew more about black people than they did? Did they–I know better- think he was going to get whites to buy the magazine? Lord!

12. PJ Reply

April 24, 2012 at 2:09 pm

This is the main reason why I will never purchase nor have an Essence Magazine in my presence.

• Jacqueline Irons Reply

April 28, 2012 at 4:24 pm

I don’t respond to anymore of their solicitations. I’m through!! They have beautiful cover sheets, but no more subscriptions! After the original founders of Essence were gone, I tried it again, but it just wasn’t the same. Do your research!!!

13. Playrighter Reply

April 24, 2012 at 2:18 pm

I’m a bit confused here. Why is it wrong for a white person to work at a black magazine? Would it be wrong for a black to work at a white magazine?

As to the Facebook postings. Supporters of the people cited may not like it, but it’s based on fact. When Holder claimed no voter fraud, his polling place gave up his ballot to a white guy. That’s both funny and illustrative. Sharpton does act as a race pimp. Obama did have “adult” dealings with Bill Ayers, who still won’t apologize for his terrorist acts. People may not like these facts, but they are facts. That doesn’t make them racist.

14. Odile Reply

April 24, 2012 at 2:37 pm

“I have noticed for years how black women, especially educated ones seem to love to rub up against white males in the workplace.”

Anonymous, I beg to differ. Black men are the biggest sell outs in the annals of history and take immense pride in their betrayal. Look how they placed a non-Black woman to head Vibe magazine for the second time even though she signed off of the worst cover photos Black women…most prominently the one of Mary J Blige. She ended up successfully suing Vibe for millions. Our race will NEVER recover from the effects of your deeply entrenched treachery! The white investors placed Mr. ‘Bullerdick’ in the position. The original owners didn’t have the common sense to even attempt to sell it to Black investors…now look!

15. Jay Reply

April 24, 2012 at 2:48 pm

This intrusive control by hostile right wingers is occurring in many more places in the AA community. Black folks allow it…they want to sleep with the enemy.

16. Dave Reply

April 24, 2012 at 3:28 pm

Educated black women prefer white males,because white males have the resources to meet their needs. I know white males who do not have money
    and have bedded dozens of black girls because white
    skin means so much now.

17. Randy Bowden, Sr. Reply

April 24, 2012 at 3:45 pm

How can Essence magazine allow a journalist to have a staff position when he is totally detached from the black experience and a racist. I don’t understand.

18. Lorraine Reply

April 24, 2012 at 3:46 pm

I stopped reading Essence when they were bought by Time Warner because no person of European descent can speak for me or understand my experiences as a Black female. Apparently it’s come back to bite them

19. Blkwmnwakeup Reply

April 24, 2012 at 3:55 pm

I agree with anonymous; this type of behavior ines programmed. Regardless of education or class, it seems we have accepted the ” black women beware of black men ” notion; yet we wonder why we get to age 50 & never married…the white man isnt dare gonna make u his bride. Only exploit & degrade u. After centuries of being raped & humiliated by white man, some black women seem to think he is our best friend with our best interest at hear…..PROGRAMMING! Wake up!

• 3rd-EYE Reply

April 26, 2012 at 7:55 am

Absolutely!!!!! Very well said… [clapping] I’m glad to see a women not afraid to tell the facts the way it is.

20. Alicia Reply

April 24, 2012 at 5:00 pm

What actions, if any will be taken against this gentleman?? Public apology?? Retraction??

21. Davchi Reply

April 24, 2012 at 6:23 pm

Stop with that BS about him being thrust upon Essence. You didn’t do your homework on this racist and for everyone to be so niave to keep follwing this political correct BS and accepting lies instead of truth shows that many blacks are still hung up on acceptance by “whitey” and bend over backwards to please them no matter how much they are stepped on. 44 years since Kings murder and the election of a mixed-race President that white folks disregard that his mother was white and raised by her parents they and we look at his skin color. Over 200 years of overt racism will not be cancelled out easily by America’s systematic racism.

22. VSR Reply

April 24, 2012 at 6:25 pm

The fact of Christian Conservatives acquiring ownership of corporations in order to steer and influence geo-politicial and racial attitudes in America is unfortunately nothing new. If Essence’s financing woes required they get help after being in business for decades, the shame is that they could not come to their own to bail them out. As much as we spend annually on hair, as the $9B documented by Chris Rock in his film, we certainly had some of the cash Essence needed. The other sore issue is that I hope when the fact of hiring Mr. Bullerdick was suggested, as many sharp black & experienced Harvard and Wharton MBAs there are in this country there was not a single one on staff to phillibuster & argue the idiotic idea to hire him and win. I don’t have all the facts that pertain to this incident but I do know there are a good many qualified blacks that could easily get that done.
    Finally, I would strongly suggest and it won’t be easy, that Essence take steps to restructure their debt and seek other avenues for financing that will respect its history, its corporate culture and have a clear vision of what its continued existence as a black publication means in America. They have to survive without conservative influence.

