by Staff, YourBlackWorld.net

Star Jones has had enough with Basketball Wives and is launching a campaign against it.  After seeing recent episodes where women such as Evelyn Lozada have been fighting (with Evelyn climbing across the table to attack a woman), Jones says that it’s time to turn the corner on the destructive nature of the show.

Jones has this to say about the matter:

“It may be ‘comfortable’ to be quiet when women of color slap the crap out of each other & run across tables barefoot, but #ENOUGHisENOUGH.”

“About to put together a group of sisters to finally ‘tell the truth’ about the image of women of color in the media,” she said.

Star made reference to a recent episode, where Jennifer Williams was slapped.  Williams has decided to file suit against those involved, rather than responding with additional violence.

“And the thought that the woman from #BBW who was smacked doesn’t have the RIGHT to file assault charges is LUDICROUS! You NEVER give up your right not to have your ‘person’ intentionally assaulted unless you are participating in an agreed physical activity,” Star went on to write.

Star then issued a call to other women with platforms to support her movement.

“I’m asking all my high profile, platform having conscientious sisters who STAND FOR SOMETHING to just say #ENOUGHisENOUGH & call folk out! Be mad. But think about what I said. WE ARE BETTER than that. You’re either part of the problem or part of the solution.”

24 Responses to Star Jones Declares War on Basketball Wives: Calls Sisters to Stand Up Against the Show

1. Ethel Pierre Reply

April 26, 2012 at 2:58 pm

Thank you Starr for your campaign regarding the BBW. It’s out of control. I’m glad someone of status is calling them out. Shaunie enables Evelyn to act a fool. Do not agree at all. I got you Ms. Starr.

2. Berdell Reply

April 26, 2012 at 5:13 pm

It does protray sisters in avery negative light.
    Thanks Miss Jones ,mama said if you don’t stand for somethingf you will fall for anything”

3. Willa Reply

April 26, 2012 at 9:26 pm

I agree and thanks STAR! It is time to stop this negative image of black women. We all are not loud, hip swinging vulgar IDIOTS.

I am tired of having white people and black men portray all black women in this manner.

I have never watched this dumb show, will not give it my time.

• ilovenaturalhair Reply

April 26, 2012 at 10:51 pm

My sentiments exactly!! I too, will stand with Star Jones on this issue because it’s bad enough when white media focuses more on the negative images of black women, but when black media doesn’t hold mainstream media’s feet to the fire, well it’s time for black women opposing negative images about us to take back control and demand these a fair and accurate representation of positive images of black women.

4. Herman Hawkins Jr. Reply

April 27, 2012 at 1:30 pm

I will go beyond “Basketball Wives.” The entire genre of reality television has been insulting, not just those involving people of color. It has brought out the worst in people. I no longer want to hear about “what is real” as the fans of this garbage keep pouring out. Just because it’s real doesn’t make it right. Let’s go to war against all this crap, whether it is “Survivor”, “American Idol”, “The Bachelor” or whatever. Let’s instead push for positive programming that betters the lives of people rather than entertainment for entertainment’s sake.

• ilovenaturalhair Reply

April 27, 2012 at 10:21 pm

Agreed! I took it upon myself to stop watching those shows a few years ago, and feel better mentally about it. Those shows are extremely toxic.

5. Chiroqui Reply

April 27, 2012 at 1:45 pm

I agree that this behavior has gone far beyond entertainment! As women of color, we have had to battle, world wide, not only for our reputations, but for our humanity! The opinion of many “haters” is based on what is portrayed on these “reality” shows. I was born black, lived black, and even in the so called, “inner cities,” have never observed the type of senseless attitude and behavior, week after week, that this show portrays. WE ARE BETTER THAN THAT!!

6. Chiroqui Reply

April 27, 2012 at 1:50 pm

Apparently, these women had “mental problems” before this show came along.

7. Addie Peterson Reply

April 27, 2012 at 3:15 pm

I’m not a high profile, platform-having sister, but I am conscientious, and I, too, agree that “Enough is enough!” Thank you, Star, for taking this stand and inviting others to join with you. If we don’t actively work against the continuing negative portrayal of Black women, who else will care enough to do it!!!

8. DMarie Jackson Reply

April 27, 2012 at 4:27 pm

I just believe that most of the reality shows, reveals African American Women in a negative light. It does not help that a lot of our African Amercian Men agree with these comments which justifies them turning to women of a different race. They deem them(white women) to be less confrontational. I think the tv industry needs to take a good look at the types of programming they put out. To them it’s about ratings and money. To us as African American Women, it’s about integrity. No, I will not slap someone or act ignorant just to get paid! WAKE UP!

