Boyce Watkins: Trayvon Martin Shooting Should Spur National Outrage

Like any other Black man who doesn’t walk around with a gun on his waist, I found myself confused and disturbed by the shooting of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin (pictured left), who was shot by neighborhood watchman George Zimmerman , 26 (pictured below), last week after an altercation. RELATED: Florida Black Teen Killed In Gated Community By White Watchman As the son of a police officer, I understand the need to use deadly force, even if the defendant happens to be Black.  But in this case, I don’t see a police officer, I see a security guard.

More here:
Trayvon Martin Shooting Should Spur National Outrage

14 Responses to Boyce Watkins: Trayvon Martin Shooting Should Spur National Outrage

1. MingusJenkins Reply

March 18, 2012 at 12:49 pm

Worldwide, the outrage over the senseless killing of an unarmed black teen is growing everyday. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WeNIDYQ5jQg I strongly encourage everyone to sign the petition started by Trayvon’s parents Tracy Martin and Sybrina Fulton demanding prosecution of their sons killer George Zimmerman.
    Justice is coming.

2. Jonese Reply

March 20, 2012 at 12:30 am

If this is not murder, I don’t know what is.

3. Calexfo Reply

March 20, 2012 at 2:52 am

It amazes me how the national media is very lukewarm with the national coverage of Trayvon Martin’s story. I suspect that if the accused murderer was black, many so-called conservative neo-con hypocrites would be calling for an immediate execution. What about the status of the self-appointed executioner George Zimmerman, why is he still walking and claiming self defense from someone carrying skittles and a can of ice tea?

Doesn’t George Zimmerman qualify for the electric chair for his vicious crime against an unarmed 17 year old who happens to be black???

I do not buy the nonsense about Trayvon being suspicious, I call his death an Murder and demand that the police and associated authorities arrest Zimmerman, charge him for murder and pronounced guilty for first degree aggravated MURDER!!

The community that harbored such a bigoted racist like Zimmerman should be collectively sued in the death of Trayvon. Zimmerman has no excuse and he MUST PAY in many ways for murdering an innocent citizen.

The aggrieved community must see that justice is served.

4. Olin Ross Reply

March 20, 2012 at 2:59 am

This guy is not of the White kind…He is Hispanic……

• cheche Reply

March 20, 2012 at 5:44 am

News flash….There are many hispanics who have the nerve to hate black people and this is one of them!!! Mr. Zimmerman’s family says he is not racist but if you listen to his 911 call he says the young man has his hand in his waist band and he is black therefor making him suspicious!!! I hope they lock this murderer up and throw away the key. Idiot

• althea Lee Reply

March 20, 2012 at 6:19 am

He is Caucasian of Latino decent (WHITE). There are also people that are Black of Latino decent (BLACK). If you ask him if he’s Black or White…I’m sure he will say he is WHITE.

5. Danielle Reply

March 20, 2012 at 3:18 am

Thts a Shame it has to Stop they World had a Black man under the jail if it was the other way Round its go n 2 com 2 Black on White an they dnt want tht

6. JAGRANT Reply

March 20, 2012 at 8:05 am

I am outraged at this vigilante using hate, self-righteousness, and a racist heart by taking the life of this beautiful innocent child. Trayvon did’nt know this fool. He was 17 years old. This ogre was a complete stranger to him. I believe that was Trayvon screaming scared to death.

The cops told him to keep his stinking behind in the car. If he would of obeyed he would not have needed self-defense (which was a lie). He shot that boy for no reason. I hate it. He was a good kid. This man needs to be locked up for life. I am tired of open season on black people. They act insulted when we call them out for it.