• Playrighter Reply

April 24, 2012 at 11:35 pm

VSR: I’m curious as to your opposition to conservatives (personally, I’m a lifelong independent). Where are these “Christian Conservatives” buying up media (and how does that relate to Bullerdick, who doesn’t seem “Christian”)? While talk radio may lean conservative (partially because it sells ads, where AirAmerica went bankrupt), most TV and print seems to be liberal.

Also, why is “conservative influence” so bad? As I look around the country at cities that are in financial trouble, most look to have been run by liberals for a long time. What’s your take?

• Barbara Reply

April 26, 2012 at 4:36 pm

My sentiments exactly. I was an early subscriber to Essence and was so disappointed when they sold out. I stopped buying Essence. I also stopped watching BET when they sold to Viacom. Truthfully, I had issues with BET because of their negative programming even before they sold to Viacom. Hey, I’m not mad at them. They paid the cost to be the boss. I just chose not to participate!

23. Aviou Reply

April 24, 2012 at 6:42 pm

O.K., so there are plenty of Black skin and Brown skin minorities with degrees in Journalism, Broadcasting, Education, etc. so lets’ put one of them in that position and keep one there! This is not Racism, we are to happy to be accepted, instead of building our empire first. We are not in an equal status yet, and when they invite us in it is lay off time, outsource time, or let’s get rid of this business time! Don’t be so happy to invite the copy cats and haters in. Yeah there maybe 3 out of ten that truly believe in equality, but that’s about it. Give your own a chance first! Let’s be first on our totem pole!! Thank You.

24. Peter D. Slaughter Reply

April 24, 2012 at 6:51 pm

When I first read that this person was taking over.I had this strange feeling something like this would happen in time.
    I wonder why they never did find a black female from a black college to be in this position.
    If they get a real black female and a younger one too.This can put some real soul back(black) into this magazine.

25. brother don Reply

April 24, 2012 at 6:57 pm

It is so unfortunate that Vetting this talented gentleman did not reveal his anti-black rage stripes.
    Maybe there’s an equally talented ,experienced replacement on the market . color ??

26. DaTruth Reply

April 24, 2012 at 7:24 pm

Essence for yrs was my fav magazine, but it became a shell of itself when it was taken over by Time Warner. I was saddened when I learned that it had sold out to white corporate interests. I knew then that that would be its death knell. I stopped subscribing shortly thereafter. This is a sad, yet predictable episode, for a once great magazine. We need to try to hold on tightly to the few significant institutions that we have, because this is what happens when we give up ownership to those who don’t have our interests at heart. We reap the costs! Hang on in there Ebony!

27. oren elow Reply

April 24, 2012 at 9:23 pm

I bet Essence Magazine is the laughing stock of Fox News and white racists that they have a racist person, Bullerdick, just like themselves calling the shots in what suppose to be a Black owned magazines.Who said, “you can’t have your cake and eat it to.”

Black women should, please, stop buying and reading Essence Magazine!

28. Playrighter Reply

April 24, 2012 at 11:34 pm

• Playrighter Reply

April 24, 2012 at 11:35 pm

Sorry — duplicate. This was meant for VSR above.

29. bluemirror Reply

April 24, 2012 at 11:46 pm

Fire the person who hired him before he is fired. What kind of sound judgment is this?

30. Kencahu Reply

April 25, 2012 at 1:19 am

There are a lot of Blacks working for middle of the road or conservative publications. Should they be subject to a political litmus test? Do individuals give up their first amendment rights when they work for a company, any company? Does working for Essence or any other publication require fealty to the company’s politics? These are some questions as ingtelligent Blacks we should be assessing.

31. Joyce Clark Reply

April 25, 2012 at 8:46 am

A worthwhile read for those who have not followed the transition of ESSENCE magazine. I have not reanewed my subscription although they have made some very good renewal offers.

32. sam perkins Reply

April 25, 2012 at 11:29 am

That is the perfect example of a devil.Most of the white men that are hired by blacks deceive them. Deception is how the white men gets in, and on top.SAD!!!!

33. DOROTHY Reply

April 25, 2012 at 3:05 pm

We get what we buy or buy into. As soon as we figure out we are not in slavery and start leaning on each other we will do great things, until then we will still be slaves. We will learn to make our own jobs and hire our own people, at least this is my dream. PRAY,PRAY,PRAY, AND VOTE,VOTE,VOTE.