9. Janet Dickson Reply

April 27, 2012 at 4:34 pm

Star Jones thank you…enough is enough. If I am correct Shaunie O’Neal produces this show…but she rarely if ever as a cast member participate in the nasty inappropriate drama. That should speaks volumes to its viewers and supporters. How do you separate yourself from the show that you brought to the airwaves as the executive producer/cast-member? She’s very proud of her accomplishments with the BB-W”s.

And given her ratings she will broker more influence-in media for her ability to bring those viewers in to her show each week…yes, this gives here more $$$$ more shows to come.

This is pure an simple bulls*** on Ms.O’Neal part. It’s all about the money as we all know…an I doubt if we can convince her otherwise. She should and will be held accountable for this dirty a** trash of a reality show.

“Her rating are out the roof as she has said…”this is our fourth successful season.”
    We can all rest assured that they will continue to pimp their nasty ignorant a**** out week after week season after season. If we continue to view their nasty and dirty reality show each week. There’s no value or worth in the show at this point.

What we all can do is contact the network VH1 and the advertisers that supports this show. They will be convince then and only then…let’s take a stand with Star Jones on this one my sisters. They will feel the pressures only we we hold them all accountable.

Thank you Star Jones and Dr. Boyce Watkins for speaking out on this one.

10. Mz Reply

April 27, 2012 at 11:15 pm

Star,Really? Is that the biggest thing plaguing us?

• Choklt105 Reply

April 30, 2012 at 3:35 pm

I don’t think the craziness on BBW is the biggest issue that plagues Black women, but seeing that pathological behavior on display casts a negative light on all women of color.

BBW feeds into the stereotype that all Black women suffer from the Sapphire complex: difficult, mean, argumentative, loud. And, please remember that many see television as the “gospel”:if it is on TV, it must be true. TV, along with the negative shit white folks drill into the heads of their kids and foreigners, and themselves have all Black folks looking like buffoons or killers,and Black women either ho’s or the Angry Black Woman.

I have a White associate and whenever we have a discussion…any discussion…I
      Am asked, “why are u so angry? , “don’t get so angry!” I amNOT raising my voice, merely stating my opinion and I am accused of being angry.

BBW and shows like it do not help elevate public opinion of Blacks at all. It is tough enough to be Black in this country, we don’t need other Blacks putting their foot on our necks as well.

11. Howard Toliver Reply

April 29, 2012 at 3:14 pm

It’s about time!!! BBW is the worst portrayal of women of color on TV!!! Shaunie should be ashamed of herself putting this mess on the air. These women are about as triflin’ as it gets. We’ve learned one thing, money does’nt buy class. These women should be at home raising their children to NOT be the caricatures that they’ve made of themselves. Look at it like this, if there was NO money in BBW it would’nt be on the air!!! Plain and simple…

12. Jules Kendrick Reply

April 29, 2012 at 6:05 pm

It is very sad that there haven’t been MORE high-profile media types, A – list celebrities, etc making waves about ridiculous, low-brow, and racially stereotypical is the show. VH1 obviously cares less about how real Women of Color with influence, power, and substance truly conduct themselves. Star Jones is wise to call attention to the “minstrelsy” of it. TV, whether it be so-called reality or actual planned film with a script, can and should be held accountable.

13. Stevey Reply

April 29, 2012 at 9:13 pm

Where are all of the other women who immediately jump at the opportunity to say something bad about the black man instead of doing what Star Jones is doing. That is, calling out those who need to be called out. Where’s Oprah and Tyra Banks on the issue? These women are disgraceful and I certainly don’t want my daughter or neices to emulate any of them! Star Jones, you betcha!!

14. JR Reply

April 30, 2012 at 4:55 am

I AGREE STAR!!! I’VE BEEN SAYING ALL ALONG THAT
    THE SHOW DOES NOTHING FOR WOMEN AND GIRLS
    BUT MAKE THINGS MORE MESSY…WITH ALL THE
    NAMES AND GHETTO BEHAVIOR WHO NEEDS THAT…
    YES OF COURSE, YOUNG GIRLS AND OLDER ONES
    ARE LOOKING AT THAT CRAP AND THINK ITS OK
    PLEASE!!! YES, STOP THAT SHOW, SHUT IT DOWN!!