7. Ixon1 Reply

March 20, 2012 at 10:54 am

There was no justification for the death of a young black kid simply walking home from the store. And I feel that the individual needs to be subjected to the hardest application of the law. Death penalty!! Since black people are considered a “Throwaway People” in the psyche of White America as well as the other races that deem us as unworthy to exist in this world. Even amongst our own people who would shoot up a house with an AK-47 assault rifle and kill a 9 month baby and then attempt to do a carjacking with an AK-47 as they did in Detroit a few weeks ago. Or the young man that was killed here in Atlanta while coming home from school by young black teens his age. Why? A simple answer is because we as a people have been devalued by those that do not look like us and those of us that do not value or remember those that died to make a better way for us as a people. Trayvon was my little brother, my son,my nephew,my grandson, my cousin. My heart cries out for justice because, I feel that his murder was premeditated and Mr.Zimmerman felt that he was the one to slaughter a black man that night and any one would do. It is up to us to become unified as a people so that those that hate us will fear what will happen when a black life is taken so senselessly and needlessly. Once we begin to get our collective house in order and only then can we as a people begin to break the curse of tribulation that keeps us from being united. If he had been the murder victim there would be calls from the white community to lynch the prepatrator in the media and then call for the death penalty and Trayvon would have been arrested even before all the details, facts and an investigation was launched. And he would be guilty even before a trial. How long will it be before we as a people begin to realize that we are on and have been on a list for extermination? When do we begin to check ourselves and our young black brother that have no regard for the life? How many more have to be sacrificed in order for us to get the message. Until we as a people begin to think and act as a nation within this nation. Our tribulation will continue increase.

8. Mike Pegues Reply

March 20, 2012 at 11:29 am

Hey! My brother; there are a lot of us who aren’t aware of the fact that there are just as many Hispanics that don’t like blacks as there are whites. I experienced it in the Bronx, and other parts of New York City. Dominicans are just as black as we are, and some of them have the nerve to call us monkeys. So don’t be surprised when you hear that one of us gets the bad end of a situation. They live among us but have a deep hatred for us. The way I see it, anyone outside of our race that commits such a grave injustice towards our young and defenseless should be dealt with the same way. Sometimes an eye for an eye is the only way to get your message across. When others find out that we will take action on them by any means necessary, they will stop doing what they’re doing to us. Until that time they will continue to kill us like stray dogs. Amadu Diallo, Eleanor Bumphus, Sean Bell, Trayvon Martin, Danroy Henry, and the list goes on….The central park jogger case where five young black brothers were wrongly convicted for raping a white girl in central park. A Hispanic male came forward and confessed to this crime for which these five brothers were convicted, and they found his DNA to match the evidence. These five brothers are still having problems to this day, because of the wrong doings of the NYC police department. They all did 6 yrs in jail, and have never been exonerated, because the NYC P.D. refuses to admit that they accused and arrested the wrong people, knowing that it was only one person. A lot of people don’t know that Donald Trump was the main culprit behind these young brothers being convicted of a crime they didn’t do. D. Trump was all over the air waves urging and putting pressure on the police to prosecute them to the fullest extent of the law. By the way…one of these brothers is now homeless. To this day I don’t spend a dime in any of trumps casino’s or establishments. I don’t care how many black friends Trump claims to have….it’s only because they’ve got money….When will we wake up?

9. Renelda Moorehead Reply

March 20, 2012 at 11:57 am

Olin Ross, I surmise from the perpetrator’s face and surname that he is both Latino and Jewish. But no
    matter, this man must be prosecuted. He shot an unarmed boy, a teenager, a young black American male.
    I do wish your president would publicly weigh-in on this particular heinous racist crime. He was quick to come to the aid of Professor Gates from Harvard when he was just harassed by policemen in Boston.
    I am well aware that Zimmerman was a paid gun-toting security guard and not a policeman. But
    the point is, no self-respecting black American man, President of this country, would sit idly by and say
    nothing; not a true brotha, never.

10. Andrel Hughes Reply

March 20, 2012 at 12:36 pm

I am sickened and heartbroken …this child lost his life because of a RABID RACIST just felt like killing a BLACK MAN..PERIOD!!HIS PARENTS HAVE SHOWN ALOT OF RESTRAINT AND CLASS.I cannot even
    fanthom the pain they are going through. I doubt I could be as level headed. Zimmerman needs to be put UNDER THE JAIL!!MAY HIS SOUL BURN IN HELL!

11. cheche Reply

March 20, 2012 at 7:17 pm

Its Nation wide now. I’m looking at CBS This Morning and they are reporting it also CNN has picked up this story. Either way I hope this A-hole is convicted. News report says this jerk called the police all the time and he always reported black males as suspect all the time. They better do something with this fool or he may have people after him

12. J. G. GRAY Reply

March 21, 2012 at 11:34 am

MY SYMPATY GOES OUT TO THE PARENTS, FAMILY AND FRIENDS, OF TRAYVON MARTIN..MAY HIS SOUL R.I.P.