34. Rev. George Brooks Reply

April 25, 2012 at 11:30 pm

Essence is another one of many among the black media that are stupidly letting whites and Jews come in and, naturally, start dominating them and “running the show.” I stopped reading this rag long ago, and have convinced many others to drop them like a hot potato as well. Having one or two whites is okay, but they usually start dominating everything. And Essence even has some white and Jew owners, so I don’t fool with such “sellout Negroes” as these type. It’s the samething with BET, and a bunch of radio stations. And can you believe that the newspaper in nearly all-black Tuskegee, Alabama is owned by whites? And that the use to be Louisville Defender is 100 percent owned by whites. — Rev. George Brooks

35. Geraldine BIvens Reply

April 26, 2012 at 3:00 am

I just renewed my subcription but will stop it if what I have read is true. I hear and read enough evilness I do not which to have to read and hear it from the only magazine that relates to me as a black women.

36. KG Reply

April 27, 2012 at 5:51 pm

Affirmative action can be a bitch…

37. Jacqueline Irons Reply

April 28, 2012 at 4:16 pm

You know, it is amazing that I worked at a health care facility where this white clerical worker had a striking resemblance to Bullerdick. This clerk called patients who were predominantly black and told them that they had various kinds of dreadful diseases that were not true. But, when Essence hired this white designer, I was stunned! A white designer for black women? Oh, come on! Then she embarrassed a black woman by making some comment about she had to lose weight for her to make a stitch in her dress? Essence and other major publishing firms have to do background checks to know who the infiltrators are. And giving him a position of Managing Editor? Was “Essence” so broke to accept this mental crook? Unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!!

38. Angel Reply

April 28, 2012 at 5:14 pm

I think its time Essence start advertising and allowing the younger generation to learn of their product, to build readership.

We need to give support to the business by purchasing subscriptions. I will begin by doing that this weekend.

39. Keith Reply

April 28, 2012 at 6:06 pm

What is the difference then him and blacks with the same views? I believe Sharpton isa race pimp also.

40. Chariotdrvr14 Reply

April 28, 2012 at 8:18 pm

@Playrighter, print isn’t as liberal as you seem to think. The fact that you perceive it so shows one of the inherent drawbacks of a conservative slant on the news. The lack of transparency, and willingness to prioritize business and partisan politics over journalistic truth. Conservative values forgo social issues for one of conservative concerns about national security and business.
    You claim that radio talk shows partially slant towards conservatism but what conservative shows exist…and there are indeed far more than that…. many are extremist pushing a divisive and anti minority anti labor anti immigrant and, anti Obama message. Famous conservative commentators like George F Will and even Bill Kristol have very publicly bemoaned the fate of conservatism as of late… citing the current trend towards the popular rightwing extremism that holds sway over the GOP and the whole of the conservative movement.
    If the Fairness doctrine in journalistic standards hadn’t been repealed then we would have a balanced media. The truth needn’t be leftwing or rightwing…. truth itself has no political slant.

• Playrighter Reply

April 28, 2012 at 11:57 pm

@ChariotDrvr14: I agree that the truth has no politics, which is why I do not contribute to either political party. But I think the Fairness Doctrine would be used as a tool to silence conservative voices in a country where the liberals used to rule without question. Let the market decide which shows succeed. If the left can’t compete, maybe there’s something lacking in their product. That’s not “fairness”, that’s capitalism. I see conservatives as strong on business and defense, but also on social issues. Studies I’ve read say conservatives give more to charity than liberals. BTW, Obama’s ex Chief of staff Daley just said publicly that business owners and successful people in this country tend to be Republicans. And that’s from Obama’s former number two.

There are some extreme right wing shows. And there are some extreme left wing shows. But I have noticed (and I watch for this a lot) that when the term “extreme” is used, it’s normally attached to conservatives, as liberals tend to believe they are “moderate”. Try reading “Bias” by Bernard Goldberg.

41. davidthompson140@hotmail.com Reply

April 28, 2012 at 9:05 pm

I agree… This guy should never have even been considered for the editorship of ESSENCE….

42. ilovenaturalhair Reply

April 29, 2012 at 3:47 am

You are full of hot garbage, just like anonymous, blind eye, if you think, ASSume more black women married and date more interracially than black men. Check the stats and rise of biracial children before revealing yourself to be as stupid as anonymous. Just stop the b.s. And while you’re at it, check on how many black actors, producers, atheletes, musicians are married to white or non black women.

This story has nothing to do with interracial dating, yet your fools brought it up as if your were making a direct correlation between two different topics.

I’m so sick of selective amnesiacs like both of you posters, who clearly either have misogynistic views or apologists for the majority of black men having kids with and marrying nonblack women. Check the stats before popping off the keyboard.

43. ilovenaturalhair Reply

April 29, 2012 at 3:48 am

You fools don’t realize that the FOUNDERS OF ESSENCE ARE MARRIED TO WHITE WOMEN! LMBO!! Epic fail.