15. soldieroftruth93 Reply

April 30, 2012 at 8:47 am

You know… It’s amazing to me how we as a people are soooooo worried about how other ethic groups view us that we tend to try & portray this “holier-than-thow” Image of us anytime were seen on television. There have been slight scenes of violence on almost all of these shows Mob Wives and a few others. But that’s fine.. As long as sisters don’t do it it’s all good in the name of entertainment right? As if sisters don’t get upset with one another to the point of wanting to fight in real life.. Noooo they are pictures of perfect innocence. Come on people be for real!

The ethnic groups that frown upon us when they see us on TV will ALWAYS do so, no matter what image were portraying on TV.. Because it’s NOT about the character or the person behind it that causes their dislike..

It’s the Color of our skin! So even if we played upstanding doctors,lawyers,judges & politicians on screen we will always be revered as a “Ni##er” and will NEVER meet or exceed their expectations of us.. So why are we still trying?

How about people focus on something a little more tangible and a LOT more harmful to us as a people.. Like figuring out a way to encourage more Brothers to stay in school so they can attain legitimate income to provide for their children, instead of settling for the easy/quick money to only end up dead or imprisoned leaving our sisters out here to fend for them selves raising his kids.
    And having his sons to seek guidance from another man or these very same streets that daddy lost his life/freedom too.

This is what’s disgracing us as a people.. This is the “Pink Elephant” in the room.. Not a couple sisters quarreling on a TV show! It’s entertainment people! Get a grip!…..

16. Annie Reply

April 30, 2012 at 5:15 pm

Thanks so much Star. I can’t believe that VHI is thinking about suing Jennifer. Evelyn is a monster and Tammy is the monsterette… they are “keeping it real”..not… I will join you in taking this disgusting portrayal of women, these are just bullies and ghetto street brawlers….please call
    off Basketball wives…thanks

17. Procelain Reply

May 1, 2012 at 9:46 pm

Star, it is not just this show it is all of them. To know that the shows are being aired on a Sunday is bad in itself. My mom told me about the shows and what I got from them is woman behaving badly not just woman of color all of them. The anger these woman display should be fought in a war pending arena. They are displaying life to some of us. This is how we handle our business and we should not have to wonder why our kids are fighting and killing look at the adults in Charge. I agree with some of your comments, and I telling you why. Were you not on Donald show displaying the same, you may not have slapped anyone but weren’t you behaving badly? Also, stop acting like other racesdon’t act a fool too~~~ WE all tend to act poorly…

18. Flower Ann Holness Reply

May 6, 2012 at 7:59 pm

The problem with these shows is that the younger generation is watching and emulating these despicable behaviors. It’s difficult for me to watch and hear them calling each other the ‘b’ word. It cuts to my very soul. It is clearly apparent that ‘the love(lust) of money is (truly)the root of all evil. So many marriages have been broken up because of these shows. There are clearly other means of dealing with problem relationships other than on the ‘big screen’.

19. LaChaya Jones Reply

May 8, 2012 at 6:48 pm

I have been watching in horror but after last night, I was DISGUSTED at what I saw. What is wrong with these “women?” No one deserves to be bullied or hit or threatened, especially after only venting for being called “B, B, and more B.” They are a pack of wild animals with Shaunie as the leader. I’m wondering if they’re even thinking about what kind of examples they are being for their children. Shaunie can play the distinguished, I-don’t-fight role but she is just as guilty for letting this nonsense go on for as long as it has. Jennifer has done nothing to drag down the Basketball Wives “brand.” They have all done a pretty good job of that by themselves. And you have a sharp contrast with Shaunie’s ex earning a pH.D. Maybe they should be learning a thing or two from him!

20. full coverage dental insurance Reply

September 12, 2012 at 1:18 pm

You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this matter to be
    really something that I think I would never understand.
    It seems too complicated and extremely broad for
    me. I’m looking forward for your next post, I’ll try to get the hang of it!

21. Cinda Stawarz Reply

June 1, 2013 at 7:23 am

If your kid is enthusiastic to catapult his/her sports interest that would define his/her own self image there are several sports academies out there in your city to shape up your kids future in sports.Finally, if your kid is a basketball freak or if you are striving to find some great basketball academies there are abundant! Going online can also help to collect relevant details pertaining to nearby sports academy offering basketball coaching and training for kids. So, don’t give a second thought and get your kid enrolled in some good basketball academy and watch out the results!;^..,

Look into our new web blog too
    <http://healthwellnesslab.com/index.php/